Did the Jets give up too much for Rodgers?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by KY Jets Fan, Apr 25, 2023.

?

Did we give up too much?

1. Yes

44 vote(s)
    46.8%
  2. No

50 vote(s)
    53.2%
  1. KingRoach

KingRoach Well-Known Member

WE WERE NEVER DRAFTING A DEVELOPMENTAL TAKLE AT 15.

2. KingRoach

Part of me thinks it’s a bit, like the actual Borat. Bad take after bad take.

3. KingRoach

2. Jones had 1.5 years of college experience. He was regarded by all scouts as “raw”. We were never taking a developmental OT at 15.

Some people believe the smoke pre draft but ignore the numerous reports post draft that we were taking Gibbs so they can stay mad their pick wasn’t made. It’s a combination of sad, delusional and pathetic.

dmw likes this.
  4. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

I think you are talking out your ass.

We aren't supposed to believe the reports they wanted Jones but we are supposed to believe the reports they wanted Gibbs? what...the two reports are coming from the same people

I believe Jones would've been the selection or else the Steelers wouldn't have traded ahead of us.

Jones lacked experience but he was the starting LT from the national champions and woulda been a good selection. But Pittsburgh got him and oh well, thats how the draft goes... We don't need to pretend the Jets didn't want him just to feel better about that

Borat likes this.
  5. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

6. KingRoach

Yes, it’s called lyin season for a reason.

7. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

I know, we were definitely drafting a RB, because Dane Bugler said "If Gibbs didn't go 12, the Jets had their eye on him at 15. He was going top-20." Even according to Dane, the only guy who reported Jets interested basically said Jets eyed him, but he allowed for the possibility Gibbs could have slipped passed the Jets all the way down to 20. And yet you still believe he was a lock. Remarkable stubbornness to be proven right.

Btw, have you completely forgotten JD actually took Becton at #11, and he had a great rookie year? Also considered raw: https://ninernoise.com/2019/12/21/49ers-big-board-2020-nfl-draft-bowl-games-edition/9/

8. KingRoach

JD took a developmental OT while he was building a team but not when the team is ready for prime time…. it’s not complicated.

Look, it’s bad enough that you lack logic… but tbh your posts are really tired and boring to read.

9. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

The problem is you are not following the logic. JD took a development tackle already, and that tackle had the best season of any OT the Jets had in recent memory. We will never know whom JD would have taken, but certainly we cannot rule this out the way you did. I mean if you want to believe it is Gibbs, it's fine too. I am not the one posting with the caps on that there was no chance of that. I am saying we will never never know, but logic suggests Jones could have at least been in play. And since it is logical that he would, it's now obvious why you would be absolutely convinced otherwise.

10. KingRoach

YOU will never know who the Jets would’ve taken. You don’t know who I know.

WE WERE NEVER TAKING A DEVELOPMENTAL OT AT 15 THIS YEAR.

11. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

My mistake, JD.

12. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

I've been away so I'll weigh in on the topic. Yes we gave up to much for Rodgers. I knew he would likely cost a 1st. But dang, a 1st, a 2nd, and a costly pick swap was shocking. The first round swap alone was costly because it sacrificed our flexibility in the draft, and may have cost us one of the top tackles (I'm sure BB was more than happy to make that trade to Pitt), and since we ended up going DL it cost us Van Ness who would have been a much better pick. It has also basically guaranteed that this is a one season push before going down.

On the bright side we got Rodgers and what should be a pretty exciting season, assuming it doesn't devolve into a circus, I'm really hoping we can make a playoff run.

Nyjets4eva and Borat like this.
  13. jcass10

jcass10 Well-Known Member

They gave up what they had to give up to make them a contender. The team is too good to run Zach out there again.

The Jets leverage in this deal was contingent on the Jets waiting out the Packers. That was never going to happen because the Jets wanted him in the building for all the pre-season workouts. Packers could have waited until a week before the season started.

For me, a lot depends on how many years of Rodgers they get. If they get two or three years of Aaron Rodgers, I'm more than fine with what they gave up. A first, two thirds, and Elijah Moore for multiple years of Aaron Rodgers is fine with me.

LogeSection2RowJ and KY Jets Fan like this.
  14. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

Yes and no. I think the Jets gave up more than necessary, but they also received good value.

KY Jets Fan likes this.
  15. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Agree, nor was Will a second round pick like a few said. That’s BS and a byproduct of superficial internet after the fact research.

KingRoach likes this.
  16. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

He was, on average, projected as an early second round pick. (Unless you're going to say that other GMs privately had him higher, but there's no way to back that up, and they could have had him lower for all we know.) https://www.nflmockdraftdatabase.com/big-boards/2023/consensus-big-board-2023

#116 HomeoftheJets, May 11, 2023
    Last edited: May 11, 2023
  17. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

Seems weird considering the first few pages on the website you listed ALL have him going in the first round. Some even as early as 15 to the Packers before the Rodgers trade was finalized.

Not that there's THAT much of a difference between a late 1st and an early 2nd round prospect, but most mocks on the day of the 1st round had him going in the 20's or 31st to the Chiefs.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  18. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Jones definitely needs some refinement and work, but he isn't as "raw" as you claim. He was very good, if not stellar this past season at LT for the national champs. He played against some of the best defenses and pass rushers in college football and held his own.

While it's quite possible that the Jets weren't going to take Jones at #15, I think that it's a big stretch to say that they were "never" taking him at #15.

Numerous reports that we were taking Gibbs? I only saw one, by Dane Brugler, I think. Who were the others? I would have been shocked if we had taken Gibbs, but I sure wouldn't have hated taking him. I think that in adding Abanikanda we got a "Gibbs lite" who can do many of the same things. I think that the fact we took a similar player in Abanikanda indicates that the Jets probably were leaning to taking Gibbs, if not definitely taking him.

Can you imagine this and other Jets boards if they had taken a RB at #15? It probably would have broken the internet.

KingRoach likes this.
  19. NCJetsfan

I disagree that JD fucked up in this draft.

KY Jets Fan likes this.
  20. NCJetsfan

Sorry, we often agree, if not usually, but I have to totally disagree with this post. While it's nowhere near the worst post I've ever see on a Jets board, it's probably your worst. I don't see Jones as a top 10 player. He has a lot of potential, but he wasn't one of the 10 best players imo.

I disagree that we were "fucked" by Jacksonville last year as well. To expect JD to win every trade isn't realistic. Even if he could, other GMs would soon stop trading with the Jets. It was nice to win a few as they helped to speed up the rebuild, but all that is necessary is that we break even and get fair value overall. None of us knows the urgency with which the Jets' braintrust views certain players and positions, and how much influence Saleh and the CS have or how much influence Woody and Chris have, so to aver that we were fucked and JD fucked up is over the top imo.

westiedog1 and KingRoach like this.