*Dinner bell* Come and get it!

Discussion in 'Draft' started by PolygamyWinsChampionships, Apr 27, 2012.

1. NotSatoshiNakamoto

The only WR taken between the 43 they traded up to and the 47 they traded from was Jeffery. The Bears may have taken him anyway had the Jets stayed at 47, and if not they get a more polished guy in Jeffery. Of course there are other factors like another team trading in to take Hill at that point, but we'll never know. Did the Jets waste resources when Hill may have fallen into their laps anyway? This is part of the risk of spending multiple picks for one guy.

That said, I love the measurables that Hill brings to the table and I'm excited to see him play for us. If he can be anywhere near as good as the only other 2 with 6' 4" and 4.3 speed we got ourselves a hell of a pick and quite a steal.

2. PolygamyWinsChampionships

PolygamyWinsChampionships Well-Known Member

The two previous picks forced Tanny's hand. Glenn and Martin in direct succession took away the last of our bailout options if Hill got taken. We would have been looking at taking Jeffery if we wanted a WR four picks later. Fucking disaster. The price was a 5th and a 7th. Tanny paid it. Thank god he did.

3. NotSatoshiNakamoto

Yes, thank GOD. :rolleyes:

Maybe you've learned a valuable lesson that disagreeing with the front office doesn't mean you're wrong. Or maybe not ...

To be clear, I'm not bringing this back up only because you were wrong. I'm sure you could pull up a bunch of crap I've been wrong about. The purpose was to show that just because someone doesn't agree with the front office doesn't make them wrong.

#43 NotSatoshiNakamoto, Dec 30, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2013
  4. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Trading up is for amateurs and gamblers. If something really strange happens then maybe once in a blue moon. If you do it over and over again you wind up working as a sports agent.

5. PolygamyWinsChampionships

Fun bump. The lesson was not overvaluing amazing measurables when there isn't enough production to back it up. It isn't exactly like you were a Hill hater either making the Moss/Johnson comparison, you just didn't want to trade up to get him, which would've been identically bad if we took the same players the 5th and 7th rounders were ultimately used on, (they didn't make the roster.)

Tannenbaum paid for the bad contracts with his job, I suppose if he'd hit on all of the aggressive moves rather than mostly missing, depth wouldn't have been such a problem the last two years. If the blame is on bad offensive picks/draft strategy/contracts and there is a new GM/OC why should the defensive identity Rex has built be gutted? It makes no sense. I've posted and studied/learned a lot since this stupid thread, it's not really the same thing now.

6. NotSatoshiNakamoto

The point wasn't to say haha i was right and you were wrong. It was to not be a dickhead to people and act like they're foolish because they disagree with the front office.

7. PolygamyWinsChampionships

Sure it was, but aside from reading a couple months of vitriolic posts from 50 haters on your side of the argument, it also happens that there was no chance Rex was actually getting fired this year, whether you're right that he deserves it or not. You don't like that he's getting another chance, fine, but it was always going to happen and now it has. You and many others said he's gone. Myself and others said not going to happen, well Woody told Rex before the game and Idzik looked as genuinely behind it as we've seen from him to boot. 1 reply in kind after the inevitable decision doesn't come close to balancing the scales on the discussion. Sorry you have to watch Rex field another playoff team next year, putting together another team capable of a run.

8. NotSatoshiNakamoto

Yup, just like the Jets were always going to trade up for Hill. You were right buddy. Congrats. I kind of figured you wouldn't understand.

9. PolygamyWinsChampionships

I understand. You hate Rex and you didn't like me saying that people including yourself who thought he would be fired and should be fired don't get it in a less than kind manner. Well, I think you don't get it and apparently the new GM you seemed to like until yesterday agrees. I took worse for my perspective, not from you, but my comment wasn't directed at you either.

Most people including you liked Hill, I felt strongly that Tannenbaum would make a move for him or some of the other talent in the 2nd round. Predicted the move, didn't turn out to be the right player but there was still a plenty of talent at that spot in the draft looking back.

If Rex brings us to 2 more CGs in the next 3-4 years but doesn't win the Super Bowl what will you say then? That this day was a big mistake because you knew he wasn't good enough?

10. NotSatoshiNakamoto

Special. Very special.

11. PolygamyWinsChampionships

It's an honest question. Obviously you believe Rex can't get the job done. If he succeeds or fails miserably hindsight will be cut and dry, so I want to know what you think if he comes close again but falls short? Do you think that's what will happen and it's a waste of time, or do you think he won't even get close again?