Deshaun Watson Mega Thread (Volume 3)

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by Brook!, Feb 5, 2021.

?

What would you give up for Watson?

1. #2 pick in 2021 Draft Only

7.9%
  2. #2 pick plus another 1st Rounder

24.6%
  3. #2 pick plus 2 other 1st Rounders

34.1%
  4. #2 pick plus 3 other 1st Rounders

5.6%
  5. To Hell with Watson. Stay put

27.8%
  1. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

LOL Whatever.

barfolomew likes this.
  2. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

I’m actually a bit wary of NE OL free agents, no? Once they leave NE and don’t get the benefit of holding without being flagged, they don’t seem to play as well. How’d the last few do once they left NE? Nate Solder pretty much sucked for the Giants...I think there was another huge OT who left for the Raiders (Brown?).... not sure how he did.

same for any ex-Steelers....that is a damn well run organization so when they let a player leave it’s definitely for a reason ...and they are hardly if ever worth what they are asking for, which is why the Steelers let them go. I’d be very careful about Dupree, who was kind of a disappointment for a couple years for them, as well as JuJu, who didn’t match past production once Antonio Brown wasn’t opposite him.

I’m not saying these guys like Thuney, Dupree, JuJu aren’t upgrades for us, because our roster is poor enough that I think they are....I’m just saying they are most likely not going to be worth the money it will take to sign them...so gotta be smart about it.

3. NCJetsfan

If I'm the Texans, I'd take that trade in a NY minute. Burns is a good young Edge. We know how great McCaffrey is. Robby Anderson and Teddy Bridgewater are solid players, and that alone would make the Texans better this year. It's possible that they could also get Lance at #8. I love Watson, but if I was the Panthers' GM, I wouldn't do it. The Panthers are giving up way too much talent. If they lose Samuel and Anderson, they'd basically have DJ Moore left at WR. Mike Davis is a decent RB, but he's no McCaffrey. They could lose Taylor Moton in FA. They also don't have a lot of talent on D. Losing those two 1st round picks would hurt them more than the Jets losing 3-1st round picks.

#583 NCJetsfan, Feb 24, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2021
    barfolomew likes this.
  4. NCJetsfan

I respectfully disagree. That trade would go along way towards making Houston a better team both this year and the future, and they still could potentially get a FQB at #8. I think that trade would decimate the Panthers.

#584 NCJetsfan, Feb 24, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2021
    barfolomew likes this.
  5. Lon Chaney

Lon Chaney Well-Known Member

If I'm Houston, I'm not looking to be "good" this year. They were 4-12 last year and looking to trade away their Franchise QB, probably lose their best WR in Fuller, and have already cut their locker room leader Watt (who can probably still be a 8-10 sack guy if healthy).

Why would I want these guys:

Robbie Anderson 1 yr/$12 mill
    Teddy Bridgewater 1 yr/$22 mil (and another 5 mil if cut after 2021)

Brian Burns makes sense. Young improving player on a rookie contract.

McCaffery makes sense if I'm in win now mode. His contract isn't terrible for this year and next (13 mil per). But why spend that much on a RB if you know you are rebuilding? Especially one who just came off two injuries?

Houston should be looking for draft picks and players one or two years into their rookie contracts. Not guys like Anderson and Bridgewater.

chad2coles likes this.
  6. NCJetsfan

I know you used quotation marks for good, but remember they were 4-12 last year. Some teams aren't content like the Jets to be bad and have losing records year after year. In reality, however, I don't think they would be "good" this year, but I think they would perhaps be more competitive. They have to have a QB if they trade Watson. They have little cap space, so doubt they could sign Dalton or Taylor, and definitely not Prescott. I don't think they's want Cam Newton.

Why wouldn't they want Anderson and Bridgewater? Anderson is only 27, fast, only missed 2 games in his career (in 2018) and a pretty good WR. They need WRs, especially if they lose Fuller. They really couldn't count on him anyway. He was always injured. They have Brandin Cooks and Randall Cobb if they lose Fuller, so imo they could use Anderson. They will need a QB this season so they aren't forced to start a rookie, and Teddy would be a great QB to mentor a young QB they draft. That could also be a move to appease the fanbase by bringing in a solid veteran QB to give leadership and stability to a rebuilding team.

I agree about McCaffery, but again McNair may be looking to appease the fanbase. He loses a star in Watson, and brings in a star in McCaffery. McCaffery, Bridgewater and Anderson all already have chemistry together, so it would make things go smoother for them this season.

I can see your points and understand why the Texans wouldn't want that deal, but I think it would be a far worse deal for the Panthers. They are in a rebuild, and they'd be stripping away talent from around Watson and have a harder time building around him without all the extra picks the Jets have and no 1sts for 2 years.

7. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

8. Lon Chaney

Lon Chaney Well-Known Member

You are not wrong, I just wouldn't take this deal. I guess my argument is looking at it from this angle: Robby and Teddy would replace draft compensation in this deal which I would covet more if I were Houston's front office. In the deal that was originally tweeted, the Texans are only getting 2 draft picks (and only one this year). I would rather have 4-5 picks and sign some jags as place holder (even at QB if necessary) for this year.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  9. NCJetsfan

I agree. I wouldn't either, but as dumb as McNair is, it wouldn't surprise me if he does.

10. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Wow. If he indeed met with the new staff and told them straight to their faces that he's not playing for them, that's a huge development.

GO GET HIM.

11. apjbfc

apjbfc Well-Known Member

It's the next step.

He's met one of cully or caserio. Unfortunately for them, it's the people above them that he has an issue with.

Sent from my M2007J20CG using Tapatalk

12. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

That guy wants to trade away FOUR first rounders, Darnold, and a 5th?

That would end up on an all-time bad trades list at some point.

#592 BacktoQueens, Feb 25, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2021
    ColoradoContrails likes this.
  13. Snatch Catch

Snatch Catch Well-Known Member

The interesting piece here to me is that once again we've gotten a major piece of Watson news waaaay after it actually happened. That tells me that the Texans are in denial, like a guy trying to pretend his wife isn't leaving him by refusing to acknowledge what she's been saying straight to his face.

Remember when we found out that Watson had officially requested a trade, but the under reported aspect was that it actually happened WEEKS before Schefter et al Tweeted it out? Watson's camp was quiet until they couldn't hold their tongues anymore, but then said EFF THIS and went to the press.

Well it just happened again - Watson met Culley last Friday, the Texans tried to pretend it didn't happen, and this time it only took one week for his camp to get annoyed at Houston's lack of movement and leak it to the media.

#593 Snatch Catch, Feb 25, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2021
    NCJetsfan likes this.
  14. chad2coles

chad2coles Well-Known Member

it looks like Darnold and a 5th are traded separately for a 2nd from the bears.

15. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

My good lord. Please bring us a QB.

Tom Brady and Gronk just won a championship with the Bucs.

Either you have a QB or not.

Stop the madness. Either trade for Watson, Wilson or draft the best prospect in your opnion.

Dear Joe

Without a QB, you are nothing. Be bold, be decisive and make a move.

Jets007, dmw, Lon Chaney and 3 others like this.
  16. nyjetsgreen

nyjetsgreen Active Member

You actually have to give the guy a offensive line and actual weapons to succeed. Darnold was drafted and instead of drafting Orlando Brown Mac drafted another DT in shepherd gave the guy nothing let Anderson walk Berrios was his #1 WR what a joke think any of those QBs will succeed with what Darnold had last 3 years. Watson went 4-12 with a better team that was depleted offensive weapons, Mahomes look like a deer in headlights without his 2 best OL. Brady has looked bad in NE without a OL and 1 of his main complaints was no weapons. Think Jets should trade back and build an actual team then you can talk QBs this team needs more then a QB to win you have a 23 year old QB who has a high ceiling think they need to fix the OL and get him actual weapons before you can close the book on Darnold.

17. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

Glad someone else said it. Any QB Douglas may get will suffer the same as Darnold. I know Douglas sees it and he immediately addressed it last year.

#597 boozer32, Feb 26, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2021
    onefanjet and westiedog1 like this.
  18. Snatch Catch

Snatch Catch Well-Known Member

The meeting with Culley was not in person, apparently.

More Watson "news":

NCJetsfan likes this.
  19. chad2coles

chad2coles Well-Known Member

Haha, if Joe D left a voicemail, I hope it's, "The #2 pick is the only thing that will save your job. click"

20. NCJetsfan

For the umpteenth million time, the Jets don't have to trade back to build around their QB. They could take a QB at #2, a WR or OL at #23, an OL or WR at #34, a RB or TE at #66, a TE or RB at #87 or at #98. They could even mix in a defensive player or two in there due to the large amount of cap space they have in FA. They can sign Joe Thuney and a WR, they can sign a RT, they can sign a DE and CB, and then be free to use all their picks through the first 4 rounds on offense except maybe one of the 3rd round picks on a LB. They have 9 draft picks, 6 of which are in the top 100 players, and have the cap space to significantly improve the team. It won't even be remotely close to what Sam dealt with unless JD is a totally incompetent hack on the level of Mac/Idzik.

apjbfc, NoodleArm, Ralebird and 4 others like this.