Do we draft a new QB next year?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Jojo, Jul 13, 2023.

1. jcass10

jcass10 Well-Known Member

I'd think so, but probably not early. They're projected to have nine picks, I believe. I cannot imagine that one of those won't be a developmental QB in the later rounds.

Assuming Rodgers is staying a second season, any rookie will have a chance to come and hold the clip board for a year.

2. GREG

GREG Well-Known Member

They have 2 years to figure it out as Rodgers is a great short-term solution. JMHO but I don't see Wilson as the long-term answer. At least not with the Jets. The Jets should be looking at QB's in the upcoming draft to find a successor to Rodgers. Or they could go the FA/trade route when the time comes. We will see how it plays out.

Ralebird likes this.
  3. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

I don't think we should draft a QB that's too raw. IMO we should start taking chances at 2nd tier QBs. The kind that go in the 2nd and early 3rd round.

Ralebird likes this.
  4. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

I think they should.

Best case scenario, Rodgers is here for the next 2-3 seasons and while I think Zach still has potential, there's no way they can go into their post-Rodgers era with him as the unquestioned starter. I think it makes sense to draft someone on Day 2 this draft and give him a year or two to get familiar with the system, speed of the NFL, etc.

It will be very interesting to see how the Jets FO handles the QB situation over the next few years.

Cman68 and papapump like this.
  5. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

We should draft one till we get a real one. No joke. No lie.

6. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

The Packers drafting a QB was the whole reason Rodgers asked for a trade. I think there might've been some assurances that wouldn't happen here honestly

JackBower likes this.
  7. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

as long as rodgers is here and we have a lot of talent on cheap rookie deals, we need to draft players to help us win now

8. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I'm going on what Saleh and JD have said with their own lips, not the opinions of a bunch of closed-minded, cynical fans or cynical media hacks. I'm also using logic. If the Jets had given up on Zach, why wouldn't they have: 1) kept MLF as the OC? 2) since they have SB aspirations, signed a better FA QB than Boyle or drafted a developmental QB? 3) Certainly a team with SB aspirations wouldn't keep a QB at #2 on the depth chart that they didn't believe in unless they were incompetent. Further, NFL teams are generally not so quick to give up on players as their fanbases are, especially when they were early 1st round picks. They have too much invested in those players. The Jets realized that they screwed up in how they handled Zach. JD wouldn't have come out and admitted that if they thought it was all Zach's fault, that they had made a mistake in drafting him, and had given up on him.

I'm not saying that the odds are against his developing, but sports are full of stories of players and teams succeeding against the odds.

9. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

They need to start looking for Rodgers' successor because I highly doubt it will be Wilson.

Cman68, KY Jets Fan and Ralebird like this.
  10. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Since we're now in the age of NFL Team-ups, the Jets should just keep taking the starting QB from other teams now. Who needs to draft one? Let the Browns do that stuff.

11. NCJetsfan

I don't see how the Jets will be able to either draft a QB or sign a FA QB next season. According to Spotrac, we are presently $20 million over the cap for next year, and that isn't including the 33 FAs we will have. We will be potentially losing quite a few starters and key backups, and both our P and K. The Jets will need every draft pick they have and UDFA they can sign to fill out the roster, and they're already down either their 2nd or 1st round pick (to the Packers), 5th round pick (traded with Jake Martin to the Broncos for their 2024 4th round pick), and their 7th round pick (Chuck Clark trade). They will most likely have a 2nd round pick, a 3rd round pick, two 4th round picks, and a 6th round pick.

#31 NCJetsfan, Jul 17, 2023
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2023
  12. papapump

papapump Well-Known Member

They most definitely should draft one and let him sit. It makes a lot of sense considering the uncertainty behind Rodgers. Might as well get a young guy to watch and hopefully learn.

KY Jets Fan likes this.
  13. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

Rats, you rained on my parade.

14. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

If the most substantive thing you can rely on is Coachspeak from the head coach and the GM who must maintain the value of every team asset, however diluted, there isn't much more to say on the subject. It would make no sense whatsoever to make any statements that would further devalue an asset that has essentially already been paid for in draft capital ("early first round pick"), cap hit and actual money.

LaFleur's offense was quite simply ineffective, that's why he's gone; Wilson is simply a footnote; the world does not revolve around failure. When the first game is played on a depth chart rather than a football field I'll place some value in it. The Jets may go into the season with the current QB set to save money but I would expect a quick signing at the first sign of a stubbed toe.I

And, yes, there are plenty of sports stories, many fiction, about success against the odds but the odds are there for a very good reason.

#34 Ralebird, Jul 18, 2023
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2023
  15. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

I imagine this will go down quite a bit once Rodgers restructures. I'm pretty sure his cap hit is like 100M next season which is obviously not going to happen.

We've got roughly 25M in cap space left for this season so I think they kick some money into this year and some into 2025 for cap purposes.

Whatever happens, I don't envision the Jets going on any FA spending sprees over the next few years. Things will definitely be tighter than they've been for awhile at 1JD.

Cman68, ouchy and NCJetsfan like this.
  16. Gremlin

Gremlin Well-Known Member

As we're 'all-in' whilst Rodgers is around, I don't see how we can waste any pick on a guy who'll only see the field if we lose the player that makes us 'all-in'.

KingRoach and NCJetsfan like this.
  17. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

You should draft one every year till you find one. If you have two good ones then you can trade one.

papapump likes this.
  18. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

My two cents. If the question implies are we using a high value pick for a QB next year, then the answer IMO is highly biased towards a no, and dependent solely on AR future. If he sticks to his commitment of 2 maybe three years then the answer is clearly not. No way they will screw up the chemistry If AR and the Jets have a successful season and he waltzes into 2024 fully committed as he is doing this year.
    For sure the high value picks will be used to make the team around AR better. Late round picks on a prospect are always open even for the QB spot.
    Zach future, non withstanding some experts declaration of his current demise, will be re assessed in earnest depending on what he does this year, learning under the watchful eye of a real QB, OC, and QB coach.

ColoradoContrails and NCJetsfan like this.
  19. NCJetsfan

Injuries happen to QBs too. If you have two good ones, why trade one of them unless it is causing a QB controversy or both QBs would be due big, cap-busting contracts? If you have a good QB who is your starter and you draft another QB who turns out to be good, you keep him as your backup QB for as long as you can.

JetFanInNE likes this.
  20. NCJetsfan

Exactly!