Denzel Mims?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by AJW, Sep 12, 2021.

1. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

You are going to pin that missed pass on Moore? The fucking defender was all over him and it could have been called PI.

Who are you taking out to replace with Mims? Corey Davis? Mims can't play the slot so who?

I think Mims is being brought along slowly because he's....mentally slow. He was not a route runner in college. We have 3 better WR's that should start over him. He's being groomed for next year. This team isn't going anywhere this year (unless you think like DWC). Does it really matter that we lost to Carolina?

You have gone back and forth on the coaching staff. First you didn't want a defensive HC. Then you loved him. Now he's an idiot for not playing Mims. It's hard to follow.

I get it. You've been suffering with this team for 70 years. But this isn't their year. You are going to have to hang in there a few more before we are a super bowl contender. Try not to give yourself a stroke before it happens :D

FJF likes this.
  2. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

My only argument to your points is that the coaching staff needs to get him on the field more. If the reports are true about his difficulty understanding the playbook, then I don't want him on the field. He easily becomes a problem for us and the entire offense.

This team is finally in a place where we do not need him on the field given how much talent we have at the position. Mims should not see the field regularly until he is up to speed. If that takes 2 weeks or 8 weeks, so be it. I don't want him out there running wrong routes and hurting Wilson's progress.

I hope Mims turns this around. I was a huge fan of his when we drafted him. I just don't want him to hinder this offense right now

NYGANGGREEN, PJ4Ever and NCJetsfan like this.
  3. bicketybam

Do you want to see a starting unit of Davis, Crowder and Mims?

4. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

First, thanks for your civil and fair post.

It should have been DPI. Still the fact is, it was a catchable ball and it went right through Moore's hands. Most good WRs make that catch. IMO the only person to blame for that is Moore. I'm not gonna start hating him or gonna want to give uip on him or trade him. He missed the pass. I was just using Moore to show why Mims should see the field too. Moore is seeing the field because of his talent and potential, even though he's a rookie. IMO Mims should be seeing the field more because of his talent, and the fact that he produces when given opportunities. I'm not saying that he should start regardless. I'm not saying that he shouldn't have to know or have a grasp of the offense.

I think Mims should certainly see more snaps than Smith. I know that Mims wasn't a route runner in college, and I do think it's possible that he's mentally slow. Still, he's very talented and could help this team. As other posters have pointed out (without criticism, I might add), if nothing else, he could be used as a deep threat, to help open things up underneath. What's the point of wasting a year or half a year of his career? IMO that's what it seems like the Jets are doing. Hey, I could be mistaken. Other teams develop packages of plays for young players. The Bears have done that for Fields and the Niners with Lance. Why can't the Jets do that with Mims? That's not an unfair question.

You may be right about the bold. If so, that's fine. I'm not saying that Mims should start, especially if he doesn't know the offense that well, but he should be seeing the field more imo. I agree that the team isn't going anywhere this yeart, and wins are not that important this year, but still, what's the point in losing a game you can win? They are also trying to establish a winning culture. There aren't a lot of games on their schedule that the Jets perhaps "should" win. Carolina was one of those. Fans (including me) are tired of the losing.

I didn't want a defensive HC at first because they normally are too conservative and only want to focus on defense. Saleh proved that wasn't the case with him, and I grew to love him. I still do, but that doesn't mean that I'm going to agree with everything he does or like something that I think is arbitrary, a mistake, and detrimental to the team's future. Contrary to the belief of some posters here, I have an open mind. My opinion on players and coaches can change with decisions, circumstances, etc. I'm not like some posters whose minds are slammed shut. They only see things one way, won't change their minds no matter what happens, and that's it. If that makes it hard to follow, I'm sorry, but I don't post for others to follow. This is an outlet for me to discuss, to vent, to share my opinions. If people don't like my posts, my changing my mind, my criticizing things I don't like, and/or getting frustrated at times, then they should put me on ignore. I don't post here to win a popularity contest. I've made some good friends here, and there are those who can't stand me and I can't stand, and I have no problem with that.

Most of my frustration isn't with Saleh and what I think is an arbitrary rule (which may just be a cover story since he doesn't want to embarrass Mims by saying he's not playing because he's mentally slow and doesn't know the offense), it's with posters here who either can't see or refuse to see the logic in my saying that Mims should see the field more, and who are so arrogant and dismissive. It's enough to piss someone off. Others have said that they think he should see the field more as well, and have caught no flak for it.

5. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I don't want him to hinder the offense, and am certain no one else does either, but based on this past Sunday, with the exception of Davis, I don't see how he could have been any worse than any of the other WRs, TEs, RBs or OL. They all made their share of mistakes and blown assignments. Are they all slow mentally too?

6. bicketybam

I agree that he should see more snaps than either Smith. He can't play Berrios's position so there that. But I can't sign on to him playing more that Moore. Moore has a greater skill set.

7. Falco21

I would love to see Davis, Crowder, Moore, and Mims.

Would I anticipate we will see is Davis, Crowder, Moore, and Cole

8. Falco21

Not in the least. You keep pointing to this last game like Mims had an amazing game. He ran down the field on a blown assignment and caught one pass. I mean, seriously, what are we talking about here?

I've said it multiple times on here, Davis had a great game. Berrios had a very good game with a big 4th down catch. Moore had big time rookie jitters and had a rough start. But they all know the damn play book!

9. Falco21

A much greater skillset.

If they start limiting Moores playtime for Mims I will he royally fuckin pissed. But I seriously do not see them doing that

10. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Moore should've caught that bomb if we're talking about the same play early in the game. It was a deep over or post if I remember correctly or he might've flared open on the scramble.

Even still, I doubt Mims gets that open or catches that ball so I generally agree with all your points.

11. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

Never seen so much fire about a 2nd rd pick that's played like 9 games :confused:

Falco21 and bicketybam like this.
  12. bicketybam

Welcome to TGG.com.

13. Falco21

Looks like Mims really is behind. This isn't bullshit anymore, if you thought it was

14. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Slow down a bit . Yes that dropped pass was on Moore. The ball was perfectly placed. The defender was behind Moore and the ball just went through his hands. Not a give me by any means but the kind of catch we should expect from him and the kind of catch I have seen him do with regularity. The kind of catch that keeps defenses honest.
    As for Mims, I see no reason why we should not have many plays with Davis, Moore and Mims to absolutely keep the secondary deep and open up the field. The more rotting pieces the better. But our bigger issue is to get the damned running game moving. It was non existing Sunday. That will define tile open up the passing lanes for Zach.

PJ4Ever and NCJetsfan like this.
  15. bicketybam

Looked like PI to me. But yes, he has the talent to make that catch.

I just can't get all heated over Mims not getting enough reps. We have a ton of WR talent. I think Mims get his big shot next year.

LAJet likes this.
  16. truthbtold

truthbtold Well-Known Member

I like everything I see from Mims. All the guy does is make plays with the limited opportunities he’s been given.
    I’d love to see him on the field more, but the goal really should be long term … Wilson / Moore / Mims for several successful years in the future.

As a historical comparison …
    I loved Amani Toomer coming out of Michigan when the Giants took him in the 2nd round.
    In his rookie season, he caught ONE pass. His first three seasons he caught less than 50 passes total.
    Like Mims, he was slowed down due to injury … ACL in Toomer’s case.
    Then BAM … starting in year 4, he rattled off 5 consecutive 1,000 yard receiving seasons.
    Mims can play. I hope the Jets are smart enough to give it some time to happen. As long as he’s getting time and making plays by this time next year, it’s all good.

PJ4Ever and King Koopa like this.
  17. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

BTW, to your point, did you notice how little PI was called but the refs, our guys were wrapped a lot.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  18. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

Look at Aiyuk in SF, it's a very similar situation. Physically gifted receiver that is getting his reps cut because he doesn't know the playbook like he should.

I wouldn't be ready to give up on Mims just yet. Davis, Crowder, and Cole have all proven they can perform at the NFL level and Moore is more versatile than Mims is at the moment. If Mims were to get on the field it would be in Corey Davis' position and I'd much rather have Davis on the field.

Falco21 and LAJet like this.
  19. cval

cval Well-Known Member

We are hating/Loving on Mims, Becton, Moore and Saleh but Lafleur seems to be getting a pass. Lafleur did not call a very good game and some of the play designs were, well strange. Lafleur needs to do better he looked like a rookie play caller. This is another area where losing Knapp hurts this team.

20. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Looking ahead to NE:

With Keelan Cole coming back, Moore moves to the slot with Crowder. Berrios moves to the 'not dressed' with Smith.

With Mims knowing the X, and some of the Z, he stays as BU to C.Davis and K.Cole (just like the first game) plus Mims is an excellent blocker in the run game, so that alone may get him more reps.

Davis
    Cole
    Crowder
    Moore
    Mims
    (Berrios and Smith not playing)

I think we only go with 5 WR to open a roster spot for help on the oline. Another TE, 6th lineman, etc. But if we go with 6, who would you take?

NCJetsfan likes this.