Did Zach Wilson.....?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Brook!, Dec 12, 2021.

?

Your grade for Zach as of Week 14

1. Met my expectations

16.5%
  2. Didn't meet my expactations

83.5%
  1. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Oh what does Chad Johnson know? Did he ever even play football?:rolleyes:

2. Jedi mind tricks

Jedi mind tricks Well-Known Member

Sincere question because I'm one of the younger guys on this forum, have we ever seen a QB struggle with the things Wilson struggles with and turn out to be great??
    Obviously we've seen rookies start slowly but from what I've seen the guys who end up being great you can tell pretty early on. They might have a lot to learn still but they don't go from can't throw a 7 yard pass to top 10 QB

3. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

He didn’t turn out to be great but he had some good years when McVay saved his career but Goff was god awful as a rookie. He sucks again though so it was destiny. Josh Allen also looked pretty bad but he’s a monster of a human and ran around a lot as a rookie to mitigate his passing deficiencies.

Alex Smith as well but it’s hard to call him great. Another guy who linked up with a couple good coaches to fix his career.

That’s about it in the past 20 years or so. You can’t really judge quarterbacks before that because the game was so much different.

4. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Still having a better season than any Jets QB since 2015.

5. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

He's having a comparable season to Josh Allen's rookie season when Allen had better talent around him. Trevor Lawrence is in the same boat as Zach Wilson. Season is comparable to Josh Allen's rookie season.

cval likes this.
  6. Savatage

Savatage Well-Known Member

I'm not exactly ready to write him off just yet, but, at this moment, he's lightyears away from being mediocre.

Jets79 likes this.
  7. Jonathan_Vilma

Better? I dunno I’m not going to break it down position by position. But his offense was not good. He was their leading rusher and their leading receiver was first round bust Zay Jones who is barely the #3/4 in Vegas. They were also starting Vlad Ducasse at guard and a center who was out of the league the following year.

dmw likes this.
  8. Sack exchange

Sack exchange Well-Known Member

Zay Jones was 2nd rounder out of east Carolina, as I recall. Well regardless almost invisible. Vlad starting could be a problem lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. Jonathan_Vilma

Whoops good call. He caught a million balls in college and then had some sort of freak out on synthetic pot before the Bills traded him.

10. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

I think Zach has a better offense around him, almost top to bottom. I’m not even going to look at statistics because they are reflective of who each quarterback is and what their struggles have been. At least these last couple of games it’s very obvious that the game is slowing down for Zach and he is seeing the defense and making the right reads he just couldn’t hit the broadside of a barn. Total opposite problem that Josh Allen had. And not in a good way… He couldn’t read defenses OR hit the broadside of a barn.

KY Jets Fan likes this.
  11. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

yah…so looks like the simple answer is NO

12. Jonathan_Vilma

I guess. Allen also had one of the most unique turnarounds in NFL history. So it’s a silly comparison especially considering his size and running ability helped him progress a ton.

MoWilkBeast likes this.
  13. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

I’m usually an optimist here, and I usually do try and find the positives

for some reason, though, I can’t do it with this kid. I was really concerned on draft day with the BYU soft COVID schedule and was skeptical. I’m still cheering for him and I hope he develops.

but if I had to bet on it now, strictly on what I’ve seen on the field, I’d bet he busts.

I get all of the excuses:

1. The OL was atrocious … this was true early but not so much lately

2. The receivers drop a lot of balls … this was maybe true early, but this is more excuse than anything…every QB has receivers drop balls…I get the counts that the Jets drop more, but when you watch the throws, his balls are so off target that he shares a lot of the blame for the drops. Balls are behind receivers, or at their feet, or coming at 100mph to a receiver 8 yards away. I’m sorry…he’s causing half the drops if not more.

3. the playcalling was bad…this to me is pure excuse making. I think the playcalling has gotten better, and there’s been a lot of talk about LeFleur moving up to the booth…but I think it’s overblown, for two reasons. First, we had literally 3 other QBs run the same offense with the same OL and the same receivers and run it worlds better … and while Flacco is a veteran so it should be expected, White had literally less game experience than Wilson, and while Johnson has been around for years, he’s played very little in real games. I think that was an eye opener that three other guys, none of whom would be considered a really good QB, all looked SO much better than Zach in the same offense. That wasn’t because of playcalling…that was because three other unheralded guys ran the plays WAY better than Wilson did.

the other point here is that even if we say that the playcalling is better now, if that’s true then why isn’t Zach playing any better? He’s still throwing for under 50% accuracy. He’s still not scoring TDs. He looks the same.

this last game was horrid. Can’t blame it on protection because most the throws into the ground were not coming under duress. He just missed them. The rollout to the TE. The dumps to the RB.

those drops by Ty Johnson we’re bad, but those balls were off target. The crossing route was literally behind him. That’s not a drop to me…that’s on the QB.

I have no idea why he is so wildly inaccurate on the easy lay up throws. I know he can physically make those throws, so it has to be mental.

I’m concerned because I think fixing accuracy issues is not easy. I don’t think it happens often. You don’t see QBs go from 50% accuracy to 70%. You just don’t. So to me, the odds are against it.

so I hope he can fix it…I don’t think it’s going to change much this year at this point…I think he needs the off-season to take a step back and regroup.

I hope he can do it…but so far, it’s ONLY hope. He has not shown enough on the field to point to. This was his first game without a pick, which is progress, but he looked SO off that I don’t feel good about it at all. He sucked. Plain and simple. It reminded me of watching Bryce at QB…even just completing a pass was like pulling teeth…three and outs all over the place…

I hate to say it, but I felt much better about Darnold as a rookie than I do about Wilson.

I hope he proves me wrong

#113 Jets79, Dec 14, 2021
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2021
  14. cval

cval Well-Known Member

Most Qbs struggle. Elway was lining up over the guard.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  15. The Rexecutioner

I hope I’m wrong but the guy looks like a bust. Hopefully he comes out year 2 looking much better than what I’m seeing now.

Jets79 likes this.
  16. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

If there is a decent veteran QB available in the offseason via free agency or modest trade, and I think there will be, (Russ Wilson? Derek Carr? J Garrappolo, J Winston?), I think you have to inquire if you are the Jets. its a disservice to not to.

Its not a full break from Wilson's future, but he also doesnt deserve to be handed the job in 2022.

Ralebird, Pepsiguy5 and NYJetsO12 like this.
  17. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

People need instant gratification and the Jets have been terrible for 11 years now.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  18. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

So... Mike White, Joe Flacco, and JJ can light It up.

Just, I guess, when Zach Wilson Is out there, nobody really feels like playing all of a sudden?

This sounds like an excuse, than a reality check. We've had 3 different QB's look good In this offensive system.. One that has looked average at best In a couple games.

Okay though.

Ralebird, blackssmagic, SOJAZ and 2 others like this.
  19. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

I’ve only done around a quarter of the tape but it’s good and bad. More good than bad. The skill players really let him down this week… although it shouldn’t be a surprise.

20. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

we are terrible because we have no patience to actually build. last time we went for the "win now" mode it gave us 1 good season that we didn't make the playoffs and set us back 5 years. now we are actually building something we need to be patient

dmw and ColoradoContrails like this.