Do you think Saleh kept his promise to Zach?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Brook!, May 3, 2022.

1. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

Remember Saleh's phone call to Zach in last year's draft where he said "“This organization is going to lift you. Not the other way around.”?

Last year they picked AVT in 1st Round Elijah Moore in 2nd and Michael Carter in 4th and signed Corey Davis as a Free Agent.

This year they picked top 2 WR in the draft (Wilson) in 1st, top RB Hall in 2nd and top 2 TE(Ruckert) in 3rd.
    They also signed 2 good TE's in Conklin and Uzomah and brought a Pro Bowl Guard in Tomlinson.

Not sure about what you think but I think Jets did it right by Wilson. I don't mean to put the pressure on Zach or I doubt Zach. I think he is a student of the game with a good head on his shoulders. I expect a much better Wilson this year and I think he can be a Top 10 QB where you can win a Superbowl with.

My question is about Saleh's promise. Do you think Saleh and Jets kept their promise?

Jojo, KY Jets Fan, Ralebird and 4 others like this.
  2. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

Not last year but definitely this year. Last year the Jets did ZW a disservice asking him to carry the team by himself. Part of that was injuries having the worst defense, worst skill players and no OL. But, this year if the Jets can stay healthy he has a great supporting cast. ZW has no excuses this year if the OL stays healthy. This offense should do well if ZW plays competently.

X factor has a good article today where they compare the draft picks made on offense by Mac in 5 drafts to those by JD in 3 drafts on offensive help to the QB. Mac ended up spending about a 1000 trade value points on offense in 5 years. In 3 years JD has spent over 5000 points on OL and skill players.

3. WilsonJetsFan

WilsonJetsFan Well-Known Member

Zach was definitely not lifted by the organization last year. His Offensive Line leaked like a funnel, and he was often on his back before he could complete a 3-step drop. He spent games toward the end of the season with virtually no starters at OL, WR, or TE, and the backups did not play like starters. The defense couldn't stop an opponent's drive to save their lives, so Zach was often having to pass and try to dig out of a huge hole. The fact that they drafted Moore and AVT were good steps, but the on-the-field reality last year was not one in which Zach was being lifted up by this team.

I am excited about the offseason moves and the draft this year. I do think RS and JD are trying hard. As long as the rest of the pieces come together, stay healthy, and perform as we hope, then this season would move into the "promise kept" category. But last year was a hard 'no.'

4. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Robert Saleh can keep his word with good game plans and strong performances by the defense. That did not happen last year. Joe Douglas helped Zach this off-season. Mike LaFleur can too by creating a balanced offense for him with great play calling.

Zach needs to do his part too, but it is definitely a group effort right now at Florham Park. That is all we can ask for.

5. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

They are doing their part more then ever to help a QB. Probably most since Sanchez who just had everything around him to succeed

6. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

A year late, but yes, it seems like they've kept their promise. Like with Zach, we'll know when we see them on the field, but this is the best collection of talent - on both sides of the ball - I can remember since the 80's Jets team, and before that the SB team. That's it.

It remains to be seen if all this talent can come together and stay healthy and the CS can get the most out of them - I'm optimistic, but I've seen some really heartbreaking collapses that went against all logic and reason with the Jets, so we'll see.

Jeff M, Jojo and KY Jets Fan like this.
  7. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

The first few games last year were rookie QB malpractice. Horrible pass protection from our OL and RBs, long-developing plays despite that horrible pass protection, etc. GVR should've never been allowed to start. I remember being shocked at how bad the plan was, especially contrasted with how the Pats handled Jones. The defense also didn't help, given that they forced us to play from behind early in so many games.

LaFleur and the OL improved a lot as the year progressed and the team added a lot of help this offseason with Tomlinson, Uzomah, Conklin, Ruckert, Wilson, and Hall.

8. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

There are enough weapons around Zach for him to not have any excuses if he doesn't make significant progress.

9. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Our excuse basket definitely got lighter.

Time for Zach to step up and justify his 2nd overall status... that would be great.

[​IMG]

JETFUEL1580, westiedog1, FJF and 5 others like this.
  10. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

He really wasn't ready last year no matter how bad the team was around them. He should have sat.

NoodleArm and Ralebird like this.
  11. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

Definitely!

12. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

bickety. You have a tendency to go after other poster's claims. Not sure if this is one of them.

But Zach playing last year was the best decision. He experienced NFL pass rush firsthand with game experience and have a full offseason ahead of him to process that experience and adjust his play the second year. So no, him playing first year was not a mistake imho.

13. Losmeister

Losmeister Well-Known Member

nah.

he wasnt dropping back 50x per game.

they couldnt run consistently and their D stank. they didnt STINK on purpose and ask Zach to bail them out.

they DID start him off the bat, which i think is the way to go.

14. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

To zero in on Saleh's (and LaFleur's) single biggest failure in this regard, one would have to focus on the revolving door policy at offensive line combinations throughout training camp and into the preseason. It is unconscionable for the rookie to have been standing behind a line on opening day that had not played together before that game.

REVISion likes this.
  15. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

At least Saleh and Joe Douglas make promises to their players

What have the Owners promised the Fans? Higher prices?

westiedog1 likes this.
  16. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

I think they have.

The potential is there for this offense to be a top 15 unit if everything comes together now. This is by far the most optimistic I’ve been about our offense since I first became a fan in the mid-90’s.

westiedog1 likes this.
  17. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

I think they have. Now its up to Zach to hold up HIS end...

westiedog1 likes this.
  18. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

it is a great collection of talent I agree…but I’d have to throw those 2009-2010 teams in there too…loaded…great OL, great corners especially. Revis who really did eliminate the WR1 week in week out, receivers were good, Thomas Jones was solid…those teams were pretty damn stacked too…

19. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

2008 was arguably the most talented team we have ever had with 12 pro bowlers or alternates and a QB. In terms of supporting a QB I don't think any QB was put in a better position to succeed ever in the history of the NFL than the 2009 and 2010 teams. Best defense in the league, best OL, best rushing attack, run the ball 58 percent of the time, defenses completely selling out on the run daring the QB to throw. Pretty much impossible for any QB not to post huge numbers under those circumstances. Sanchez was truly special in how bad he was.

20. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

I think that's kind of the model they're going for here. Those Sanchez rookie contract teams.

Obviously Sauce and Reed aren't Revis and Cro and on the whole the current defense isn't on that level. You can tell they want to establish the run though which was a staple of those Sanchez teams early on, and having a 1-2 punch of Breece and MC will go a long way towards that. However, instead of surrounding Wilson with guys like Santonio, Braylon, and Plaxico for a year or two, they're drafting young guys that'll be here for the length of Zach's rookie deal and hopefully beyond. Add in all the investments they've made to the OL and this team starts to remind me of those teams, at least in how it's being built.

Now lets just hope we get similar results!!

ColoradoContrails, Brook! and Noam like this.