DID I MENTION THAT I LOVE OUR 2017 DRAFT?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by FanSinceBIGShea, May 24, 2017.

1. Coleman stuck around for acouple more seasons..you might be thinking of Ryan Young..who had a promising start to his career at RT but for whatever reason fell out of favor w. the organization.By the time that expansion draft transpired they were pretty much begging the Texans to take him.

2. DarrelleRevis.Human?

DarrelleRevis.Human? Well-Known Member

Calm down, there's no need for a redundant post every other day.

3. jago

jago Active Member

don't worry i'm not predicting the same outcome that's for sure

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

I agree and I liked Maye just think we over did it with 2 safeties at the top of our draft thing. It's not like we were close defensively and these guys will send it to elite status. I wish the Jets would attack the offense this way. But it doesn't matter anyway because Bowles is still here.

5. boozer32

Bill Walsh was a genius, these guys can't walk and chew gum.

jago likes this.
  6. boozer32

That's pretty optimistic but we are still talking the Jets. Expecting two safeties to hold down the secondary is too much to ask. The roster is still unbalanced from drafting defense for 10 years. They have no outstanding talent anywhere offensively. The BPA approach works when you have a solid roster and you just want to fill a spot with a talented player. They Jets needed help at QB, OL, 2 ILB and one safety spot. Until they fix that QB position they will never win anything.

7. jago

jago Active Member

i'm agreeing with this, i was not sarcastic enough lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

boozer32 likes this.
  8. It has nothing to do with optimism in any way shape or form. Adams & Maye could easily both flake .But to say that drafting 2 safeties doesn't help a secondary is just flat out silly.Even if only one starts...it can't be any worse than the safety play from last season. If you don't think an improved top of a defense doesn't make a significant difference theres no point to having any further discussion.

Your other point completely disregards the notion of building blocks.We're back to trying to build a team on paper. But the paper only contains 4-5 names at the very most...and how many of them are or project to be dominant at their position? Also..I completely disagree w. going BPA when you have to fill a spot. Actually it's the complete opposite. You draft NEED when you have a solid roster & just need to fill a spot. When you have a devoid roster position is not a large part of the equation...b.c talent IS the need..in other words..BPA & Need actually coincide. Doesn't matter what position they play. What matters is if they project as elite for their position & if they can provide something to build around so that in 2 offseasons we can have the type of draft you are talking about.

Everybody has different ideas on how to build a roster through the draft. Nobody is right or wrong..I think it's most important to have conviction on a specific philosophy, execute it & stick to it. Rightly or wrongly..I think the Jets draft achieved that.

Where you & I are totally on the same page is about the total disregard of the offense. This needed to change about 5 years ago..and yet we're still talking about it. This past draft was defense heavy..but it seems like we say that every year. At some point scouts need to earn their money not worry about the big board & get some guys who can block,move the chains or get in the end zone.

#68 KurtTheJetsFan, May 31, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: May 31, 2017
    egelband and boozer32 like this.
  9. boozer32

Nice post and I agree our roster is devoid of talent. But constantly drafting defense and still not having an elite defense makes my head shake. They should have lights out defense as every one of our recent coaches have been defensive guys. They will need to be in shape because this year they will be on the field alot because our offense will not score. I am still a fan of Maccagnan and I believe he sees the big picture of getting the Jets there. I hope he gets the opportunity to pick his own head coach. I know he has a good eye for talent being a scout for so long but the last 2 drafts he probably listened to Bowles too much. No way will I ever believe he would have drafted Darron Lee. Now, Hackenberg, that is all Maccagnan because he drove down to Happy Valley to work him out.

KurtTheJetsFan likes this.
  10. TwoHeadedMonster

TwoHeadedMonster Well-Known Member

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2002_NFL_expansion_draft

Had to look it up. The Texans took both our starting CBs and our starting RT. I don't know that any of them fell out of favor--the Jets ran way over the cap. Back then virtually every team hit the cap right after they got a good roster put together, and had to shed basically all their vets.

11. Good find.I stand corrected.Some of those groh/Herm years sort of overlap in the memory bank lol

Coleman & Glenn were both solid Jets

FJF likes this.
  12. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

Pryor is offloaded. No more complaints there, I guess.

13. jago

jago Active Member

14. DefenseWinsChampionships

I love our 2017 draft with players from big time powerhouse programs such as Jamal Adams (LSU), Marcus Maye (Florida), ArDarius Stewart (Alabama) and Jordan Leggett (Clemson).

I already know Leonard Williams is a star but it's our 2015 & 2016 draft class in which i need to see players take big steps.

Christian Hackenberg.
    Robby Anderson (undrafted).
    Charone Peake.
    Brandon Shell.
    Darron Lee.
    Lorenzo Mauldin.
    Jordan Jenkins.
    Juston Burris.

Are the players we really need to see take their next step.