Did the Jets give up too much for Rodgers?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by KY Jets Fan, Apr 25, 2023.

?

Did we give up too much?

1. Yes

44 vote(s)
    46.8%
  2. No

50 vote(s)
    53.2%
  1. bmfc1

bmfc1 Well-Known Member

I'm guessing that his boss, WJ, told him to get the trade done no matter the cost.

NCJetsfan, papapump and stinkyB like this.
  2. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

And he told him to pick 24 year old 2nd round talent Edge too? Let's not blame everything on Woody. It's JD's job and he fucked it up.

JohnnyJet and HomeoftheJets like this.
  3. Jets OG fan

Jets OG fan Well-Known Member

This might just be the worst take I've ever read. Congrats.

LAJet and KY Jets Fan like this.
  4. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

Come on - it was widely reported that the Packers wanted to move on from Rodgers and all the drama and that he wanted away - they were never going to pay him $60m for 2023 and they would also have to pay Love $20m in 2024 if they exercise his 5th year option without giving him the chance to really show what he can do as a starter - there was no way he was playing in GB next year

5. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

He is better than Favre but it doesn't change the fact that the Jets lost this staring contest and blinked first.

JohnnyJet and papapump like this.
  6. NoodleArm

NoodleArm Well-Known Member

Absolutely agree with this. If they were going to take this deal, the Jets could done so earlier and give themselves more time to build OL depth. Doing it now suggests that there was a change in plans, which resulted in someone in Florham Park blinking.

Either way, if Rodgers brings a VLT to the NY/NJ area, it'll be worth it, and all of us, including champ, can finally celebrate.

7. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

First you say Broderick Jones was a "blue-chip" prospect, and now you're saying McDonald was a 2nd round talent?

I have to ask, did you follow this draft that closely leading up to yesterday? If so, where were you getting your information from?

KingRoach likes this.
  8. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

The big issue with rodgers value was the unknown. You don't give up too much for a 1 year rental and pay them 60 mil.
    Rodgers however is playing for pennies this year (under 2 mil) and has committed to multiple seasons he'll be here in 2024 for sure and maybe even 2025. we now have a 2-3 year window to win SBs with a pretty stacked team and a HOF QB. out core is under contract and cheap too for this 2-3 year window. only major resign we need to do in that time is Q which I believe JD will get done this offseason and extend him.

9. jets4848

jets4848 Trolls

Woody also told him Zack Wilson was the next Mahomes, and not to trade down in the draft and get a haul of picks that would of set up our franchise for a long time. Jd is the best talent evaluator I ever seen as Zack Wilson seems to be booed every game. Lets just blame the owner for everything, I guess woody is the Gm of this franchise and Jd is just here to take the blame for everything bad that Woody does.

10. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Keep telling yourself this Joe.

11. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

I've followed closely from multiple sources and watched some film, particularly when it comes to tackles. Here is one example of a guy who is decent:

To be fair, I have nothing against McDonald, I was just pissed off that JD unnecessarily in my view overpaid for Rodgers by doing pick swap, which cost us Broderick Jones, a really good player at the position of need, and not a reach at 13. Once Jones was gone, we had to take a guy at the position which is stacked vs had we not swapped picks, we could have had a top guy at the position of a major major need. As I said before, in this draft to me after Jones was gone and until early second it's more or less a preference based draft, could be all over the place.

At this point I am rooting for Will and hope JD and Saleh nailed it and he will be elite pass rusher. Like I said, the biggest disappointment was losing out on a highly rated guy who can protect Rodgers (Jones) a pick before due to the swap fuck-up.

NCJetsfan, papapump and KY Jets Fan like this.
  12. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

Where is [I don't know yet] button?

It all depends on how Jets do next year - especially in the light of the offensive performance. Whatever happens, we need to ask at the end of the season. The final arbiter would be "Could we achieve this with a 2nd round rookie this year?" Or "Could we achieve this with a 1st round rookie this year?"

HomeoftheJets and KY Jets Fan like this.
  13. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

Like I said in the OP, I want everyone to give their initial reaction to the trade now so that we can track how the vote changes as we proceed through the next year or two.

Nothing wrong with giving an opinion now and then changing that opinion as more facts/data become available!

14. Trainer

Trainer Well-Known Member

Another way of looking at it.

KY Jets Fan and stinkyB like this.
  15. JackBower

JackBower Well-Known Member

I can agree with this. I really thought JD was going to hold out longer and fleece the Packers.

Who knows why he didn't, he has shown patience in the past but seemed to blink first like you said. I still don't think the trade was this awful thing like some, but I thought the trade package was a little high... But I'm not losing sleep over it.

16. AlexJETS

AlexJETS Well-Known Member

Can't win in this league without a quarterback. Do you really think Carr was going to go into Cincinnati or Kansas City and beat Mahomes and Burrow??? Pleaseeeeeee. I am so happy we got Rodgers We are true contenders for the Super Bowl .. As far as the McDonald pick talk about a closer!!!!! The guy is a terror off the edge. Did anybody see how he had Darnell Wright on skates on one on one drills at the Senior Bowl??? Some of you Jet fans are truly clueless!!!!!!!

NCJetsfan likes this.
  17. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Nania conveniently disregards a crate of cash and almost twenty years.

18. jets4848

jets4848 Trolls

Or the 1st next year or committing half your cap in 2024 to a 40 year old, or that we didn't need Will Mcdonald we woulda gotten a very good Offensive lineman at 13 though something we deseperately did need. Greenbay owes Jd a job if the Ar experiment fails.

Ralebird likes this.
  19. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

I have 3 things to say about this.

1. I haven't heard this irony mentioned: in the 2022 draft, many fans expected an edge rusher with the 4th pick since that was the biggest "need" and they chose Sauce as a surprise. In 2023, o-line was the expected 1st pick and Jets chose an EDGE RUSHER and everyone was upset.

2. We don't know if the Jets wanted Broderick Jones and on the other hand, if they had chosen Jones, maybe they wouldn't have chosen Tippman. Tippman may have been plan B. Arguably, having a top center is more valuable than having another top tackle.

3. We all want to see the Jets destroy the Patriots and run up the score!

Lets goooooooooooo!

NCJetsfan and Borat like this.
  20. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

1. I hear your point about Sauce, and agree that we should not reach for a position of need. In fact, once Jones was gone I don't think anyone was saying to pick up Harrison. It was more of a disappointment of losing a player who was both top of the board AND at the position of #1 need by far.

2. We will never know 100% whom Jets would have picked, because they are not leaking a lot of information now days. There was even a report of taking a RB, which I think is BS, but the point is, we will not know for sure. With that said, there is a consensus amongst pretty everyone, people covering the team, analysts, Jets journalists at any level, etc, that Jones was the pick, and the board didn't fall out way.

Also, common sense suggests the same: we have two starting tackles now who were injured all last year, one is pushing 40, and already had a significant decline two years ago last time he played healthy, and the other hasn't played in two years. Very few folks descent from the view that we would have picked Jones to protect Rodgers. And I think we would have picked Tippman too unless McD was there at 43, since he was BPA. Most likely Warren doesn't get picked in this scenario.

3. Absolutely, we need Rodgers to pad these stats to win his next MVP, and what better team to do this against, than NE! Did we overpay for him? Yeah, I think so. Even the pick swap sweetener cost us big. But we still have Aaron Rodgers on the team, and that is huge and is the biggest difference maker from last year. Still sounds surreal, Aaron Rodgers is a Jet!

NCJetsfan and dmw like this.