Did Zach Wilson.....?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Brook!, Dec 12, 2021.

?

Your grade for Zach as of Week 14

1. Met my expectations

16.5%
  2. Didn't meet my expactations

83.5%
  1. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

Doesn't help. What's his take on Ashtyn Davis?

2. JackBower

JackBower Well-Known Member

He's not that deep in the sand. But I don't get how it's not acceptable to even say Wilson improved.

3. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

For those saying Zach had a bad game, he's still 1st in QBR for Week 16 heading into MNF, so clearly he was doing something right.

4. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Well they are throwing the ball a lot less specifically so that he doesn't make so many mistakes, but sure. He hasn't thrown a million interceptions like he did in the early season. What a bar to get over. Lets celebrate

I mention Tampa & Buffalo because they probably aren't going to be able to get away with pounding the rock against them, so the interceptions may return. We will see

5. bicketybam

It's called ignorance.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  6. BrowningNagle

yah or clearly the QBR statistic is flawed. Joe Burrow threw for over 500 yards, 4 touchdowns and put up 41 on the Ravens. Do you really believe Zach Wilson played better than him (among other star performers)? come on now

Ralebird and Jets79 like this.
  7. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

I’m fully expecting him to struggle because for like the 17th time now, he has a ton to work on and he’s a long way from “there“.

And I’m not really into comparing any of their quarterbacks based off their numbers. That’s lazy and usually leads to a misinformed opinion. Trevor Lawrence has less touchdowns and more turnovers than Wilson, and Lawrence has arguably gotten worse over the last eight weeks where Zack has gotten better. Do we really want to base an opinion off of that comparison? Same for Zach and Fields. Mac Jones has also hit a rookie wall while Wilson is improving… Are we going to draw conclusions from that?

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  8. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Oh I'll take 500+ yards, 4 TDs and 41 points and a W every time over what Zach did, but the fact remains that taking care of the ball and winning count for a lot more than most casual fans realize. What Wilson is doing - especially since his return from injury - is exactly what the CS wants him to do. It may not get fans jizzing in their shorts, but he's applying the lessons he's learned and improving each game.

#528 ColoradoContrails, Dec 27, 2021
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2021
  9. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

What if I told you the top 5 for QBR this year were, in order: Aaron Rodgers, Tom Brady, Justin Herbert, Matt Stafford, and Josh Allen. Would you still think it's a flawed statistic?

Of course Zach didn't have a better day passing than Burrow, which is reflected by their respective passer ratings, Burrow at 143.2 and Zach at a 89.6.

Just saying, to be 1st in QBR would seem to indicate that we was doing something right, right? Maybe even showing signs of...progression.

REVISion and ColoradoContrails like this.
  10. BrowningNagle

You said you didn't give a rat ass about Davis Mills, numbers or not, thats what I was referring to

I fully expect Wilson to struggle as well and people to find progress in those struggles

11. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

I still don't get how QBR works. Passer rating, while not perfect, is clearly defined and paints an accurate picture of a QB's performance.

12. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

I mean, the fact that Rodgers, Brady, Herbert, Stafford, and Allen are the 5 best guys in terms of QBR would seem to indicate it's a pretty accurate measure of good QB play though, right?

13. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Speakng of Jones, I finally got to see a little of him yesterday. I was high on Jones before the draft, suggesting that if JD traded back he'd be a guy to target, and expressed fear that the Pats would get him, which proved to be a well founded fear. So I wasn't surprised that he was doing so well under BB on an established team.

But he didn't look so great in the time I watched him yesterday. Facing a legitimate pass rush and defense he looked like a rookie, which is fine because he is, but he sure didn't look any better - if at all - than Zach has recently. He was a great pick by the Pats, and is going to be a very good QB for them, but if he had to play on this Jets team with the situation Zach has had, he'd be lucky to still be upright.

Jets79 and Borat like this.
  14. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

It's nice to be mentioned alongside those guys for sure.

It's my understanding QBR tries to consider the context of situations the QB is in. Does he produce when the game is winnable? Does he pad his stats in garbage time? Does he throw catchable passes, but his receivers drop them? Things like that.

15. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

Wilson went from being inaccurate and throwing lots of picks to just being inaccurate. That's definitely a big improvement considering how devastating turnovers are.

Has he been playing especially well? No. But he's definitely improving from earlier this year. He's currently having the type of games we hoped he'd have as a rookie aside from missing the easy throws still. He's having the type of games people praised Jones and Belichick for having earlier in the season.

Jets79, Borat and ColoradoContrails like this.
  16. bicketybam

It's a bullshit stat made up by ESPN and they won't even tell you how it's calculated. I never use it as any sort of metric when it comes to evaluating a QB performance.

Noam likes this.
  17. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

That's correct. And on top of it he is making plays Jones can't make, like a TD run yesterday or even that throw on the run to McDermott off a broken play. Also yesterday in terms of missing easy throws, he missed just one. Then on the very next play he hits Smith for easy first down catch, who promptly drops the ball.

18. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

QBR has been around for like 15 years and they still won't reveal their "formula" for calculating it, probably because it's secret ingredient is ratings. There's plenty of other good stats to rely on without lowering yourself to telling ESPN fairy tales.

Jets79 and cval like this.
  19. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

That was by far his worst game of the season, and like you said he is a rookie. Now, I am not sure if Zach would do as well as he has on Pats, but I agree with you though, he would get murdered on the Jets. Honestly, with Moore and Davis out, and TE level 10 times worse than Mac has on the Pats, where would he even throw the ball? It's not like we can just run all game with him throwing 3 passes all game like he did against Bills last time. This time Bills adjusted and forced him to throw and you saw what happened. And this is on NE team. Imagine what he does on the Jets against the Bills.

NCJetsfan, Jets79, cval and 1 other person like this.
  20. cval

cval Well-Known Member

The point is not that he should have shown more or not it is that he is held to lower standard than Zach. They have both been in horrible positions this season. There is a reason the Jets and Jags are two worst teams in the league. They both have tremendous potential and both will be good for a long time in the league IMHO.

Everyone is praising Mac Jones but look what happened to him when he was asked to do more.

We just need to have more realistic expectations for rookie QBs.