Dolphins fan checks in on the AFC East

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Dr. Love, May 25, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BLITZKRIEG

BLITZKRIEG New Member

Why do you keep bring up the 2004 Bills???...Do you realize they dismantled that team during the off-season??...Obviously not...

2. Tailgater

Tailgater New Member

3. winstonbiggs

winstonbiggs 2008/2009 TGG Bill Parcells "Most Respected" Award

You think the fact that NE had 7.3 YPA and Miami had 5.93 YPA might have factored into the sacks? How about the additional 50 YPG or 6 TD and 1 less INT? Maybe it was the 4120 yards vs Miami's 3300 yards that had an impact on those two sacks? Maybe it has to do with the fact that in two games against us last year NE dominated us on both sides of the ball and in two games against Miami we dominated you on both sides of the ball in one game and out played you on both lines in the second game?

As far as Brady goes you can argue system all you want there are only two other QB's who can even go in the argument that Brady isn't the best QB in the NFL and that's Manning and Carson Palmer. When healthy I personally take Palmer over any NFL QB today hands down, my next choice hands down is Brady.

No doubt I have my bias but you are an outright homer who lacks any clear thought that doesn't put the Dolphins in the SB.

#243 winstonbiggs, May 31, 2006
    Last edited: May 31, 2006
  4. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

I agree with Tailgater and winstonbiggs with their posts of 242 and 243.

Brady doesn't rush for many yards, but he's great moving in the pocket, which is a huge deal in the NFL. Culpepper is not as good in the pocket and also fumbles the ball too much.

I'd also go Palmer and Brady 1-2.

5. feelthepain

feelthepain New Member

The Bills lost Drew Bledsoe,Travis Henry, Pat Williams and Teko Spikes in 05 they added exactly 0 FA's and their first pick in the Draft was Rosco Parrish, I guess you don't see a dropoff in talent from 04 to 05 in Buffalo, huh???

#245 feelthepain, May 31, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: May 12, 2005
  6. feelthepain

feelthepain New Member

We can argue #'s till the cows come home, but NE isn't really better on thier lines then Miami, at least not last year. You also know what I see from Bradys #'s is a SYSTEM that spreads the ball around. Thats not Brady being the best QB in the game, that's BB with one of the best systems in the game. One that takes advantages of mismatches, while Brady has to pull the trigger and and I give him full credit for that, BB is the one that puts it all together. So as you can see Brady is a very good QB in that system, but I also think their are other QB's in the league that could step into that O without missing a beat because of the way it's structerd.

As with any statement about the QB position, they get too much credit when they win and too much blame when they lose. The word system fits NE to a "T" and what the Pats are all about. Brady looks good because the system works. The system obviously works because they have 3 SB's, If Brady were so great why is it the Pats won each SB by just 3 Pts??? Brady didn't have record setting SB #'s because he did what he was told to do, and that's play the game the way we tell you to play it. It wasn't like the days of Marino and Elway and Fouts where they are given the control of the game because they have ability to dominate their Opponents, no Brady isn't that kind of QB he doesn't have that ability, what he does have is the abiliy to understand his role in the system and follows it to the letter.

I don't know what game you're watching, but Brady was nothing more then a piece of the complex puzzle that "was" NE, a key piece, but a piece non the less. The combanation of complaisance and teams figuring out how to beat the system is what the Pats are evolving into. It's too hard to maintain that level of winning and they will start to decline, not fall off the face of the earth, but they won't be dominant like they were. It's just the way it works in the NFL.

7. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

The Dolphins win 8 games max, which might be good enough for 2nd place at best in the AFCE..

8. feelthepain

feelthepain New Member

#248 feelthepain, May 31, 2006
  9. jaywayne12

jaywayne12 Well-Known Member

#249 jaywayne12, May 31, 2006
  10. feelthepain

feelthepain New Member

Wake up....WAKE UP, you're dreamin again!!!

11. feelthepain

feelthepain New Member

12. dabrowsk1

dabrowsk1 Active Member

Why? Since no games have been played, why is his prediction any less valid than yours, it is not like the Phins are the reigning champs.

I am just curious. Do the Phins have ANY negatives? Do they have any problems or things to work out? Or should we just give the SB to the Phins? It seems you laugh at everyone that does not see things your way and call them "biased," but it seems like you refuse to give any sort of unbiased thought to any arguments against the Phins no matter how they are presented.

And there are questions with the Phins. Even though Culpepper is an upgrade, how is his injury going to hold up? How will it affect his longevity or play? I don't think DC is the longterm answer at QB, so what is the Phins FO longterm vision for the QB position? Harrington? What about the Oline? It might be one of the weakest units on the Phins, so how it affect the play of a QB that is already injured? How about the aging front 7 on D? The Phins offseason was so-so, and not matter how minimal, I think the Phins lost a little on the talent pool. How will this affect the performance?

You might not agree with all my points, but if you truly have an unbiased view of your team, you have to acknowledge that most of the questions exist. So it is not so unreasonable, IMO, that people see them winning 8-10 games.

13. feelthepain

feelthepain New Member

Just havin a little fun, no need to freak out every time I post. I never said the Fins would win a SB, all I've ever said is that Miami will be better then last year. The Fins are going to be one of the better teams in the league whats wrong with that.

#253 feelthepain, May 31, 2006
  14. dabrowsk1

dabrowsk1 Active Member

Who's freaking out? This is the first time I have written in this thread in days.

15. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

Ok to make all the Dolphins fans happy.. With all their mediocre talent, the Dolphins will win the SB..

16. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

The Dolphins will begin 0-1.

17. winstonbiggs

winstonbiggs 2008/2009 TGG Bill Parcells "Most Respected" Award

BB record as a HC prior to 6th round Tom Brady starting for him was 41 & 57. That's with Kozar, Tomczak, Testeverde and Bledsoe. Besides Tomsczak who played for him 1 year the other 3 were 1st round draft choices. BB record with Tom Brady starting is 58 & 20 that doesn't include playoffs. The Pats went 0 & 2 in 2001 with Bledsoe before Brady took over and lead them to an 11 & 3 mark and a SB.

There is no evidence at all that BB has a system that is QB friendly what is in evidence is that when Tom Brady plays BB winning % goes up dramatically.

#257 winstonbiggs, May 31, 2006
  18. Mickey Shuler 82

Mickey Shuler 82 New Member

One man's opinion on SI.com. He's no more knowledgeable than anyone, but interesting.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/writers/jeffri_chadiha/05/31/no.superbowl/index.html

Forget these five
    It's not too early to discount some overhyped teams
    Posted: Wednesday May 31, 2006 11:52AM; Updated: Wednesday May 31, 2006 1:03PM

With my fellow scribes announcing their Super Bowl picks earlier and earlier, I'm taking a different tack: I'll tell you which five teams won't be there. I'm not talking about the easy picks, either. There won't be any 49ers, Packers, Texans or Raiders on this list. Instead, I'm going after those teams that have enough talent to possibly grace NFL-preview magazine covers but also have enough problems to leave their fans disappointed.

If I'm wrong about this, you can shoot me an angry e-mail. Until then, I've got a pretty bad feeling about these five teams.

1. Miami: The Dolphins will be a popular pick to win the AFC East for those who only look at how Miami finished 2005. Yes, coach Nick Saban did lead his team to six straight wins after a 3-7 start. But that run also included five victories against teams that didn't make the playoffs -- Oakland, Buffalo, San Diego, the New York Jets and Tennessee -- and a sixth win against a New England team resting its starters for the playoffs. The main question here is whether quarterback Daunte Culpepper can regain his Pro Bowl form. If he can't, then these Dolphins remind me of last season's Buffalo Bills, a team that rode into the year with a wave of high expectations and flopped under the pressure.

2. Philadelphia: If I'm an Eagles fan, I have some major concerns about this offense. It's starting to look a lot like it did back in the days before Terrell Owens blew into town. There isn't a receiver who really scares a defense. The running game isn't intimidating either, not when Brian Westbrook will be splitting carries with Ryan Moats and the oft-injured Correll Buckhalter. Even with a healthy Donovan McNabb back at quarterback, there are plenty of reasons to think that the best days of this perennial NFC contender have passed. One look at the competition in the NFC East -- where Washington, Dallas and the New York Giants have improved -- should cement that opinion.

3. Kansas City: This team could fall apart at any moment. First, they're old: A handful of key offensive starters are in their mid-30s, including quarterback Trent Green, Pro Bowl linemen Willie Roaf and Will Shields and leading receiver Eddie Kennison. They're also playing with most of the same defensive personnel that finished 25th overall last season. Unless the Chiefs do the logical thing and sign free-agent cornerback Ty Law, there's no reason to think this season will end any differently than the last.

4. San Diego: Another AFC West team that hasn't done much to improve this offseason. I won't believe that Philip Rivers is a better quarterback than Drew Brees until I see him play in a Pro Bowl. I also can't understand how a team so desperate for a reliable receiver to take some pressure off Keenan McCardell pulls off such a weak trade. The Chargers ended up with Rashaun Woods, a first-round bust with the 49ers who couldn't find a role on that offensively challenged team. Tight end Antonio Gates is a great player, but he's not going to keep the passing game from being San Diego's downfall.

5. Minnesota: As much as I like new head coach Brad Childress, I have to question his personnel on offense. He needs Chester Taylor -- or someone else -- to prove the running game will be reliable. He needs Troy Williamson, last year's first-round pick, to mature into a legitimate big-play threat at receiver, especially now that Nate Burleson has moved on to Seattle. He also needs quarterback Brad Johnson, who turns 38 this season, to prove that he's still effective. Those are a lot of needs for a team that finished with a flourish in 2005 (the Vikings won seven of their final nine). It's unlikely that it'll find answers to all of them.

#258 Mickey Shuler 82, May 31, 2006
  19. BLITZKRIEG

BLITZKRIEG New Member

This is the same guy who was bashing the Culpepper trade a few months back. That article was one of the worst, most biased pieces I've ever read in regards to the Culpepper trade. He sounded as if he was some whimpering Vikes fan in the process, bashing Culpepper left and right using nothing but his 2005 season as a means of evaluating his new situation with the Phinz in Miami. It was laughable from a Phinz fan perspective....

This artcle here is no different really. It's even more laughable that he would try and compare this current Phinz team with that of the 2005 Buffalo Bills. There's no comparison what so ever in my opinion...

20. feelthepain

feelthepain New Member

Mediocre talent??? Wow, it just never ends does it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.