Deshaun Watson Mega Thread (Volume 3)

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by Brook!, Feb 5, 2021.

?

What would you give up for Watson?

1. #2 pick in 2021 Draft Only

7.9%
  2. #2 pick plus another 1st Rounder

24.6%
  3. #2 pick plus 2 other 1st Rounders

34.1%
  4. #2 pick plus 3 other 1st Rounders

5.6%
  5. To Hell with Watson. Stay put

27.8%
  1. Snatch Catch

Snatch Catch Well-Known Member

I'm still all-in. To me Watson is the rarified type of player you get and then figure the rest out later. I totally understand the downside, and the fear of being able to put a team around him. He's just too young and too good at the most important position in sports, and the Jets are set up too well, to have those negatives outweigh the reward for me personally. Despite the potential pitfalls, I'll sleep well no matter the outcome if the Jets take this specific swing.

Ralebird, NCJetsfan, NOVAJET and 2 others like this.
  2. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

No clue what this account is

NCJetsfan likes this.
  3. chad2coles

chad2coles Well-Known Member

The Jets could have $93m in cap space after trading for Watson by cutting Anderson, Lewis, Van Roten, and Griffin, reworking Crowder’s deal, and trading Darnold.

They could then make the following moves and still be under the cap:
    [1] G Joe Thuney $57M/4 yrs, (Cap Hit: '21 - $14.5M, '22 - $17.5M (Brandon Brooke))
    [2] WR Allen Robinson $84/4 yrs, (Cap Hit: '21 - $15.7M, '22 - $19.2M (Keenan Allen))
    [3] S Marcus Maye $60M/4yrs (Cap Hit: '21 - $7.8M, '22 - $14.8M (Budda Baker))
    [4] DE Bud Dupree $14M/1yr, $14M Cap Hit (PFF suggested $10M, Clayton floated $6M)
    [5] CB Jason Verrett $14M/2yrs, $7M Cap Hit (PFF suggested $5M)
    [6] CB K'waun Williams $10M/2yrs, $5M Cap Hit (PFF suggested $4M)
    [7] LB Hewitt $5M/2 yrs, $2.5M Cap Hit
    [8] G Elfien $2M/1yr
    [9] LB Luvu $1M/1yr

that would leave the Jets w $24m to sign draft picks and fill out the roster. They would only have $181m committed to next year’s cap.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  4. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

There's never been a QB of Watson's age and caliber available for trade, so there's no such thing as "the right way."

matt robinson 17 likes this.
  5. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Only. That's the point. Obviously the cap will go up. But even up to the projected $190 and you have no cap flexibility and likely have to cut a player or two to get under with draft picks. That's not factoring in depth and you have a team of mercenaries.

That's essentially a two year gear up for a title run before you tear it all down.

In my initial post about it I wasn't advocating against Watson. I was merely saying that we likely won't be signing as many free agents as insinuated.

If we do deal for him, we should not try to fill the roster up as quickly as you just did either. It's a recipe for a disaster especially if the team falls short and the whole thing will be ripped down after a couple years and Watson is right back where he started with a depleted roster with a bunch of guys that have high cap numbers.

I also have to believe that he's going to want another extension after a couple years. Wait til Allen, Lamar and Baker get paid. At that point, if they continue upward trajectory - Murray and Herbert to follow.

There isn't a true hometown discount in terms of dollar value in the NFL, but there is when you factor in that you can build your own guys cap hits around your teams cap outlook.

6. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I thought better of the ending, and deleted it pretty soon after posting it. Did it in a moment of pique because you had misrepresented what I said and had been so dismissive.

That's $60 million out of $110 million, NOT $80 million. Also, $91 million plus $70 million is only $161 million. Even at this year's low cap of around $180 million that still leaves around $19 million in cap space. If the cap is closer to $190 million, there's another $10 million of cap space. That's before subtracting Lewis' and Van Roten's cap hits, and Fant could easily be gone in 2022, as he was only ever a short-term stop gap imo, so there's another $9 million. If it was absolutely needed, there's McGovern's $9 million or they could re-do some contracts to lower the cap hits.

Hewitt played very well last year, but he's not really needed in a 4-3. He's too good to sit on the bench, and like Mosley, not really fast enough ideally for MLB in a 4-3 alignment. Even if they keep Hewitt (which I'd have no problem with), he wouldn't cost that much.

You obviously either are tired, distracted, or have been drinking, because you're having reading comprehension issues that you normally don't have. Either that or you are intentionally misstating what I said to make it fit with your agenda. For the second time, I didn't say that we should cut the C and swing tackle, only that we could, and if JD drafts Humphrey, McGovern wouldn't be the starting C. We wouldn't have a team of mercenaries, either, or wouldn't be cornering the team into anything in the draft. That's ridiculous hyperbole and your misreading.

7. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Douglas needs to trade whatever he needs to land Watson.

We can then sit back and watch Douglas build a POWER HOUSE with our 2nd round pick this draft, and our 2nd round pick next.

Joe could land the 4th best interior pass rusher in this draft to replace Q, and then the 4th best WR or DB next draft to round out the team.

Just those two additions will transform our team and set us up for a SB run in year three of the Watson experiment! I'm giddy with excitement!

PJ4Ever likes this.
  8. chad2coles

next year’s cap is expected to increase to $200m. Mosely, Fant, and McGovern could be cut after this season to free up over $25M. So they could have around $45m in cap space if they made all these signings.

The point is that the Jets can trade for Watson, bring in young talent through the draft, and sign top level free agents.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  9. matt robinson 17

matt robinson 17 Well-Known Member

Game changer, with him 9-7 and a wild card spot is not impossible if everything (injuries) work out in our favor

BrowningNagle and ConcordeChops like this.
  10. chad2coles

but if the Jets don’t get him, they should be able to compete for a division title in the next 5-8 years.

PJ4Ever and matt robinson 17 like this.
  11. NCJetsfan

Dude, quit seeing only what you want to see. Work on your reading comprehension. You are wrong! There would be plenty of cap space to sign the rookies and have money left over for emergencies. You need to do some research as well if you don't trus chad2coles or me.

PJ4Ever likes this.
  12. Jonathan_Vilma

There's no definitive answer since you're only speculating the contracts based on a website. Stop acting like there's only one answer.

The teams you are both proposing we build through free agency are 2-3 year window teams before a tear down again. It's mercenaries and it's what @Br4d has been banging the table about for weeks and really a decade with this franchise.

It's the exact opposite culture you want to build and we'll be heading right back to being the 2017 Jets.

Br4d and REVISion like this.
  13. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Go for it. Make a splash. Everyone wants to see Deshaun Watson with a team like the NY Jets. Losing sucks, lets go

matt robinson 17 likes this.
  14. NCJetsfan

No, they aren't only 2-3 window teams. That's just your supposition. You can't even respond accurately to what we actually say, but instead resort to making shit up to and twisting our words to try to discredit our posts. Sad. Do some research.

15. Jonathan_Vilma

Your research is using a salary calculator on a website and trying to crunch numbers like your some sort of salary cap savant.

Chad2Coles did the numbers for 2022. We're barely under and will be stuck with the proposed team in his plan with no maneuverability.

If you sign a bunch of free agents (even if you want to split hairs about who is top level or not) and bring in Watson, you're building a quick winner that might not have a great long term outlook.

Stop taking everything so personally when people disagree with you. Sheesh. The hissy fits are unnecessary.

Br4d and abyzmul like this.
  16. BrowningNagle

if you trade for Watson you gotta sign some FAs. It would be a dammed waste of his talents to have him tossing it to Braxton Berrios. Building a "quick winner" sounds great to me anyway, since were used to perpetual losing

17. Jonathan_Vilma

You have to sign some free agents anyways due to required cap spending. I'm not sure where we're at with that but I'd imagine we're close to needing to spend.

But I'd imagine we sign less if we get Watson in anticipation of his big 2022 cap hit.

18. BrowningNagle

Probably, yeah, but we'd have a good QB so its worth it IMO. Also the NFL has shown that good players want to pair up with other good players.

If you have a Deshaun Watson who has earned the respect of the league maybe you dont have to pay top dollar every single time in FA to land someone like we have had to do for the last decade plus.

19. Jonathan_Vilma

Eh. This is few and far between at least historically in the league. Bad teams sign high quality free agents to top dollar every year. The Buccaneers are a bit of an anomaly in that regard.

But to your point - I was listening to CBS SN yesterday and I forget who it was that Jim Rome had on (maybe Jason La Canfora?). But he did mention that with the low salary cap number this year, we may once again see a lot of one year deals and guys try to pile onto contenders for a year to build "superteams." And then jump back into FA next year when it moves back up.

So we'll see.

Br4d likes this.
  20. BrowningNagle

That makes sense. If I was an Allen Robinson that's what I'd do. Take a long term deal with the Bears or the Bengals in a "poor" year and he could be outta the league in a couple years or at least damage the perception of him as a player for a discounted rate.

Instead sign a 1 year deal with a great QB, say the Packers & Aaron Rodgers. Make 7 or 8 Mill in that one season. Catch 100 balls in a dynamic offense and then re-enter the FA frenzy as a pro bowler when the wealth is abundant again.

NCJetsfan likes this.