Does it get better?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by NYJ1970, Feb 11, 2023.

1. NYJ1970

NYJ1970 Well-Known Member

Strictly speaking in reference to the 2022 draft, does it get better? Are all of the players in that draft still on the ascent? It's hard to imagine they won't get better than they already are?

Sauce Gardner - Well objectively speaking he was so good as a rookie honestly it's hard to imagine him getting better? After like week 6 he was already considered to be the best in the league. Yet, I still he can get better. I think he'll start to intercept more passes. His tackling at times left a little to be desired but it seemed to get better as the season went on.

Garrett Wilson - GW was truly an excellent player with horrific QB play no less. I don't think it's a stretch to say if we get better QB play Garrett still has a long way to go to reach his potential. Is 1,500 yards out of the question? 100 receptions?

Jermaine Johnson - It's not all that surprising that JJ didn't stick out (in a good way) like we thought he would. It typically takes about 3 seasons for DL to reach their true potential. Look at how long it took Quinnen. I think there's double digit sacks in JJ's future.

Breece Hall - Truly a bummer to see him go down in Week 7. Up to that time he was our ticket to the playoffs. He was a hands down the OROY through that Denver game as well. I think this kid is a 1,000 yard RB all the way in 2023 assuming he can stay healthy.

Jeremy Ruckert - This is undoubtedly the biggest disappointment of the draft. Pretty much an incomplete given how little he played. The coaching staff treated him a development prospect and word has it he's on track fir great things. I don't think he's arrived quite yet. I'd say at least one more season before we get an objective take on how good Ruckert is.

Max Mitchell - I think this kid is ready to be our starting RT. I thought it would be a disaster when he was forced to start for Becton. Instead he was solid. It really sucks for the kis getting blood clots. My hope is he gets everything ironed out with his health because there's no doubt in my mind he's got the athletic ability.

Mike Clemons - Clemons is headed for a much more prominent role in THAT DL rotation. I'm confident this kid was a steal in the 4th round. Even more impressive I loved his contributions on special teams. Had a blocked punt against GB that really opened up the game.

In summary, and I may be crazy, but I think ALL of the 2022 draft prospects have more talent to demonstrate in 2023 and beyond. I think that draft is SO good that we're talking about every single player potentially being a starter at the very least. Your thoughts?

2. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I'm basically all positive on this draft, but if you want to look for ways it could improve... Jermaine Johnson wasn't a guy that I wanted in the top 10, but apparently Joe did. I don't know if we didn't consider LB much of a need, but when the Jets traded down and grabbed Johnson, Devin Lloyd was available as well. The season proved that we need a huge upgrade at LB and Lloyd would have been a nice fit, but it seems like Joe had tunnel vision for Johnson. I don't think it was an overall bad pick, but that's how it could have been better.

Not sure what to think of Ruckert's mostly invisible season, but I remember some talk about his play late in the season. Maybe just a slow burner?

Michael Clemons and Max Mitchell both have an upward trajectory, I think they could both end up as solid starters if not better.

Breece will continue to be a good pick only if he can return from that injury to previous or better form.

Sauce and GWilson are untouchable. If we only had 2 picks and it was those 2, it still would have been a top 5 draft in 2022.

#2 abyzmul, Feb 11, 2023
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2023
  3. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Figuring out a way to move up and get Linderbaum would’ve been a dream where we took Johnson too.

The Jets have a two year window here with Wilson and Sauce where they have two premium players at premium positions on rookie contracts. That’s very rare.

4. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

In regards to Ruckert, they did give ca$h to 2 free agents, so he was destined to be starting from the #3 spot at best. He did beast vs the phins at the end of the season when given the opportunity, so hopefully that's a sign of things to come

5. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

None of it matters if we don't get decent quarterback play. It all hinges on that...

I saw video of Breece training & rehabbing and he looked good... fwiw.
    Don't know how much better Sauce can be physically... but he's a smart player so I bet he'll find himself in better positions to make
    game changing plays.

I'd like to see more balls thrown to our tight ends...

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  6. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

The one nitpick I'll make is the number of trade ups made in this draft. I'd be fine with a trade down this year to recoup some of the lost draft capital and to address the weak spots on the roster.

MDJets likes this.
  7. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

So excited to see if Jets win The Draft Bowl ...what else is new ugh

Br4d, Burnz and westiedog1 like this.
  8. UK_Chilts

UK_Chilts Well-Known Member

To pick one rookie of the year makes your draft an A-grade. To pick them both knocks it out of the park as exceptional. No other interpretation is credible. If Breece had stayed healthy we would have had 1 and 2 OROY. its a great draft and most of those players will be highly productive for years.

9. Wut?

Wut? Well-Known Member

If hall comes back to form and AVT comes back with a potential new OL at 13 + a new QB with decent play things will only get better.

10. Wut?

Wut? Well-Known Member

This isn’t the draft bowl thought, that’s the day after the draft. We win the draft bowl + the players have so far panned out. Still a lot of time to evaluate though.

11. JetFanInNE

JetFanInNE Well-Known Member

That’s a lot of ifs

12. Jets69

Jets69 Well-Known Member

We win that every off-season

NYJetsO12 and Br4d like this.
  13. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Every year:

May 1st - And the undisputed Champeen of the off-season is the NY Jets!!!

Dec 1st - Just End The Season.

14. KingRoach

KingRoach Well-Known Member

Dec 1st we were 7-4

15. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

And then J-E-T-S.

16. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

NY Jets ship of state December 1, 2022:

[​IMG]

KingRoach likes this.
  17. KingRoach

KingRoach Well-Known Member

Sure… but the. Why say “Dec 1st - just end the season”?

So many other more accurate options available “Jan 1st - WTF or Feb 1st - Our season starts now.

I guess I expect you to be either unfunny or inaccurate. Going for both at the same time throws me.

18. impure

impure Well-Known Member

Yes, any draft that you can get a Franchise QB.

If you can draft a Franchise QB and failed on every other pick... it is still a fantastic draft.