Did the Jets meet your week one expectations?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by bicketybam, Sep 13, 2022.

?

Did below Jets units meet your expectation?

1. Offense - Yes

32.3%
  2. Offense -No

64.5%
  3. Defense - Yes

71.0%
  4. Defense -No

22.6%
  5. Special Teams -Yes

12.9%
  6. Special Teams - No

74.2%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

Maybe @Brook! can add a poll for me but I can't via Tapatalk.

You know what you expected out of week one.....which was probably a blowout, totally uncompetitive loss. Did they Jets meet you expectation?

For me it's a no. I was counting on pretty much all 3 and outs by the Jets offense and long scoring drives on every possession by the Ravens. I figured on a final score of 31-3. Instead I actually got a competitive game for a little over a half with chances to tighten it up in the second half. I honestly thought the Ravens would move the ball at will. I was pleasantly surprised. While I expected a loss I thought we would have gotten beat a hell of a lot worse.

PJ4Ever, TwoHeadedMonster and Noam like this.
  2. No Fly Zone

No Fly Zone Well-Known Member

Considering the following inactives from the Ravens I think they did worse than I expected.

Missing 2 OT's, Marcus Peters and JK Dobbins and they still sh*t the bed.

The Baltimore Ravens have declared CB Marcus Peters, OT Ronnie Stanley, DT Travis X. Jones, RB J.K. Dobbins, OL Daniel Faalele and TE Nick Boyle inactive for Week 1

3. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Well, my pre-season expectations for Week 1 was to shock the world with a nice win over the Ravens. Zach Wilson would show he is a franchise QB and the Jets would be reborn with a 31-21 win.

After his injury, I did not expect Flacco to get the win. I did expect the Jets defense to play well, which they did. I thought maybe they could pull out a 20-17 win if the defense played strong, but a 28-17 loss was more likely.

It ended up 24-9, but how the Jets got to that result was the frustrating part.

PJ4Ever and bicketybam like this.
  4. bicketybam

You expected a win? With Flacco?

5. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

No. The defense was slightly better than expected and the offense was considerably worse than expected. But it was only one game.

6. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

The D was a little better than I expected and the O was a little worse than I expected. I didn't think the D could play so well so early. Also, I thought the O would be better given the massive upgrade in talent. They made bad mistakes all game though.

7. No Fly Zone

No Fly Zone Well-Known Member

lol god NO! I expected a competitive game. Baltimore's receiving group is pretty weak, their RB group without Dobbins is pretty weak and missing 2 OT's should made this more competitive. Flacco is the new Brunell, the guy should NEVER see the field.

ouchy likes this.
  8. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Yes I've expected the Jets to be in the running for the first pick, and they looked the part.

9. bicketybam

25-6
    26-0
    54-13
    45-30
    45-17
    33-18
    30-9

Those are blowout losses. I don't see the Ravens game as a blowout loss.

10. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

45-30 and 33-18 are as bad as 24-9. But the real tell is we were losing 24-3 at the two minute warning.

11. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

The defense was a lot better than I expected and the o much worse.

PJ4Ever likes this.
  12. bicketybam

I'll give you the 33-18 Eagles game but the Colts game was 28-10 at the half.

13. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

Good thread. With all of the emotion, reaction and balancing (1) the understanding that this is a rebuild with (2) a need to see a lot of progress and (3) the feeling of being sick as fans of not seeing them win, it's a good check-in.

For me, I would say they surpassed expectations in some ways, but fell short in others. I wasn't expecting a win...

The defense had all the makings of being improved on paper (minus the run defense perhaps) but I was skeptical it actually would look better. Mainly coming from my concern about Jeff Ulbrich. However, they were a lot better than expected and was very encouraged by the performance for the most part. I'm pumped about Reed and Sauce, who I had very high hopes for and they might have surpassed them. Shocked how well they contained Lamar and the run. Overall, this looks like the makings of a quality defense and excited to see them as the season goes on. But holy hell does Lamarcus Joyner need to play better or get benched. Major liability last week.

Offensive line was bad but disappointed it was Tomlinson and Fant largely. I'm very optimistic they'll get better and quickly though. No reason they shouldn't. Encouraged Max Mitchell was better than expected. Hopefully this unit is performing way better once Zach returns.

I saw playmaking ability from the receivers and even RBs but the miscues (drops, fumbles, INT) are what stood out as most concerning in addition to OL.

Kicking game was a huge disappointment. Are you kidding me Zuerlein? He had a good offseason. He needs to recover fast.

But they still let a close game get away from them again, which is disappointing. I wouldn't call this an 'acceptable loss' but I'm also not calling for heads after one week. It's also not playoffs or bust this year and even if they play more competitive football in losses, it doesn't mean every single loss will be ultra close until the very end.

Imagesrdecieving likes this.
  14. ukjetsfan

ukjetsfan Well-Known Member

Offense was below my expectations. Defense was above. Special teams were below.

Overall, I saw a competitive first half but too many mistakes and a weird, comatose third quarter that buried us.

SOJAZ and bicketybam like this.
  15. JackBower

JackBower Well-Known Member

I didn't expect a blowout, and I'd consider the game a blowout as it was over halfway through the 3rd

16. Jets-N-Terps

Jets-N-Terps Well-Known Member

No. Once again the Jets are the laughing stock of the league and will be at or near the bottom of all power rankings.
    Offense was miserable.
    Special Teams were worse.
    The Defense was ok, but gave up a huge P.I. penalty and 2 big plays that cost them the game.

Tell me again how great of a job Joe Douglas has done here?

Ralebird and HomeoftheJets like this.
  17. bicketybam

We have differences when it comes to the term blowout. To me, blow up means never in the game. And they certainly were in this game for the first half and then some.

18. JackBower

Seems so. Even if we were in it until midway through the 4th or the last 2 minutes... then we let up 20 points and got 0.. that to me is a blowout. I really don't think it's asking too much to see the final score be close.

19. bicketybam

I've seen plenty of games where it was neck and neck up until the end where the opposing team finally scored a few touchdowns in a row to put it away and the score looked like a blowout but in reality it wasn't. But again, hey, we all have different definitions

20. JackBower

I'd be more flexible if we haven't sucked for 12 years for sure. But that's all I'm asking this year. The final score is not a blowout