Did Joe Douglas do a great turnaround with Jets roster?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BrowningNagle, Jul 31, 2023.

1. Gremlin

Gremlin Well-Known Member

We're four years into JD's run and lets look at the key positions;

QB - Swung and missed on Zach when he could of taken a 49ers deal, ran out Sam for another year and gone the veteran route earlier then he did.
    WR - Went through multiple picks before he got Wilson
    LT - We have a questionable Becton when we could of had Wirfs or even a number of good WRs from that draft that would of kept us from burning picks later on.

DE Disruptor - Fortunate that he got Williams from Mac's last draft
    Edge - ?????
    CB - Finally have a potential shutdown from his third draft

He's had a pick of the coach and plenty of FA action where he's got good outgoing value but added nothing of pro-bowl note and his one 'big move' that worked out was going back in for AVT.

In general terms, his record (both wins/losses and above) makes him very sackable as I see no reason why he should be trusted to have another go at picking a HC & QB if this next year or two end in tears.

Only reason I could see for keeping him is that he doesn't outright suck and in Jets world that's a rare and precious thing.

BrowningNagle and HomeoftheJets like this.
  2. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

^

don't disagree with most of your post, but I think Joe would get the chance to prove what a different coach could do with the talent he brought in.

He has totally failed for OL, and there have been areas of concern like safety and linebacker depth. Joe seems to fall in love with his own experimental picks like Ashtyn Davis and Mims, and he also has a really odd way of handling injuries - especially with Olinemen.

He has gone out and addressed the areas of concern and done a mostly good job, but the results aren't on the field and that's what matters. If there is a power struggle, it's hard to see Saleh winning, although Joe doesn't have the strongest personality either.

ouchy likes this.
  3. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

He has only drafted 1 true LB in 4 drafts, and that was in the 6th round. Now were rolling with a converted DB at LB. IMO Sherwood is a bad idea, and when he isn't using his speed to make plays he is going to be pushed around and likely injured fairly quickly. Yet to JD it was a better solution than Qwon? I foresee issues at LB by game 6.

4. Gremlin

Gremlin Well-Known Member

I just don't see him having enough cachet to justify being given another chance to pick a new HC which ultimately means another 2 years of FA and Draft picks which will inevitably involve also picking a new QB from somewhere.

In my mind the fate of Saleh and JD are tied together at this point.

5. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

He picked Saleh, so if Saleh sucks, that's on him too.

Ralebird likes this.
  6. burf

burf Well-Known Member

To me, JD has done a nice job, turning over the talent on the team.
    Draft aside, my biggest question on JD, is Saleh.
    Many reasons, but probably my biggest concern is discipline.
    He let players go wild last season, the T-shirt stuff probably his biggest error.
    The team divided, & he did nothing... more than anything, I think that's what pushed the team into its end-of-season collapse.
    The media, & most fans, in their AR fog, seem to have forgotten what happened last season, after a promising first half of the season. Everyone has chosen an imaginary meme, that Zach was the only reason for the collapse... we witnessed the same ol' problem in the HOF game - - dumb penalties.
    That's coaching/discipline.
    I can go on with other concerns about Saleh, like does he have the football smarts/instincts, to lead a championship team... but I'll leave it at that.

JD's choice of Saleh, to me, is a bigger question mark than Zach, or Mekhi, etc... I mean, I wonder where Zach would be, had Daboll had his hands on him, rather than our dearly departed former OC?

NCJetsfan and NY Jets68 like this.
  7. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

Well I wanted Daboll as well because of his proven track record developing QBs…he did it Josh Allen and in hindsight he’s doing it now with Daniel Jones…that kid improved a lot under Daboll.

that being said, I think Saleh did a great job with our D once he got some players and as we continue to draft and develop pass rushers I think the D should continue to do well.

he doesn’t have to worry about QB now with AR and Hackett as he now has experience there unlike what we had with Zach and MLF

we’ll see…there were signs last year so let’s see how that continues…

NCJetsfan likes this.
  8. NJJets

NJJets Well-Known Member

There’s no turnaround at all. We’ve been awful, including under Douglas. What we’ve done is thrown everything into Aaron Rodgers because we’ve failed miserably at the “turnaround”.

9. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

What does this even mean? We should have turned it around already, but we didn’t? and Roger is not part of a turn around even though we threw everything at him, nor is the current quality of our young roster?
    Amazing take for a season that has not started yet.

NCJetsfan and bicketybam like this.
  10. NJJets

NJJets Well-Known Member

It means that the result of Douglas’s performance thus far has caused the team to pivot completely from building within through the draft as JD had been preaching from day one to a desperation to field an elite
    Team for 2 years at the expense of the future. Don’t get me wrong, I agree we needed to do that, but we’ve done so because prior to desperately signing Rodgers we’ve been terrible and much of that lies on Douglas as well.

BacktoQueens and Jonathan_Vilma like this.
  11. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

If you take off the Jets fan glasses, his opinion is quite common elsewhere. The Jets, a losing franchise for 15 years, are desperately hoping 39-year old Rodgers turns it around.

Regardless of how it works out, it's obviously plan C, or D. Joe Douglas' plan As and Bs have failed

12. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

Joe Douglas has assembled a team that Aaron Rodgers wanted to be a part of. I can't even think of the last NFL star that wanted to come to the Jets for any other reason than the money.

JD has had some bad misses, most notably the OL and the drafting of Zach Wilson. He's also had some home runs with G. Wilson, Sauce, AVT, and Breeze. Signing D.J. Reed was an excellent move. Trading Jamal Adams for 2 first and a 3rd was amazing. Trading Darnold for a 2nd, 4th and a 6th was also pretty spiffy.

The Jets have a damn good roster. And it's young. If Rodgers can give them a few good years and JD is able to find his successor, the Jets will be in really good shape for years to come.

Brook! and Jets79 like this.
  13. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

I think it's fair to assess JD's performance from 2019-2021 at this point.
    I can point out lots of bad decisions from the strategic standpoint, bad drafting, and questionable FA moves.

However, to make it simple, can anyone tell me what positives actually came out of those those 3 years?
    If we are talking about rebuilding, I can only think of AVT that will be part of any long term plan.

3 years were wasted with probably the most miserable football, and terrible results, i've ever seen as a fan.
    That's far from a 'turnaround'.
    I just can't brush that aside, even though I do feel we starting actually building well come 2022, and that has continued into 2023.
    The real turnaround was with JD and the FO's performance beginning in 2022.

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  14. BacktoQueens

I agree with a lot of this, but however at some point you have to take your shot.
    I don't fault JD for taking a swing here, as without results, we would be right back to new GM rebuilding again anyway.

I'm a little concerned we mortgaging future cap, have no first rounder next year, and will soon be back to square 1 at QB, but if we win a Super Bowl in this Rodgers window none of that will matter.
    Worth the shot imo.

15. bicketybam

You don't think Garret Wilson, Sauce Gardner, and Breece Hall are part of the long term plan?

16. BacktoQueens

What year were they added?
    Please re-read the post, and then go ahead and not comment again.

17. bicketybam

Ah ok. Last year doesn't count. Got it

I didn't realize you were the comment police. I'm pretty sure I'm allowed to comment on anything I want. But thanks for the suggestion

18. NJJets

NJJets Well-Known Member

I am harsh on JD, I admit. By no means do I want him fired or dislike him, but I don’t think he’s been great either. He had a monster draft last year, and I think we’re all thankful for that, including him. But the Zach pick to me was borderline criminal. To take a QB like him during a Covid season, apparently no in person interviews, having only actually seen the kid in person at all at his pro day, and besides the big arm his college tape showed EVERYTHING the kid does wrong. It was easily predictable. To compound it, JD was offered a boatload from SF for the pick. It bothers me to no end that he still chose to go with Zach there instead. Other than Lawrence there were no QB’s worthy of a 1st round pick in my opinion, and I was not alone in that opinion at all.

BacktoQueens likes this.
  19. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

I don't disagree with a lot of what you're saying but the bolded has been refuted by one of the top, if not THE top, NFL insider in Adam Schefter.

We unfortunately can't post tweets anymore on here but:
    "49ers have been attempting to move into top five picks for several weeks now, per sources. They discussed trading up with Dolphins at 3, Falcons at 4, Bengals at 5 and ultimately decided to go as high as they could, per sources. There were no trade-up talks with the Jets at 2."

Link to tweet here.

bicketybam likes this.
  20. BacktoQueens

How can that be refuted when they literally gave that boatload for the number 3?
    They obviously would have given at least the same to move to the number 2, but JD wasn't interested (and should have been).

All Gas No Shake likes this.