Did Zach Wilson.....?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Brook!, Dec 12, 2021.

?

Your grade for Zach as of Week 14

1. Met my expectations

16.5%
  2. Didn't meet my expactations

83.5%
  1. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

I think the biggest problem in this regard is the lack of consistency on which to base a judgement. It's not even a week to week thing but he has sometimes been a totally different guy from one half to the next. No one will ever expect the dirt balls and sky ropes to disappear completely but their absence for a couple of quarters or games does not write the book on his progress. That makes it very hard for anyone who laid down their claims of what he would become to be objective in determining what is "very obvious" today.

Meanwhile Sunday's game was by far the most entertaining Wilson performance of the season but the Mike White game blew it away.

2. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

You know you can’t just use a single player as an example for any case.

Only time will tell but when I watch this kid I see a player who struggled mightily at times early in the season against some of the best defenses the league has to offer, and a player who has made improvements as the season progressed. I really wish he didn’t miss 4 games but it is what it is.

Personally I have the patience to see how year 2 goes, but everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

PJ4Ever, cval and bicketybam like this.
  3. MDJets

MDJets Well-Known Member

Still Aikman was a top QB on a very shitty Cowboys teams that won only 1 game that year. If you want to point out that 1989 isn’t recent because the league average was way below than today fine, but I don’t believe you can’t knock TL , Fields, and ZW for not succeeding the following year or two because they threw more INTs.

I am not have been too impressed by ZW because of all the great said things that many believe makes him magical to be special or ala Mahomes. But I gotten over that and all I need is ZW is to be an efficient and smart QB for the next couple of years. That said we can’t afford to draft another QB as we have too many holes to cover in the draft and FA. I’m thinking Aikman was pretty bad in his first year and became a solid and successful QB, why can’t ZW and the rookie QBs do the same?

#583 MDJets, Dec 28, 2021
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2021
  4. Losmeister

Losmeister Well-Known Member

5. Losmeister

Losmeister Well-Known Member

i had no clue.....

Born the same day 22 years apart, Jets rookie Zach Wilson faces off against Tom Brady Sunday

6. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Spot on! The ignorance of Jets fans is so maddening. They are so blinded by their frustraton and hatred for the Jets' continual losing, that it has blinded them and totally affected their thoughts and decision making regarding the team.

7. NCJetsfan

Those who aren't seeing it, aren't seeing it because they don't want to see it. They never wanted Zach, they don't like him for whatever reason, and are determined to see him fail so they can be right. Their vision and thinking are totally biased. They only see what they want to see that fits their agenda and bias.

8. NCJetsfan

I guess all these QB experts thought that Peyton Manning was going to be a bust too.

9. NCJetsfan

In addition, how many potential TD passes have been dropped by Jets' WRs this year? Mims has dropped 2-3, I think Davis dropped at least one, maybe two. I think Moore even dropped a TD pass or two, and I'm certain that our collection of TEs and RBs probably dropped a few as well.

ColoradoContrails and Borat like this.
  10. MaximusD163

I know it’s always risky to extrapolate parts of the season, but @Jonathan_Vilma does it ease your apprehension over the TD/INT ratio for Wilson when you consider that in 6 games since returning from injury, he has a 2:1 ratio?

11. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

uhm…didn’t Peyton break the rookie TD record with like 30 TDS on a bad team? He definitely showed signs

not sure I’d use him as a comparison point…

BrowningNagle and Jonathan_Vilma like this.
  12. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

It does, but even more importantly than that is he looks comfortable. He looked absolutely lost early in the season.

I am still a bit apprehensive though because this very frighteningly resembles Darnold’s rookie year. But I am encouraged heading into next year for sure.

Jets79 likes this.
  13. MaximusD163

I agree, I’ve thought that each week since returning he has looked more comfortable than the last. I thought his first large step forward was the Eagles game. Was just curious because you had made a point of the ratio before.

14. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

that’s definitely a positive for me…seems like they’ve dialed him down or reigned him in or whatever you want to call it, but his yards per game are down…averaging under 200 or thereabouts….his completion rate has not improved…still in the mid to high 50s…so there is room for improvement for sure. And I’m ok with dialing down and bringing him along.

it’s worked…he may not be leading us to a lot of wins, but now he’s not the one causing the losses…big step.

I’ve been very skeptical of him because the stats suck…yes most rookies stats suck, but there have been more and more rookies stepping g in and showing they belong in recent years….Burrow and Herbert are the latest. Herbert had a MUCH better team around him, but Burrow didn’t. So it’s not impossible for a rookie to show signs.

I feel like the last couple of games he’s started showing signs even though the stats haven’t yet caught up. Stats say he’s terrible. Eye test gives context and shows a better picture, at least to me. His throws have been into tight windows because outside of Berrios, his receivers suck ass. He’s been more decisive. And he’s cut down the picks.

that’s what I’m pinning my hopes on…as the team hopefully gets better at receiver and OL next year, we should expect him to continue to improve.

I guess I’d say I’m hopeful now…at least more so than I was three or four weeks ago…

15. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

I know I said this somewhere but can't remember if it was here so sorry if it's a repeat...

I agree but also I think the scenarios are much different. Darnold got absolutely no help from the front office. We went and hired the worst coach in franchise history and on top of it, never gave him a "weapon" outside of Robby Anderson who is currently embarrassing himself in Carolina along with Sam. The offense Darnold played in was stuck in 2004 and the offensive staff was trying to fit everything into it rather than the other way around. The entire thing was a complete debacle. You could argue that up until these last two games, Wilson had a better situation in year one than Darnold had in any of his three years. And the fact that Wilson is playing better as the supporting cast gets worse is a good sign.

That's just the supporting cast... I think there's a difference in the play as well. Wilson looked SO lost the first handful of games and now looks confident and has almost completely erased the errors (in terms of turnovers and bad decisions). There's already been more improvement from Wilson week 1 to 17 than Darnold made in three years. I dont know, maybe it's just the coffee talking but I feel much better heading into this experiment than I did the last one.

cval likes this.
  16. MaximusD163

Of the four biggest issues he had early;

-Reading the Defense
    -Decision Making
    -Accuracy
    -Poise

All 4 have shown improvement. Not all 4 were improved consecutively in every game, but improvements in each category were present. The Bucs game showed improvements in all 4. It wasn’t perfect, obviously. But it was good.

Jets79 likes this.
  17. MaximusD163

I would have to go back and rewatch from 2018, but even though Darnold had an improved closing to his rookie season, I don’t think he ever had a game where he showed the poise and command Wilson did the other day.

18. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Lack of success as a rookie makes it quite difficult to become a elite quarterback. He obviously did not look comfortable like Herbert, Burrow, and friends looked in their first year. He looked more on par with Allen obviously.

That doesn’t mean he can’t be a good or even great quarterback though.

19. Sandman

Sandman Well-Known Member

6 games back I was very worried. I still held out hope but the lack of touch on some of the shorts passes, lots of over the head passes and behind the receiver had me concerned. But I also felt that this must be in his mind, speed of the game etc. He hasnt put up a game like White did yet. But I will say you can see he is progressing through his reads well. He shows some poise in the pocket, manages to evade some sacks and knows when to throw it away. This is all a massive plus. he has some athletic ability with his feet and now he is using his check downs much better. I like what I have seen and its given me hope.

I suppose now I would like to see him working with a full roster of our best Receivers but that is not going to happen. He has shown when you can rely on one ( Berrios ) then it works. With Moore, Davis and Crowder he would succeed to a higher level. I cant imagine we are going to get a breakout in terms of yards and TD's v the Bills. But If he can keep his current level of play then I will be happy. 2:1 ration into the last game. No silly picks. Read progression etc.

Jets79 likes this.
  20. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

not sure about that…it’s very subjective…Darnold had at least one 300 yard game that I recall…maybe more than one.

Zach still hasn’t had that…it’s not the be all end all, but it IS a significant accomplishment that Darnold did with arguably a worse supporting cast…though that’s debatable too.

in his first game, Darnold threw a pick six on his first drive against Detroit, didn’t he? And he came back and threw for 300 and won the game. That’s pretty damn good poise…

I just chuckle at the reactions … so many here bang on Darnold as clearly being among the worst QB in the league and yet laud Wilson as not at all like Darnold, yet their stats are probably very similar…maybe Darnold may even be better…not sure I’d have to go pull that to see, so maybe I will.

Darnold turned out to digress and not improve, whereas we’re all hoping that Wilson will improve, and pointing to various ambiguous things as proof of that hope…like “he looks poised” or “he looks comfortable” or “his receivers drop too many balls” etc etc. to me it just sounds like we’re all making excuses for poor play and exaggerating the intangible “he’s improving” stuff, while the only objective evidence of improvement (that is, real hard stats) actually DON’T show much improvement outside of the critical reduction in picks…

I will agree that stats don’t always tell the whole story. Little context…like who is he playing against, or who is at receiver, or what is the OL doing, etc. I think over the long run, the stats will tell the story. Wilson’s career is not defined handful of games he’s played so far. I’ve seen plenty of good things…more so lately despite the stats, and I’ve also seen plenty of bad things, most concerning to me the low accuracy,which has not yet improved, and sure, partly due to the crap we’ve had at receiver lately with everyone hurt…I fully believe if we had Moore and Crowder there this week his yards and c9mpletion rate would be better.

so I guess for me, I’ve been skeptical, but I have more hope after these last two or three games, but I’m not ready to crown himthe sure fire FQB yet…he needs to actually deliver a higher completion rate and more yards at some,point

MoWilkBeast likes this.