Did Darnold Progress, digress, egress? (Merged)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by The Dark Knight, Aug 25, 2018.

1. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Sam looked great yesterday watching him live. Calm on the sideline, talking to his guys. Everything you would want from your young QB. His interception was by far the worst moment of the game. Walking to the sideline, Gase was PISSED. Said something to Sam, as Sam kept walking to the bench. He handled it well though, did not overreact or let it get to him. Overall, he did a really good job.

You can't say "Yeah, Sam threw for 4 TD, but the Redskins suck!" You still have to play well and the Jets did yesterday in a convincing way. It was impressive.

Mogriffjr, mrjet80 and Noam like this.
  2. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

lol math is hard for some. it's 65.6565656565% so 66% is fair at least for rounding. No idea where the 67% came form in that tweet

dawinner127 and Noam like this.
  3. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

Been waiting for a 4 TD game from Sam. Don’t really care who it was against.

4. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

Oh I wasn't saying that about you lol just that Gase mentioned that he wanted Sam to own the offense and really take control out there.

It's tough putting this on a guy, 2nd year in and learning a 2nd offense. I like the passing concepts a bit more this year than last though.

5. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

In the article about Sam bursting into Gase's office, his stats are listed as follows:

6. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

I agree.

Sam continuing to walk to the bench shows me he knew he screwed up - he’s making less and less mistakes a game. The INT was bad but not his worst.

I think Sam will be fine especially when he gets a real OL.

The Dark Knight likes this.
  7. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

He's made great progress from his 8 INT in 3 week stretch before last week's game, but he still has room to improve.

Royal Tee and The Dark Knight like this.
  8. Royal Tee

Royal Tee Girls juss wanna have fun

As I said in preseason.
    Another system to learn
    + New Personnel
    + Heavy early schedule
    + No Oline

Thrown In Mono and Injuries and I really can't for the life of me understand how the fuck anyone would call him a bust already.

9. Longsuffering88

Longsuffering88 Well-Known Member

I believe this fully

so much so, that I have hopes for tomorrow

and just like usual, I hope they don’t break my heart with an uncompetitive mess where Gase “gives up” after adversity

we will see

10. NoodleArm

NoodleArm Well-Known Member

Today was definitely progress. Good mixture of improvisation and set play execution. It appears that the more he has his feet under him, the quicker he processes things. Darnold developing, for sure.

11. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

You don't always bring your A game to every game. Sometimes I pitcher doesn't have his stuff when he shows up to the mound, and has to battle through. I felt like that is what Sam did on Sunday. He was a little off, but he still battled through and found a way to win. His interception was terrible and unacceptable though. Similar to the one he threw against the Redskins. It's not the interception itself (which was also terrible), it is the entire situation. When you have the lead, just throw it away. Can't make momentum changing plays when you have the lead.

Overall, Sam continues to improve, but hard to fully judge him with the weak roster around him.

If you break down the 2019 Jets, it actually doesn't look too bad for Sam.

(5-5) with him. (0-3) without him. One of the losses was him with mono against the Bills too. The other 4 losses are flat out bad though with the Patriots 33-0 loss, loss in Jacksonville, and losses to previously winless Miami and Jacksonville.

12. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

Honestly the deep ball concerns me more then the picks right now. It feels to me like he’s missed on a lot of them this season, though I could be wrong.

The arm strength is there, but the accuracy is not. Or maybe he has to put so much into it that it’s effecting his accuracy. Not really sure.

I think as the OL becomes better and Sam had more time, his decision making will improve. Perhaps it will help the deep ball if he has more time to set his feet properly before the release.