Deshaun Watson Mega Thread (Volume 3)

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by Brook!, Feb 5, 2021.

?

What would you give up for Watson?

1. #2 pick in 2021 Draft Only

7.9%
  2. #2 pick plus another 1st Rounder

24.6%
  3. #2 pick plus 2 other 1st Rounders

34.1%
  4. #2 pick plus 3 other 1st Rounders

5.6%
  5. To Hell with Watson. Stay put

27.8%
  1. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

If we trade for Watson, it's gonna take at least 2 drafts, probably 3 to build a team (offense, defense, teams) to give Watson a fighting chance.

So, maybe JD should roll as much cap into year 3 as possible, THEN load up on top FAs. Why would we pay top FA for 2 years while we're rebuilding mainly through the draft?

What could be better than entering year 3 with Watson, 2 full drafts already on the roster, and $100M in cap to load up for a ring-run? I get that FA will go cheaper this year, but that's a one year savings and does nothing to help years 2,3,4, etc. Don't blow our cap wad until we're ready to make a run.

2. chad2coles

chad2coles Well-Known Member

I don't think that's true. I'm not a salary cap savant, but I think the Jets are in position to trade for Watson AND make some big signings without losing all cap flexibility.

If you look at the moves I suggested (and I don't expect these moves to happen), cutting Anderson, Lewis, GVR, and Griffin, trading for Watson, trading Darnold for a pick, and reworking Crowder's creates $17.9M in cap space that the Jets don't currently have. So if you give Thuney the same deal Brandon Brooke got, and give Maye the same deal that Budda Baker got, you're only eating into $4M of the $65M of cap space the Jets have for this year. Just right there, you've replaced bottom of the league QB production with top of the league QB production, and our worst offensive lineman with one of the best at their position, and lock up Maye long term. If you don't do anything else on offense, they are instantly MUCH better on that side of the ball. That still leaves over $60M for this year as well as 5 of the top 100 draft picks to build a roster around Watson. I think not taking advantage of the free agent WR talent available would be a mistake, but there's no question the Jets

If you're worried about the increase on Watson's cap hit, the Jets have $15M in dead cap space this year, mostly from Trumaine Johnson, Leveon Bell, and Quincy Enunwa that will cover a majority of that increase, and the cap increase for next season will cover the rest.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  3. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I agree on the free agent receiver market. It's time to finally open up the checkbooks for one. Even if it's Samuel. I'd really like them to pursue Godwin because I don't think his price is going to be wild given the amount of drops he had in the post season and the up and down injury year he had. He helps a quarterback a ton because he can play out of any spot and he's such a crisp route runner.

I'm not "worried" about cap space. I'm simply pointing out that it's not the correct way to build the team and it's a short term fix.

You're talking about signing two corners who will be 30-31 entering 2022, Thuney and Robinson who will be approaching the same age. That's a win-now formula for a two maybe three year window. Maye as well but safeties can play a bit deeper into their careers at times.

4. chad2coles

Signing Thuney, Robinson, Verrett, Williams, and Dupree are win now moves. But they would effectively be on 2 and 3 year deals while guys like Denzel Mims, Bryce Hall, Cameron Clark, Ashtyn Davis, and guys drafted this year and next show you if they can be starters on a contender. This is how consistent contenders operate. They have guys playing now at a high level while they develop their draft picks to replace them. And eventually you have to overhaul the roster, like you've seen with the Saints, Packers, and Steelers, but if you have a franchise QB, you can get back to contending within a year or 2 as long as you don't miss over and over again with your drafts.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  5. Jonathan_Vilma

No it's not. What are you talking about? How many big time free agents have the Saints, Packers and Steelers signed over the past two decades? It was shocking that the Packers signed the two Smith's a couple years ago and one of them has been essentially a failure as Preston Smith had one decent year.

The Steelers never bring in free agents like that. The Saints sign lower tier supplement free agents like Ted Ginn Jr. They signed Emmanuel Sanders and it didn't really work out for them.

abyzmul likes this.
  6. chad2coles

I didn't mean that they sign big free agents, but that they have a pipeline of talent. For the Jets, because they have so much cap space, they can sign a few top players while they develop their draft picks.

But which signings are you against? You said you agree the Jets should go after one of the top WRs available in free agency. Do you think the Jets shouldn't sign Thuney? Are Verrett and Williams coming with Saleh from San Fran on 2 year deals a bad move? Dupree on 1 deal?

7. Jonathan_Vilma

They create a pipeline of talent through the draft which is what I'm advocating for.

I do not think they should sign Thuney or stopgap corners leaving their positional prime. I don't want Robinson as by the time the team is ready to compete he'll be entering his decline. Godwin and Samuel make sense to me.

Pass rushers generally don't find a ton of success when they leave the Steelers so no I wouldn't sign Dupree off a major injury. Especially considering the amount of benefit he had received across from TJ Watt.

I'd target Godwin or Samuel, a lower tier guard with experience in the zone system (Austin Blythe for example). I'd sign a couple lower tier edge rushers and create competition at the position and have depth for rotation (Morgan Fox, Taco Charlton, etc.). I'd sign Sherman to a one year deal and live to fight another day at the position and see what we have this year.

It'd be a top draft priority for next year.

Br4d and LAJet like this.
  8. chad2coles

I'd be happy with the Jets signing Robinson or Godwin, either one would do great with Watson, and I definitely see the benefit of Godwin just about to turn 25.

I disagree with going for another bargain on the o-line. Thuney has been one of the best guards in the league, doesn't miss games, is versatile, and has the athleticism for LaFleur's system. Putting him in between Becton and McGovern solidifies the left side of the line for Watson. He just turned 28, signing him to a 4 year deal locks him in for the rest of his prime. This would be the best o-line Watson has ever had protecting him.

I don't think signing the SF cornerbacks to small 2 year deals hurts the Jets going forward, or Bud Dupree on a 1 year deal. The Jets would still draft the same number of players regardless of these picks, focusing on edge, CB, and o-line.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  9. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I don't want anything to do with Taco Charlton, he's a bum.

10. Jonathan_Vilma

I thought you lived in Texas? My understanding is you folks are generally quite fond of Taco's.

11. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

The NFL is a team sport. Watson threw for almost 5,000 yards and 33 TD last year and his team went (4-12).

I'm for trading for him, but it has to be a fair deal for the Jets to still build around him. They have too many holes.

12. jonnyd

jonnyd 2007 TGG.com Funniest Poster Award Winner

youre arguing with a fucking retard bro.....just ignore him. He doesnt even watch games....he reads things on the internet and then turns them into 4 paragraph posts over and over and over again. I havent read one of his posts in months and I suggest you do the same

13. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

it was extraordinary circumstances for Houston even in a year that was extraordinary for everyone.

I dont believe Watson will ever QB a team that finishes 4-12 again, provided he's healthy the whole year. The previous 2 whole seasons where we was healthy all year saw him win 22 games combined

14. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

You are right about that, just as the Jets will likely not go (2-14) again any time soon. The problem is we want to build a Super Bowl winner, not just a pretty good team. I think if the Jets traded an insane amount of picks and players they could still be a solid team in 2021 and beyond with Watson, but I would also like to see Douglas build a consistent winner. He can do that via the draft and solid free agent signings.

15. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Breakfast tacos are amazing. And evil.

16. barfolomew

barfolomew Well-Known Member

In case you guys hadn't seen this.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  17. ConcordeChops

ConcordeChops 2018 International Poster Award Winner

Why not throw in the fucking stadium as well?

18. J-Raw24

J-Raw24 Well-Known Member

I don't think he would even want to go there at that point. Who would be left on the team?

barfolomew likes this.
  19. Lon Chaney

Lon Chaney Well-Known Member

That's a terrible deal for the Texans.

20. Bellys Lies

Bellys Lies Well-Known Member

I think the Bengals overpay Thuney