Did Zach Wilson.....?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Brook!, Dec 12, 2021.

?

Your grade for Zach as of Week 14

1. Met my expectations

16.5%
  2. Didn't meet my expactations

83.5%
  1. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

He's a rookie who is now having good games and bad games. It's better than earlier in the season when it was all bad.

ColoradoContrails, mrjet80 and Borat like this.
  2. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

This is an excellent post.

Pepsiguy5 likes this.
  3. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

Also not mentioned about yesterday is he did get through the whole game without a turnover for the first time. Now some here will sneer and say what does it matter when his throws are off target, lucky, etc. But it’s a big deal. He is making better decisions mentally, running out of pocket…. Nothing there…don’t take the sack just throw it away. Compare that to the home opener - he looked like a disaster. Even on his 18 yard scramble - yes he probably could have gotten more but the coaches are probably in his ear about sliding and as a rookie he probably isn’t seeing the whole picture yet. Next year that play probably would of resulted in a long TD scramble.

This coming offseason he needs to work on his fundamentals and relaxing a bit. Work on the short throws and ball placement …..

dmw and ColoradoContrails like this.
  4. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

Everyone and their mother's thought Lance was not ready. Out of all the QBs taken, he was the one that most definitely needed a redshirt year.

5. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

I agree that SF was stupid to give up what they did for Lance. But the truth is he has barely played and is still learning behind Jimmy G so its too soon to declare it a mega bust. He is genuinely being given time to develop. He still has time before the real evaluation happens.

I don't know if you guys have watched any Jacksonville games but they are in a way bad situation. Its pretty hard to say TL looks so bad when he is in by far the worst offense with by far the worst coaching staff. They ask Lawrence to carry the team every week and he has nothing to help him. Remember how our o-line was a 3 alarm fire the first few weeks. The Jags still is every week. Yet they still wont run the ball. Yesterday they had 7 total rushes for 6 yards. They keep asking Lawrence to sling it down field to 3rd string receivers during jail break pass rushes, and nobody seems to want to be there. They fall behind and Meyer basically wants him to force throws. Those are all viable excuses that Wilson doesn't have. This situation may certainly ruin Lawrence but he still looks much better than Wilson. If these two switched teams Wilson would already be benched or hurt and we'd have something closer to 5 wins.

Wilson felt like Sam yesterday in so many ways. Constantly misreading the pass rush to where he either bails too soon or holds the ball too long when its clearly a throw away down. Being way to cautious and afraid of INTs. And throwing off target. Like last season, by the second half it never really felt like we had a chance to score more than a FG or two. I think this is what pissed people off the most. Yesterday it felt like we were still in the same QB situation we were last season.

6. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Lawrence’s supporting cast and coaching staff is trash, but his interceptions were not a result of pressure. He had a clean pocket for two of them (threw a 101 mph fast ball on a 2 yard pass and a bad crossing route throw into triple coverage), another faced a free rusher and had five yards of separation when he threw a terrible check down and then another he had a clean pocket, eventually faced pressure and broke the pocket with a seven yard halo around him when he underthrew a bomb.

He’s been bad. And he’s supposed to be the superior prospect.

Lon Chaney likes this.
  7. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

My expectations are exactly like the Jaxonvile fans:

Prepare for the Bust

Hope for the Miracle

8. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

This is quite an opinion.

9. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Wilson has not met my expectations, but neither has the rest of the 2021 Jets. I am not going to pin it all on him. Yesterday was bad though. I don't like inaccuracy in QB's and he makes too many bad throws. He is in a bad situation either way, with all of his weapons out, but he still can place the ball better to the players he has to work with.

He is still a rookie QB. I think some people's expectations were way too high on him. He will continue to get better and hopefully will take a big jump this off-season.

The final 4 games are not shaping up well though with all the Jets injuries and having to play the Dolphins, Buccaneers and Bills defenses. The Jaguars game could be interesting. We will see.

Zach Wilson gives fans reasons to worry but also reasons to believe he can be an eventual star QB in the league. Time will tell.

Noam likes this.
  10. NYJFOREVER

Interesting that Lawrence gets excuses but Zach doesn't.

Lawrence, Wilson, and Fields have all looked like rookie QBs. Guys like Cam, Luck, Wilson, and Herbert having great rookie seasons are the exception, not the norm, and it clouds people's judgements when assessing rookie QBs.

ColoradoContrails and Noam like this.
  11. BroadwayAaron

Im fine with criticizing Zach because he deserves it, but when people start showing their ass like he did... you aren't credibly criticizing Zach anymore you're just letting everyone know you don't like Zach.

bicketybam and NYJFOREVER like this.
  12. NYJFOREVER

Oh 100%; he deserves to be criticized. You can't be skipping swing passes or missing wide open TEs in the flat like he has.

13. BroadwayAaron

And by the way "he" is in reference to the "Well actually Trevor Lawrence is fine it's all the team's fault" guy.

NYJFOREVER likes this.
  14. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

I didn't say he was fine. I said he was better than Zach and has genuine excuses for why his game is so bad. Even Sam had more valid excuses than Zach.

15. BroadwayAaron

I would say Sam had more excuses than Lawrence currently does and Sam looked better than Lawrence.

NYJFOREVER likes this.
  16. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

You really can't compare Lawrence and Wilson at this point. The Jaguars are more of a train wreck than the Jets (if that's possible.) You have a coach facing blow back from the viral video, you have a rookie QB demanding the coach play certain players and so on.

17. NYJFOREVER

1 touchdown pass in 6 games is better than Zach?

Interesting take.

18. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

I think TL looks like an overall better QB than Zach, and that he is in a much worse situation. I could easily be mistaken. But that is what my eye test says. If it makes people feel better to say Lawrance is just as bad as Zach then so be it. It doesn't change our situation.

19. Centiment

Centiment Well-Known Member

26th Dec we get the chance to compare them live, would be great if Zach leads us to a win but we all know how these things play out for the Jets

20. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

Genuine excuses :D Because Wilson is playing with a bunch of pro bowlers. And if you go by this forum, the Jets coaching staff should have been fired 4 weeks ago.