Denzel Mims?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by AJW, Sep 12, 2021.

1. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

Sure sounds like excuses to me. I’m pro Mims as anyone but it was a drop, plain and simple. It happens. Let’s hope it doesn’t happen too frequently again or at all.

PJ4Ever, westiedog1, abyzmul and 4 others like this.
  2. Savatage

Savatage Well-Known Member

Yup, I want to see him out there, too, but, that shit can't happen.

legler82 likes this.
  3. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Mims looked serviceable. But I'm still confused when people keep saying "we're so deep at receiver." We don't have a 1,000 yard receiver on the roster, guys...

4. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

Part of that is QB play though. If we had Chase would we he be having the same season he's having now?

stinkyB likes this.
  5. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

In comparison to other roster spots, I would agree with those that say that.

6. Jonathan_Vilma

I mean, we have more NFL receivers than we've been accustomed to so I guess that's why.

legler82 likes this.
  7. cmcm750203

cmcm750203 Well-Known Member

It’s funny, I keep having this same convo with someone on another board who keeps insisting Zach has plenty of weapons. I’ve said over and over that the WR corps was overrated prior to the season and that we’ve been so bad in the past at skill positions that even average looks like superstar to us.

JackBower likes this.
  8. Jonathan_Vilma

It sure beats the hell out of the years leading with Jeremy Kerley as the top target and Jermaine Kearse and friends. But I wouldn't say this is a position group we should be content with in the offseason.

For what it's worth though, I don't think the receivers have been Wilson's issue. He's missed a lot of open short passes on his own but we need to get another outside target ideally in the draft.

PJ4Ever and cmcm750203 like this.
  9. Trainer

Trainer Well-Known Member

While the WR room is stronger than we've seen in recent years, we still don't have a true #1. My hope is that the draft falls perfectly for us and we get our edge rusher and future #1 receiver with our 2 first-round picks. But of course, we are the Jets, so...

ouchy likes this.
  10. Jonathan_Vilma

Drake London is my guy. Mike Evans type but he has YAC ability.

Not sure where he falls because it's really only him and Treylon Burks from Arkansas (deep threat) as the top receivers (both OSU guys as well) and then a huge drop off after this year.

abyzmul likes this.
  11. Trainer

Trainer Well-Known Member

London has great hands and is very physical after the catch. Pulls down contested balls and runs over defenders. He doesn't seem to have break-away speed, even on the deep routes, he doesn't run by anyone. He makes his bones by out-muscling DBs for the ball. Is he a #1 in the NFL? I don't know, but he'll be an asset to any QB.

12. Jonathan_Vilma

He actually reminds me the most of Michael Pittman who is another USC receiver with similar size and YAC ability but the comparison seems too obvious to make. But they play virtually the same and Pittman is feasting with moderate 4.52 speed.

13. King Koopa

King Koopa Well-Known Member

Crowder, Davis, Mims, Moore, Cole, and Berrios are all 2-4 type guys and can make plays in NFL games. We’re definitely deep there but lack the true number 1. The main issue in the play making department is a stud TE. A stud number 1 WR would be nice but a top tier TE and Oline improvement are more dire

14. Jonathan_Vilma

None of them have recorded a thousand yard year and it doesn't look like any of them are going to get close this year in a 17 game season.

They're all fine and better than what we usually have, but it's not a position group we should be happy with.

Yes, the black hole at tightend also needs to be fixed.

15. PJ4Ever

PJ4Ever Well-Known Member

You hoped going into the season that Mims or Moore would develop into that 1,000 yard guy.

16. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

I would not be shocked if neither Mims nor Crowder are on the roster by the COB.

17. King Koopa

King Koopa Well-Known Member

I mean Mims and Moore have the potential to be that and Crowder/ Davis would start for some teams. No one’s really happy about it but they’re a solid group overall and you can definitely win with this group

I like London but he had a nasty injury the other day…hopefully he recovers. I have no issue taking the top WR with one of our first round picks coming up

PJ4Ever likes this.
  18. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

19. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

I thought torture was outlawed by the Geneva Convention years ago...

20. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

With the Jets top two X receivers likely out, Cole due to COVID, and Davis with his groin (didn’t practice Wednesday), Mims returned to the field to practice today. He likely will get a lot of burn on Sunday potentially as the starting X receiver.

Moore, Crowder, Mims, Berrios, Jeff Smith (guessing Keelan Doss gets the call from the PS as a 6th WR via covid roster rules).

RochesterJet and Royal Tee like this.