Does He Make Your Top 5?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by truthbtold, Dec 20, 2012.

1. Snoopdogg

Snoopdogg Active Member

It's not that easy to separate individual contribution to team performance (just read this thread), and so it's often hard to say "X disappointed me because the team did poorly". Individual stats, on the other hand, don't help the team that much but do fairly well to identify good or bad players IMHO.

One can argue back and forth whether 2009/10 was Sanchez or the good defence, whether 2011/2012 was Sanchez or the poor talent. I haven't seen anybody here arguing that Super-bust Gholston was mishandled by the coaching staff, lacked support, played on bad teams (or good teams), played a position where stats are not easy to come by (like Shaun Ellis)... Nope, Gholston was a bust because he sucked to epic proportions, plain and simple. And when get that from the #6 overall pick, well, that disappoints me. A lot. Really.

2. CowboysFan

CowboysFan Banned

I do not think Mark Sanchez would be in the top 5...he has had 2 real bad years and 2 serviceable ones. In fact his 4 playoffs victories as a starting QB on the road would disqualify him from the list.

A disappointment ? yes but not one of the worst bust ever.

3. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Someone will take a chance on him, if they manage to fix some of his flaws things will work out with him. Give him some weapons, not rentals, a strong offensive mind. It's best to get him out of here with a new team across the country. It's not meaningless at all. I could see a resurgence because he didn't get full justice here. Hopefully we get our shit together in the near future. Mark's done here, but the support system around him - he's going to be in the league for a while.

4. Snoopdogg

Snoopdogg Active Member

+1

I think that unanimity has something to be said for it. Was Broadway Joe a bad QB? Some would say so, based on his stats (TD/INT < 1, etc.) but there's no denying his impact and the fact that he had positives without a doubt. Mostly the same can be said for Sanchez. If 40% of the arguments are in favor of player X and 60% call him a failure, can X really be "the biggest bust in franchise history"?

I tend to think that the first and most basic requirement for being "the biggest bust" has to be that pretty much everybody has to agree that he _was_ a bust, and we're just arguing about the price. That's far from true with Sanchez (and Tebow for that matter, but I don't want to go there).

FWIW I was always on the fence with Sanchez -- didn't think he was elite but was happy to see him play, kinda like Eli. But Eli improved (a lot), and Sanchez backslid all the way to the buttfumble. Was it all his fault? We'll never know. It's clearly time for him to leave here, and I would hazard a guess that he will find it very difficult to get another starting QB job. I just think he's not as bad as is made out by some.

5. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

I started watching in 98 so I can't go back further than that. In terms of dissapointment for me, and the picks I've been around for:

1. Gholston
    2. D-Slob
    3. Mark Sanchez
    4. Anthony Becht
    5. Justin Miller

6. SuperBowl50

SuperBowl50 Member

We got 2 #1 picks for him 5 years later. Those picks ended up as John Abraham and Anthony Becht. Abraham, in turn, was traded for a #1 pick which ended up being Nick Mangold.

There's no way he's anywhere near a bust.

7. SuperBowl50

SuperBowl50 Member

This has as much chance of happening as Tebow coverting to Islam.

We know who he is. He's not a good QB. His CEILING is a game manager. He's never going to carry any team on his back. At his best, he'll not make big mistakes and will help the offense score 17 points. At his worst, he'll make lots of mistakes, costing the team 10-17 points with turnovers and field position.

Honestly, he's negative value. You get more by playing any guy that hands off 3 times and punts than using him.

8. jerseyjay14

jerseyjay14 Well-Known Member

coaches dont take chances on horrible players with no upside. there is nothing to correct. he is a terrible player with no instincts who doesnt understand the game. i dont think its unlikely that he never takes another snap once he leaves the jets. he IS that bad. arguably the worst player in the league

9. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

Keyshawn was one of our better draft picks. We got a number one pick and managed NOT to blow it.

10. NewYorkEveryThing

I would say that Mitchell and golston sufferesd from "Looks like tarzan and play's like Jane" syndrom.

11. NewYorkEveryThing

How about the kyle brady draft. It was a complete joke. I just remember watching it on TV. Every
    One was chanting. Sapp! Sapp! Sapp!

12. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

Agreed. Johnson has the stats and a ring to his name. He wasn't a bust, probably not #1 value but not a bust. A good player imo.

13. 74

74 Well-Known Member

Jurys still out but so far I'd say its fair to add Kyle Wilson to this discussion considering the likes of Sean Lee (the LB we are eternally searching for) and Gronkowski were on the board

14. Barry the Baptist

Barry the Baptist Hello son, would you like a lolly?

Thank you... I was wondering if his sorry ass would be mentioned. He blows. I'd prefer Dwight Lowery back there over this chump.

15. twown

twown Well-Known Member

1. Blair Thomas
    2. VG

It would be unfair to impugn any other players by including them in the same list as those two.

16. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

I can't stand when Kyle Wilson fist pumps after making a tackle 15 yards down the field. He makes me want to throw shit at the TV sometimes. However, I don't think he's a top 5 bust.

17. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

Jesus Christmas...... A Dolphin fan is a voice of reason.

Sanchez the # 1 all time draft bust? C'MON MAN

18. lakersmetsjets49ers

This, picking him as the biggest jets draft bust is a perfect example of living in the moment.

19. Brunell's Debt

Brunell's Debt New Member

I never called him a bust; in fact, he's one of my favorite players all-time.

I said that he was disappointing, and I stand by that. When you use the #1 overall pick on a guy, you hope that he becomes a cornerstone of a championship team. Keyshawn did, but it didn't happen on the Jets, and that was a major disappointment for me.

20. lakersmetsjets49ers

I agree with the disappointing part with Keyshawn. Still that divisional game against Jacksonville where he lit shit up still holds a special place in my memory.