Did the Jets give up too much for Rodgers?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by KY Jets Fan, Apr 25, 2023.

?

Did we give up too much?

1. Yes

44 vote(s)
    46.8%
  2. No

50 vote(s)
    53.2%
  1. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

With how divided the board seems to be in light of the Rodgers trade becoming somewhat official, I thought it would be a good idea to consolidate these thoughts into a single thread and put it out there for all of us to see and review. I debated on how to word this thread, "did the Jets win the trade?", "is the Rodgers trade a success?", etc. but with the exception of what I ended up settling on, there didn't seem to be a good way to capture how TGG feels now AND later on down the line. I've set this poll up so that anyone can come back in and change their vote at any point in time.

What I'd like to do is come back and update this thread over the course of the next year+. I feel it could be a fun exercise for this board to see how the Yes/No %'s shift due to what happens while Rodgers is our QB. It will be very interesting to see how these numbers change if the Jets go on a deep playoff/SB run this coming year or, conversely, if Rodgers comes out and craps the bed and looks like a normal 40 year old QB

@Brook! @Petrozza @Cman65 How would you all feel about pinning this post to the top? Would make it a bit easier to track this thing.

I'll kick us off. I don't think we gave up too much for Rodgers. As it stands currently, we've given up:

2023 1st round pick swap (13-15 equivalent value to pick 100 on the JJ chart)
    2023 2nd (42)
    2023 late round pick swap (gave up 207 and got 170 in return)
    2024 2nd (we all know this will most likely be a 1st but it's a 2nd for now)

So no, IMO giving up 2 2's, the equivalent of a late 3rd rounder, and jumping up 37 spots back into the 5th round is not giving up too much for a legit chance at a SB run, maybe 2. If Connor Hughes and Boomer Esiason are to be believed, this new, reworked deal that Rodgers is going to sign prior to the trade becoming officially official will make this deal look even better. We'll have to check back in on this thread here in a few days once that info gets released to get another pulse check on TGG.

So pulse check TGG, how we feeling? Are we ready for some discount double checks? Or are you ready for your very own darkness retreat?

EDIT: Now that it's been roughly 24 hours since I posted this, I'm going to put the poll results tracker down at the bottom so we can have some data to compare down the line!

POLL RESULTS TRACKER:

04/26/2023:
    YES: 28 votes (53.8%)
    NO: 24 votes (46.2%)

05/03/2023:
    YES: 42 votes (52.5%)
    NO: 38 votes (47.5%)

05/12/2023 (Post-Schedule Release):
    YES: 43 votes (50%)
    NO: 43 votes (50%)

06/05/2023:
    YES: 44 votes (46.8%)
    NO: 50 votes (53.2%)

07/19/2023 (TC Report Day):
    YES: 44 votes (46.8%)
    NO: 50 votes (53.2%)

#1 KY Jets Fan, Apr 25, 2023
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2023
  2. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

The problem is we gave up a 2024 first rounder that's only protected against Rodgers getting hurt. If he plays poorly due to age, the coaching staff will still play him all the way through the season because they're getting fired unless we make the playoffs. So we could end up going into 2024 with no QB and no (high) first round pick. The pick should have been playoff-protected, but of course Douglas had no incentive to ask for that (what does he care about our 2024 draft if we miss the playoffs), so here we are. Hopefully it all works out, and this is unfounded worry, but it's a position we shouldn't have to be in.

JohnnyJet, Cosmo and KY Jets Fan like this.
  3. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

No.

Back in January I thought this would be similar to what the compensation would be. I'm a little annoyed that the '24 pick is tied to '23 snap % but whatever. I have a hard time believing Rodgers is only going to be here for one year as well. This isn't the same league of 10 years ago where QBs got pummeled. You get a 15 yard penalty for just breathing on the QB the wrong way. Sure up that OL with 15 + 43 and lets fucking go. There is no reason to not be in contention with the Jills for the AFC East and then we see what happens.

I heard this on the The Michael Kay Show yesterday that 65% would be about game 11 of the season. Favre got hurt in game 11 after we were 8-3 so that definitely has Woody's finger print all over it with that number.

Rodgers, with a broken thumb on his throwing hand, was still 7th in TD passes. He finished with 3700 26:12. He is still that guy. No doubt in my mind.

Wildcard weekend, 1:45 on the clock, down 3 with the ball and Aaron Rodgers. I'll take my chances every week.

4. AG3

AG3 Well-Known Member

Without knowing what the new contract looks like, no one can give a valid opinion yet.

Let's wait to hear the contract.

5. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

While I will concede that what you've laid out is certainly possible, I think it's highly unlikely.

If Rodgers plays 65% of the snaps next year, we're most likely a playoff team.

If Rodgers doesn't play 65% of snaps next year, something has gone catastrophically wrong, but then we'd only have to give up a 2nd round pick in 2024.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  6. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

I understand why you think that but that's the main reason I allowed users to change their votes in this thread. I think it's highly probable that everyone's opinion on this trade could change drastically depending on how the 2023 season starts, progresses, and ultimately finishes. That's also not even taking into consideration the chance that Rodgers returns for the 2024 campaign.

I don't want this thread to be viewed as a "gotcha" thread but more of a pulse check on this trade as we move through the next year or two.

AG3 and HomeoftheJets like this.
  7. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

If everyone including myself didnt convince themselves that the Packers were bent over a barrel then nobody would be complaining about this compensation. I’ve been saying for months that I didn’t think it was possible to get a player of his caliber without giving up a first rounder so maybe that’s why I’m not panicking like half the fan base is. Anyone looking at this situation realistically saw this price tag coming.

Every blockbuster trade is an overpay until it pays off. Sometimes it doesn’t. But for the first time in my fandom which dates back to the mid 90s, we are finally taking the home run swing.

8. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

We probably did but some of the meltdowns here are acting like we gave up three firsts. I’m not really sure what everyone expected.

My biggest concern is that Rodgers won’t really be interested. He doesn’t give me the burning desire to shove it up the Packers ass feeling and who knows how he’ll be without his insulated group of friends on the field and in the organization.

The Packers are run very differently than most organizations, very similar to the Steelers and that’s just about it.

KY Jets Fan likes this.
  9. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

Granted this could change or may not even happen, but if Rodgers is involved during all of the offseason programs would that alleviate some of your concerns?

10. BroadwayAaron

I actually feel the opposite and back at the beginning I was worried about this exact thing. Numbers still aren't out but it sounds like he made some financial concessions and gives off the vibe that he's committed for at least two years. He's going to be part of the offseason program. He was working out with players before the trade even happened. Outside of him restructuring his contract solely to fit his salary in, I expected close to nothing else. Pleasant surprise.

11. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Yes they did.

If I told you a week ago they were gonna swap 1sts, give them a 2nd this year AND a 1st next year, everyone would've said that is TOO much.

--

I'm excited to (hopefully) have a good QB too but we don't have to wax poetic about the trade itself, it was too much

Ralebird and KY Jets Fan like this.
  12. NOVAJET

NOVAJET "2020 TGG Fantasy Football Champ"

Should have posted this after his contract/interview. He's playing here multiple years and he is being paid this year on the cap as the 17th or so QB. After his opening interview we will all be going bananas, he's in excellent shape and motivated af to win a SB in NY. Just wait, it's coming.

13. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

That's the beauty of this thread, nobody's vote is locked in permanently.

I'm planning on doing periodic updates on the Yes/No %'s as we progress through the next year+.

NOVAJET likes this.
  14. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

Not really.. Some of us who had realistic expectations of what this trade would take back in January knew this was the comp. It was so blatantly obvious.

15. AG3

AG3 Well-Known Member

What if Green Bay picks up most of the $60 mil bonus and the Jets new contract is very team friendly?

We need to wait until those details come out. Without that, no opinions are valid.

AtlantaJet likes this.
  16. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

This thread is pinned to the top until the storm passes... :)

pcmodem and KY Jets Fan like this.
  17. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

[​IMG]

Brook! and Cman68 like this.
  18. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Ok we can wait and see how much GB takes on. The only real benefit we as Jets fans would get from that though is next year as free agency is essentially over for 2023 with just warm bodies left

19. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

aw shucks...

KY Jets Fan likes this.
  20. BroadwayAaron

That seems like a pretty big benefit, I dunno. When you have your cornerstones at CB, DL, QB, WR and RB plus 1st/2nd rounder picks this year, plus a 2nd next year, cap space is a pretty big benefit.

KY Jets Fan likes this.