Do any of you play Football Manager?

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by Zach, Mar 13, 2006.

1. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

I am a FM fanatic, if I didn't tell you before. (Of course, soccer is a totally different game from american football, and both have their own taste of the game - and I do not intend to go over which game is better or whatsoever.)

I am asking this because, at least the management-wise, Madden seems a bit lacking and I feel that EA could learn a thing or two from the FM series. (i.e. player stat display, filtering/sorting function in search mode, salary cap display within the mid-season, etc etc.)

Well - I would love to hear what you all have to say on this. :)

P.S. You will love the game of soccer too, if you get to know it. Soccer is more of a strategic battle if american football is more of a tactical battle. Completely different feel. Moreover, football league (or soccer league?) boasts its influence on 4 out of 5 continents of this globe, *Europe/South America/Africa/Asia* and... there is no salary cap, but then you do not need to fill 11 all-stars in your starting lineup to have a winning franchise. *Not that all-stars are lacking. Indeed, there are more than enough all stars to be had. :)* FM 2005 series and on also cover the MSL as well, for those interested.

2. sanchizeqb

sanchizeqb Active Member

Love FM to death. Best game ever.

3. JHTJ

JHTJ New Member

Stop trying to push your sissy Euro sport on us.

4. DOOM

DOOM Active Member

love soccer .played for 7 years as a kid. I do not like playing against the computer though. They cheat too much...computer love

5. Royal Tee

Royal Tee Girls juss wanna have fun

You're kidding right?
    Soccer is more strategic than football?

Soccer may rely on strategies because that's all it is but it is NOT more strategic than football.

Hells no

6. sanchizeqb

sanchizeqb Active Member

It's sad... he made it pretty clear that he was NOT trying to get comments from those that disliked soccer and that he wanted no part in comparing the two sports. Having a boring day, Royal Tee?

Oh, and getting back on topic - what teams do you have most funplaying with? For one, I am half Italian and it's the league I enjoy most and have been following since 1997 (I'm only 17 years old, so...). I got this game about 3 weeks ago and have played with Napoli and Inter (my fav team IRL).

7. jkgrandchamp

jkgrandchamp Member

Ea has a new football game coming out where you are the head coach and all the decisions you make affect the team . Bout time they got in that market since alot of people dont like to play it but to sim the games and watch . My old roomate would invite a few of his friends over and bet on them .

8. ScotsJet

ScotsJet Active Member

I'ma researcher for Football Manager (Worldwide Soccer Manager in the USA) and it is simply the greatest game, in my opinion, there is. :)

9. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

If you read my post again, you will learn that I wasn't trying.

Oh. you're a dolphin fan. I should have noticed.

*So Florida got Jeb Bush as the governer, then got terrible elementary education too? That sounds terrible.*

10. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

Do you play Chess? Do you play baduk as well? If you don't play both, you won't understand what I was trying to convey.

Of course, american football does rely on strategic elements - but then european football (soccer?) relies heavily upon tactical elements as well. What I was trying to say was that, if I were to place both on a scale, tactical finesse would have far greater influence in american football. *and vice versa.* Of course this does not necessarily mean american football is less strategic than european football.

*In chess, tactics is the building block of the grand scheme of strategy - i.e. the greatest plan on earth can crash before the might of tactical blow. That is not the case in baduk - in baduk, you may even go without major conflict or a clash till the end of the game. It's all about what kind of game plan you choose. In my case, chess reminds me more of chess while baduk reminds me more of (European) football.*

11. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

So... for those of you who replied, what do you think of the "managing" part of madden?

Frankly, I was a bit irritated because I could not filter out the players that I had no interest in. *i.e. slow receivers/secondaries, weak linemen/LB/running backs, etc.* That meant I had to browse through the long list of players that *more often than not* I had no interest in. This was when I came to think "What if I had filtering function? FM has one!"

12. DOOM

DOOM Active Member

Send me a promo if it wouldn't be too much to ask.

13. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

I first started off with so-called power-house clubs. *Juventus/Man Utd/Real Madrid, etc.* Then... I got bored after a while. (around 2 years or so of game playing - I started playing from CM days - so that means I've been playing this series for about good 4 years now.) So... I grabbed a small team from a lower division, and got the team promoted all the way up to Serie A - and won triple crown with that team as well. (and that team was Ascoli, fyi)

These days... well. I do not intentionally grab the lower-division team, because the team I operate is weak of course, but then the competition is weak as well. These days, I play with Portsmouth or Fiorentina (and the like. lower-echelon teams in the first division. :)) I find it particularly challenging to play with weak teams in the first division, because then I have a weak ecomonic base (no superstar) and aging players (and again, no luminary prospect) and then, I have to battle against the relegation. So when I start these teams, I usually start the rebuilding process right off from the start of the first season, (and I must tell you, this is the most fun part of the game, if you ask me.) then expand the stadium, and usually try to get to champs league by 3rd season at worst.

#13 Zach, Mar 14, 2006
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2006
  14. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

You can download the demo version straight from http://www.sigames.com/

15. ScotsJet

ScotsJet Active Member

The demo is actually a try-before-you-buy digital download - ie it can become the full game if you buy the licence.

Mac version isn't available to buy that way.

16. Sect120

Sect120 Member

What happened to Australia?