Dolphins passed on Brady Quinn for Ted Ginn!?!?!?!

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by AtlantaJet, Apr 29, 2007.

1. feelthepain

feelthepain New Member

That's a good and fair question, I was watching the draft on NFL network when the Dolphins were on the clock, Rich Eisen asked Adam Schefter if it was just a foregone conclusion that Miami takes Quinn with this selection and Schefter said he just spoke with a Dolphin official and asked them that question and the Dolphin offical said, "not so fast".

So about 10 minutes before the selection I had a little bit of a clue that Miami (might not) take Quinn, plus they had Quinn on the screen for the entire time and you could see that he wasn't answering his phone. That was another indication that they (might not) take Brady Quinn, plus over the last month leading up to the combine around the Dolphin message boards, Ginn was dicussed quite a bit and how much Mueller liked him.

So to say I wasn't a little prepared would not be true. Was I disappointed? That would be fair to say, but you have to remember listening and reading for months that Brady Quinn was the second best QB in the draft and Miami might trade up as high as 6 to get him. It was all speculation on our part and we're guilty of falling for all the hype and talk. Working ourselves into a frenzy, that's why everyone was so shocked when Brady was just sitting there to be had for nothing more then our 9th and we didn't take him the reaction was what it was.

At the same time, name one teams fans that actually knows what's really going on. Look at the Eagle fans back in 99 when the Eagles took McNabb over Ricky Williams, the fans Booed and Booed it was like a replay of the Dolphins taking Ginn. Or how bout when the Chargers took Leaf in 98 the fans were elated happy and high fives all over the place pumping their fists with joy, but we all know how that turned out. Bottom line is us fans can be as happy or as sad as we want, but our reactions are by no means a glimps into the future of a Draft pick.

To answer your question I was wondering why we didn't take Quinn, I just didn't understand why all the hype and all the talk about trading up to get him and there we are with the chance to get him at 9 and we pass on him. There has to be something the FO saw in him that made them pass on him when he was ours to have. A lot of work went into scouting him, we had him in four different times after the combine. There has to be something about him our staff wasn't sure they could work with in order to pass on him when we needed a QB.

So all us fans can do is sit and wait, for these players to do what they do and judge them 2 or 3 years down the road. I will say this, I've watched as much film as I could on both Beck and Quinn and I didn't see anything in Quinn that was so great he should be on another level, now is that a guarantee for anything, nope! It's just when a player gets so much hype he's needs to clearly seperate himself and I just didn't see that in Quinn. Great College QB yes, but not on another level.

I never said they weren't entitled to their opinion, but their opinion is all it suggests, an opinion! The fact that Ginn is a Dolphin sure does influence their opinions. Saying he was a reach at 9, as I already stated above the fans aren't paid for their opions for a reason, cause their opinions usually contain more bias, then fact. Remember, the Dolphins spent as much time on Ginn, pre draft as they did Quinn. A lot of film study, interviews and personal workouts it's not just a snap judgment. The fans respond to what they see and hear more often then their own research. So if the "experts" had said "oh wow, what a great pick" then the fans wouldn't be calling it a reach, plus it doesn't hurt that Ginn is in your divions on a rival team.

It's real easy to see every division rival claim Ginn was a reach cause they watched the same shows and listened to the same chatter. AGAIN, as we've all seen in the past what the "experts" say on draft day isn't a glimps into the future by any stretch! So just let the players play and judge them on that, not what someone "THINKS" they might be.

#21 feelthepain, May 3, 2007
    Last edited: May 3, 2007
  2. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

Dolphins are in big trouble. The combination of a FO that doesn't seem to have a clue and a HC who seems overmatched spells disaster for the Dolphins. They are in for a long season ahead without any real hope for the future.

3. feelthepain

feelthepain New Member

A post I'll remember!

4. GreenMachine

Good. We still remember this:

Shall I dig up the Daunte is a GOD posts?

5. Coach K

Coach K New Member

oh man, priceless

[​IMG]

6. Stitches

Stitches New Member

I find it sad that any self respecting dolfan would claim Daunte would be God as you are implying. I don't doubt someone said it, but to think he would come in and immediately be an MVP player again was a bit misguided.

7. VaBchJet

VaBchJet Active Member

I think he's feeling the PAIN!!

8. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

It's okay, mang. I hear the Marino Recovery System is good for the pain you're feeling.

[​IMG]

9. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

Why does anybody think any offensive player will be great if they change teams? Don't people realize that RBs need great lines in front of them. QBs need great receivers and great RBs to be great. Receivers need great QBs.

Just keep that in mind this year if Thomas Jones isn't the MVP in waiting a lot of people here think he will be.

10. BLITZKRIEG

BLITZKRIEG New Member

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/pla...sports/1178354804234600.xml&coll=2&thispage=2

It did not go unnoticed by the inflated media throng on hand that Quinn threw consecutive balls into a brisk wind that could be described charitably as wounded ducks. Each ball looked to hit a brick wall in midair and plummet, one far short of the intended and uncovered receiver.

Quinn compensated on the next pass and overthrew a receiver.

====================================

At this stage, passing on Quinn for Beck sounds like a wise move. Those "floating ducks" are the reason why we never wanted him in Miami....

As far as taking Ginn at #9, Houston wanted him at #10. In that respect, he's not so much of a reach anymore. Besides, Ginn will add a whole new demension to our offensive game planning. He's a playmaker pure and simple, and that's exactly what the Phinz offense needed in my opinion.....

11. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

I mostly agree with you, especially on Quinn. I question whether or not Ginn is going to be a good player from scrimmage in 2007, however. He should be good on special teams right away. It may take him a year to be good on offense.

12. Dirtywater

Dirtywater 2005 Award Winner: Best non-Jets fan poster/Best S

Blitz, what would you consider your team's #1 need (I realize all teams have more than one, but what was your primary need) before the draft.

I think part of at least my amazement with the Ginn pick, was that I didn't think you needed that player first. I could be wrong and you would certainly know better.

13. GreenMachine

I thought the fins should have addressed the O-line. another year of Cleo or daunte running for their life.

14. BLITZKRIEG

BLITZKRIEG New Member

Prior to the draft, I was saying that the OL should be our main focus at #9. I was targeting OT L. Brown at the time. After he was drafted at #5, there really wasn't another OLman worthy of the #9 spot for us to take. So much for that....

Prior to the the draft I had read where Mueller was not ruling out the possibility of drafting Beck / Stanton / or Edwards in round two, and although I wasn't expecting us to pass on Quinn at #9, there was always a hint that Mueller wasn't confident in Quinn's skills. The fact that we passed on Quinn at #9, and instead drafted Beck at #40, proved that. Only time will tell if it was the correct decision....

Beyond OL / QB, I had the WR position as an area of need. We had just lost Welker, and during the days leading up to the draft, we were trying to trade WR M. Booker as well. That left us with Chambers / Hagan / Booker / Hakim / and a few no names at WR heading into the draft. We needed to add a burner, and what better guy than Ginn??...

Although he's not the most physical WR, he's one of the fastest I've ever seen. Maybe his route running is questionable at this stage, but a smart offensive minded coach can fix that. Cameron is known for taking the talent he's given, and getting the most out of it. Personally, I can't wait to see what kind of plays he'll be drawing up for Ginn. He should become a very valuable offensive weapon in the near future in my opinion, and regardless if people want to call him a reach at #9, we needed him in Miami....

15. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I remember when our FO had me convinced that taking Santana Moss in the first round was a good idea... and he wasn't even wearing a boot.

16. BlairThomas#1

BlairThomas#1 New Member

Ginn was introduced by Cameron to the Dolphins fans as a returner, not a WR. Regardless of what Houston was going to do (and their track record in drafting first rounders isn't all that stellar) how can you draft a punt returner at the #9 slot who might be a decent #2 WR?

I applaud the Dolphins for getting the guy they wanted, but was he really the top player on their board at #9? That seems suspect to me.

17. hickeyQB15

hickeyQB15 New Member

i thought they shoulda too

18. hazmat

hazmat New Member

They should have address the offensive line but really at 9 I can't think of anyone who would have been a good pick for lineman. I think it was to early for Staley or Grubbs. The question is does the Dolphins front office believe that Ginn can be a solid every down wr and a top notch KR/PR? If they believe he can be that good then he's worth the pick. Obviously Quinn was the obvious pick but as we know from last year taking a qb in the top 10 is tricky. I have no idea if Beck, Ginn or Quinn will be good in the NFL and neither does anyone else until they prove themselves.

The question for the fins is they have a defense that's aging quickly and they have a new coach and a gm who didn't have full control until now. How will they deal with the short term vs the long term and keeping their jobs.

19. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

It's Huizenga. It has to be. The mistakes are coming so fast and furiously the last few seasons that it can't be the people he's hiring. The Robbie family sold out to Huizenga in 1993 and the Dolphins have been in decline since then.

The guys who have coached the Dolphins for at least 4 years under Huizenga without reaching an AFC championship game: Don Shula, Jimmy Johnson and Dave Wannstedt. With 3 coaches of that caliber the Fins should have gotten to one AFC championship randomly in that time period.

The Jets had goobers coaching other than Parcells over the same timeframe, and yes Pete Carroll was a goober back then as he proved with the Pats after he left the Jets.

20. dclark26

dclark26 New Member

My thought's exactly. Though I "guffawed" at the Ginn pick, I didn't exactly turn a back flip when the Jets moved up to 14 to pick Revis. Then again, he could be great it remains to be seen. I am more concerned about who else we could have gotten at 14 , and not who the Dolphins drafted at 8.