Did the Jets give up too much for Rodgers?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by KY Jets Fan, Apr 25, 2023.

?

Did we give up too much?

1. Yes

44 vote(s)
    46.8%
  2. No

50 vote(s)
    53.2%
  1. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I'm curious...what would have been your reaction if the draft fell differently and the Jets had taken Jamyr Gibbs with Jones sitting there at #15?

KingRoach likes this.
  2. KingRoach

KingRoach Well-Known Member

I can imagine and I would’ve loved it.

Re Jones being “raw”, as mentioned in another thread, Evan Neal also from Bama was drafted last year had twice as much college experience and was considered NFL ready…. He struggled his rookie year.

Re: who the Jets would’ve taken, it’s the type of thing you have to listen for bc the FO/CS would never make a public comment about it. The Jets wanted Etienne in 2021 but he went to Jax in the 1st…. But you won’t be able to find this whispers online anymore.

Final point: sans ZW, who no one could jump us to take, the Jets have been very very tight lipped before the draft. This year, however, it was well known they “wanted Jones”… to me, that screams smoke. The Jets were on the record for liking JMS more than Tippmann…. But when the pick came in, that turned out to be smoke too.

I believe @GasedAndConfused mentioned hearing the Jets never met with with McDonald…. Looking at the site below, it looks like the Jets didn’t meet with McD, Tippmann, Wright or Gibbs….

https://walterfootball.com/prospectMeetings/byteam

Bring it all together and I’m confident Jones was never the target for the Jets.

From what I’ve heard, in no order: Gibbs, McD, and Wright…. 2 of whom were gone by 13 lining up with BS’s comment the trade back didn’t affect their pick.

BleedJetsGreen1981 likes this.
  3. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

yeah other then ZW and JJ (our love for him was pretty well known) nobody has been able to guess what we were doing. sauce wasn't on our radar, neither was wilson (burks and london were thrown around a lot though), AVT was a surprise as well and we moved up for him. mostly out of our 1st rounders it's always been the unexpected pick

Jets79 and KingRoach like this.
  4. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

True, I vented quite a bit at the time, but at this point I am past this. Yes, I liked Broderick Jones as a next tier tackle after Paris and Sko and thought JD lost him, but maybe they wouldn't even have picked him anyway - Saleh said as much. Basically Saleh said to RIch Eisen the pick swap didn't impact the board at all the way it fell (meaning Jones and Van Ness were not targets). Time will tell who is right and who is wrong, but now I hope Jones stinks and McD becomes a star. I also hope Izzy will not be much worse than Gibbs, or even better. I am rooting for the guys we actually did end up with and hope Jets evaluation was spot on.

#124 Borat, May 11, 2023
    Last edited: May 11, 2023
    papapump, NY Jets68 and NCJetsfan like this.
  5. NCJetsfan

6. KingRoach

KingRoach Well-Known Member

I heard rumors the Jets weren’t thinking about a RB until they read my “The case for Bijan” thread on this board. /s

NCJetsfan and KY Jets Fan like this.
  7. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

Well we will never really know what the plan was all along…

But for me, I am glad to see two trends with JD’s drafting…emphasis on drafting OL and pass rusher early and often.

After 5 years of Mac stupidity preceded by two years of Idzik stupidity, I’m glad to see us finally addressing foundational positions early…no more drafting fucking safeties early…no more ignoring OL until round 4 and ignoring pass rush until round 5 or 6

No one ever hits on all their picks…JD has missed his share, but for the most part, he addresses the right areas at the right parts of the draft in my opinion…

8. NYJ1970

NYJ1970 Well-Known Member

If the Jets win the SB then no matter what the cost, it was worth it.

JETFUEL1580 likes this.
  9. NCJetsfan

Unless he winds up getting seriously injured, misses the season, then retires, I think it will be worth it even if we don't get to a SB. I think that he is helping the team and CS in immeasurable ways. Ulbrich was raving a day or two ago about how he exposes weaknesses in their new defensive wrinkles, how practicing against him makes them better. His work ethic, his demand for doing things right and attention to detail is making the offense better, and the CS better. His free exchange with Hackett is helping communication and learning of the offense. His ability to process so quickly and get the ball out accurately will make the OL look a lot better and will help the WRs, TEs and RBs on their routes. His ability and high success in play action will help the offense. His aggressiveness and accuracy will help the team. The are almost certain to have a lot more leads, which will take pressure off of the D and enable our pass rushers to be able to pin back their ears, go after the opposing QB, and hopefully, help create more TOs. Further, he gives the team instant credibility and respect. I think he will also be huge in helping Zach Wilson and Streveler become better QBs, and in helping our WRs, TEs and RBs to become better, more successful receivers by helping them see what he wants and expects. Finally, I think at a minimum he will lead us deep into the playoffs, and think that if we can stay pretty much injury free, that we have a very good chance of at least getting to, if not winning the SB.

#129 NCJetsfan, Jun 3, 2023
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2023
    ColoradoContrails likes this.
  10. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Been away for a bit. Is Rodgers actually taking part in the OTA's yet? Heard he tweaked a calf..

11. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Yes

KY Jets Fan and Cman68 like this.
  12. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

@KY Jets Fan

Now that season starts, I will take the sticky out for this thread. Make sure you add this thread to your Watched Threads to be able to bump end of the season. :)

KY Jets Fan likes this.
  13. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

Will do!

Thanks Brook!

Brook! likes this.