Does adding D. Carr make the Jets a SB winner?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by NYJ1970, Feb 20, 2023.

1. NYJ1970

NYJ1970 Well-Known Member

Now, that Derek Carr is visiting the Jets this weekend I ask you the same question I did with Rodgers. Does adding Carr make the Jets a SB contender?

The way I see it there's certain paper bulls that will not go away regardless of what the you think the supposed timeline for the Jets may be.

Saleh, and presumably Douglas, have a playoff mandate hanging over their heads. I believe that. That's why I think the Jets are interested in AR. They don't want to leave anything to doubt. AR for them is the surest bet they can get their hands on.

With that said, either acquisition is not equal. Acquiring AR will cost the Jets more than Carr. Do you think by signing Carr and giving up some level of QB play, but keeping their draft capital, that the Jets can still win quickly? As in get to the playoffs at a minimum in 2023 and win it all in 2024?

The Derek Carr advocates definitely have a case to say he's the best option (all things considered) for the Jets right now.

Furthermore, do you believe Joe will continue picking aces like he did in 2022? Because this Derek Carr plan does NOT work without JD getting a heavy participation from rookies that Douglas picks. Hell, we'd need that level of participation from the rookies if the Jets get AR. Gone are the days of f*cking retard Mike Macagnan essentially saying, "let's take a wait and see approach about what we have in 5 years from now." Because that's how much time it took for a Macagnan draft to reach its potential and even after 5 years it was most normally garbage. Joe Douglas has raised the level of expectations for draft choices in NY. Fair or unfair, that's the standard Joe Douglas is now held to.

So tell me what you think. Is Derek Carr the BEST plan for the Jets?

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  2. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I think Carr is a better plan for 3 reasons:

• Better chance of long term commitment if he's successful
    • No draft capital given away
    • There is a chance that his best days are ahead of him
    I won't touch on the personality differences between the two, I will just say that Aaron Rodgers doesn't feel like the guy to me anymore. Carr still has a chance.

NYJ1970, Jojo, BrickcityJet and 7 others like this.
  3. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

There's no QB addition that makes the Jets as currently constructed a Super Bowl favorite.

In order for the Jets to become a Super Bowl favorite they need to absolutely fix the OL and we need to know that Breece Hall is healthy or another #1RB needs to be acquired. Then we need to see the defense performing at the same level it did last year with the proviso that it also needs to be a bit stronger up the middle.

What adding Aaron Rodgers or Derek Carr would do is give the Jets a real shot at a playoff spot. This assuming that the OL was solid.

4. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

No one player is going to guarantee a SB win. But Carr makes us a playoff team. Once you are in the playoffs, anything can happen.

5. GREG

GREG Well-Known Member

He makes them a playoff team. Get in the playoffs and see what happens.

6. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Not only does Carr make the Jets a playoff team, he also provides an example of how a NFL QB should prepare and play the position. If they're still trying to wait on Zwilson to develop, he'd learn a lot more from Carr in a far more stable situation. We're not going to the SB until we fix the leaks in our D and the O and yes, there are leaks in spite of having the DROY an OROY. We hopefully learned more from the 6 straight losses than the 7 wins.

7. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

I always look at guys like Flacco and Eli. If anyone asked you a year before each won a title “does adding Flacco/Eli make the Ravens/Giants a SB team” you’d laugh. There’s so much more that goes into it than that and there’s no way to know until it’s happening.

8. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

I've said for awhile now that Carr is my Option 1 this offseason. We can sign him right now, keep all of our draft picks, and get top 10-15 QB play out of him for the next 4+ years.

That level of QB play with an improved OL, and the Jets are 100% a playoff team in 2023 and beyond. JD has missed on a few of his OL acquisitions so far but the one thing we can't say about him is that he hasn't tried to improve the OL. He's tried but whether it's due to regression, injuries, etc. the OL still hasn't preformed at the level we (and I'm sure he) had hoped for. That's why I fully expect JD to continue to put premium resources into the OL until it gets to a satisfactory level. IMO getting the best available OT at 13 (Paris Johnson Jr., Broderick Jones, or Peter Skoronski) could go a long way to solidifying our OL going forward.

As many have already said in this thread, just make it to the dance. Due to the volatility of single-game elimination tournaments, everything after making the playoffs is a crapshoot so just position yourself to be in the dance for the next 4+ years and continue to build the team up with the resources you have. The great thing is we're in a much better spot than we've been in for a really long time with guys like Quinnen, GW, Sauce, AVT, Breece, Reed, Elijah, and JFM. We've got young talent at premium positions so go get your QB, continue to beef up the OL, and I really think we'd be poised for a playoff run in 2023 with room to grow going forward.

9. Br4d

If the Jets acquire Carr ZW is out of the picture barring an injury. Jets have ZW under contract for another 2 years and then a very expensive option year ( for a backup.) Any contract Carr signs will be unmovable over that span.

SOJAZ and Cman68 like this.
  10. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

Signing Carr gives the Jets a much better chance to win the SB. The Rams won the SB with Stafford and he is at a similar level to Carr.

NYJ1970 and Jojo like this.
  11. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

Carr doesn't make us a SB team because as we're currently constructed we aren't a SB team. If our o-line doesn't improve Carr is likely to have the worst season of his career. If it does improve, and carrying his large contract doesn't cost us a chance to sign any quality FAs, we might sneak into a wildcard.

12. Br4d

The Jets need to build the OL naturally through the draft.

Right now they need a D'Brick-Mangold quality draft, maybe just a step below that but in the ballpark.

BrooklynJetsFan, SOJAZ and Cman68 like this.
  13. bicketybam

You said that if the Jets signed Rodgers they would be good for 7-8 wins. What record constitutes sneaking into a WC?

#13 bicketybam, Feb 20, 2023
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2023
  14. Losmeister

Losmeister Well-Known Member

no. its NOT just a crapshoot once you get in.

6 superbowl wins by WC teams since 1970

thats 52 years

if it was simply a crapshoot the # would be the absolute % of WC teams to have entered the Playoffs since then.
    its not. its way lower? why?

cos its NOT a crapshoot. weaker teams usually dont eke thru.

Jets79 and Since1969 like this.
  15. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

Not giving up picks and hitting on some quality picks/players. But I doubt Carr takes us anywhere. He certainly isn't a QB that can put a team on his back. We "might" with Rodgers too? Just unlikely IMO.

The Raiders cut Carr because he wasn't worth his contract. Not just under performing, but he was missing practices, beefing with the coaches when they pointed out he was missing reads. They started fighting and it turned into a clown show which is why raider fans are saying, "don't let the door hit you on the way out".

His last 4 starts, when they were in the middle of the WC race, Carr went 63 for 118 - a 53% completion rate, with 6 TDs vs 7 ints, including a real stinker in the cold against Pitt. Their running game is what kept the Raiders in contention, and when they replaced him with Stidham, a guy with 4 career starts, the passing game actually improved.

16. GREG

GREG Well-Known Member

I don't see the Jets waiting on Wilson to develop anymore. Carr is only 31. I don't know what both sides are looking at contract wise but let's say it's a 4- or 5-year deal. I can't see Wilson wanting to stay here and be a backup that long. If Carr does sign here, he is doing so with the intention of being the starter obviously. I think the Jets and Wilson will part ways especially if the Jets get an upgrade at QB.

SOJAZ, Cman68 and ouchy like this.
  17. bicketybam

And the last one was 2 years ago

18. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

I think this makes sense. Of course you want to have a Mahomes, Burrow, Allen, so that you can compete year in and year out, that is the ultimate QB solution. But these solutions require drafting a top QB relatively high in the draft, and we missed out every time we tried this, including two years ago. Eli, Flacco, Carr, Stafford are in the next tier, where they could win on a given year when everything else aligns really well.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  19. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

I did say IF.... :)

Br4d likes this.
  20. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

I've read up quite a bit on the Carr-LV break-up but I've not read anywhere that he was "missing practices" or "beefing with coaches", can you source that for me?

Hondo Carpenter had a good write-up on SI about the whole situation with quotes from players and individuals within the organization.

I think Carr and McDaniels just didn't work out. Seems like Carr didn't feel like McDaniels was being genuine with some of his criticisms, which I don't think was entirely true based off of quotes from that article. Either way, McDaniels coaching style just seemed to rub Carr the wrong way. I'm not saying either person is really "to blame" here because it sounds like McDaniels style resonated with most on the Raiders but reading some of the quotes provided in that article, it's also easy to see why Derek felt the way he did towards the end. However, it did seem like both sides acted professionally and with class all the way to the end. So IMO, the Raiders cut Carr because they knew a Carr/McDaniels marriage was not going to work, so in a sense your first sentence is correct but it is a bit misleading IMO.

I'm certainly not holding Carr's departure from LV against him but everyone is free to read the article and come to their own conclusion.

ColoradoContrails, Ralebird and ouchy like this.