"Django Unchained"- Tarantino's next film a spaghetti western

Discussion in 'BS Forum' started by Poeman, May 8, 2011.

1. odessa

odessa Banned

terrible movie, pure hogwash.

2. Scruggy

Scruggy Active Member

No hogs were washed in the making of this film.

3. Scruggy

Scruggy Active Member

"Django" is the new "N-word", but the D is silent.

So, never be silent, or people will think you are a racist.

4. Drew

Drew Active Member

Finally saw this tonight.. amazing flick. Easily my favorite by Tarantino.

5. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Saw it last night cute formula movie with a few funny moments and lots of flying fake blood. Don't get why anyone would think this fluffy entertainment was a great movie?

6. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

Saw it, Inglorious Basterds is still a bit better for me, but this is up there with Tarantino's best

7. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

Heh. yeah, some people go too far in piling on the superlatives. I enjoyed some of the performances very much, and a lot, but not all, of the jokes. Like i was disturbed when Lara was shot how the audience laughed. I for one could not remember what it was she had done to deserve being killed at that moment, and, call me old fashioned, I still have difficulty with the murder of women who do not clearly deserve it.

But the larger concern I have with the film is I am not sure what point it was trying to make, other than perhaps the sneaky one that Tarantino tried to combine a film that appealed to juvenile males while also burning into their heads the notion that slavery was a very bad thing. So I suppose that there was some point to it.

Don Johnson was really great in a relatively small part. Other performances were serviceable, but none really made a great impression. Waltz is an excellent actor, though, as is Jackson.

8. Barry the Baptist

Barry the Baptist Hello son, would you like a lolly?

I saw it last night and I liked it but like BB I can't quite understand why Lara got shot. Kind of turned me off. Maybe just because I generally don't like to see women get killed in movies but that was a headscratcher. I also am not a fan of the N word so I thought it gets overused quite a bit but I understand given the time of the film being made why it's used the way it is.

I thought Don Johnson was awesome, the entire scene with the bags and Jonah Hill was hysterical.

Just like Inglorious Bastards Waltz stole the film, that guy is a great actor and he is becoming one of my favorites. The opening scene in the film was one of my favorite parts of the film as he was pretty fucking funny.

Samuel L was such a bastard, I wanted to shoot him myself but his role was so good. He played it about as perfect as you could.

I don't read reviews and I hadn't read the thread so I had no idea how funny certain parts of the movie were going to be.

9. DemoIsland

DemoIsland Member

I actually LOVED this movie. But, I am a huge fan of Tarantino. Yes, he has one of the most twisted, insane, out of this world minds - but his work is always exceptional. Anyone catch him towards the end of the movie?

I heard Spike Lee and many others have boycotted the movie due to its excess use of the N word. A bit harsh and ridiculous in my opinion.

10. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

Yeah. I thought it was good / entertaining, but not "GREAT" like alot of people told me before I saw it...... maybe Tarrentino's overuse of the fake blood, and visual shock value gore/violence was a bit much.

11. eyedea

eyedea Active Member

Reservoir Dogs still the best movie. It was a good movie though.

12. DeathByJets

DeathByJets Well-Known Member

Hard for me to figure out where it ranks, having only seen it once. Here is how I rank the QT films (without Django Unchained):

1) Inglourious Basterds (very difficult call….but I think this is his most complete film)
    2) Pulp Fiction (seminal film….perhaps the best written movie ever)
    3) Kill Bill Vol 1 & 2 (I can't separate them…audacious film making….I make it a point to take one night per year to watch the entire saga….probably his most visually engaging film)
    4) Reservoir Dogs (more limited than his other films…but a great first effort)
    5) Jackie Brown (been a while since I seen it, but the fact that it isn't an original QT story, makes it a little weaker)
    6) Death Proof (I really don't even count this one, because it is really part of Grindhouse…easily his weakest effort….but that is by design)

If I had to place Django Unchained, I'd say it probably between Kill Bill and Reservoir Dogs. However, I think upon additional viewings it will have a very good chance of jumping Kill Bill.

And the top 3 are all in my top 20 favorite films.

13. eyedea

eyedea Active Member

Kill Bill was amazing.

14. DeathByJets

My ONLY complaint regarding Kill Bill is the ending. I didn't particularly like B.B. and the showdown between Beatrix and Bill was somewhat anticlimactic. See the following from IMDB:

The climax of the film was originally written as a sword-fight on the beach under the moonlight between Beatrix (clad in her wedding dress) and Bill. When the production ran long, Harvey Weinstein insisted Quentin Tarantino cut the scene back. All that remains is Bill's brief reference to such a fight while Beatrix sits on his sofa, and the poster for the film with Beatrix in the dress holding her sword.

In my opinion, that could have elevated Kill Bill to the Inglourious Basterds/Pulp Fiction level.

However, I forgive this misstep everytime the end credits roll...which are just fantastic.

15. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

Damn that ending would have saved Kill Bill 2 in my eyes...Alot of people felt it dragged and with all that talking in the end it would have been great to see a action packed ending

16. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

"Who 'dat on that naaaay?"

The Dark Knight likes this.
  17. DeathByJets

I don't really mind the talkiness of Vol 2 (Bill's Superman monologue is amazing)...but after the entire Bill-buildup the showdown at the table was a let-down. The beach fight would have been much more appropriate.

18. Barry the Baptist

Barry the Baptist Hello son, would you like a lolly?

I wonder if the movie was directed by John Singleton or the Hughes Brothers if he'd feel the same way. My guess is probably not. I found the word to be overused but you have to remember the film takes place before the Civil War and that was how they talked.

19. DeathByJets

Just watched the Blu ray. Just as good, if not better, the second time around. So many great scenes. My very favorite is the "I Got a Name" scene. This movie is right up there with his best. QT is the man.