Denzel Mims?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by AJW, Sep 12, 2021.

1. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

2. PJ4Ever

PJ4Ever Well-Known Member

That’s why the Mims thing is so infuriating. We all knew Davis can’t be the 1. I think Mims has at least theoretical upside to be a 1 if he raises his route running game. Or maybe Moore can get to the level. But now Mims doesn’t even play. It’s wild.

3. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I know what you mean and in theory I agree, but the CS isn't operating on theory, they are are and should be operating on what they believe to be fact which is his performance in practice and his ability to understand the offense in the classroom.

Whether or not they are correct is another story.

4. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

He might not be able too, just like Mims apparently can’t learn the route tree.

I wish I was kidding.

We saw the same thing with Gase and got similar results.

I still believe the biggest issue is the OL, but the coach has to find a way to maximize the talent he has to work with.

BrowningNagle likes this.
  5. Jets-N-Terps

Jets-N-Terps Well-Known Member

that stat is bullshit. these fuckers can't catch.
    there are also contested catches that you see other teams receivers and tight ends make every game that our guys drop.
    Crowder won't drop balls like these pieces of deck furniture are.
    Hell, mims would not wither.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

blackssmagic and NCJetsfan like this.
  6. Jets-N-Terps

Jets-N-Terps Well-Known Member

Those were decent catches, but all of those should have been caught. He got both hands on them and they came in softly.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

7. King Koopa

King Koopa Well-Known Member

If the offense was doing well or even decent I don’t think there would be much of an uproar regarding Mims (although some would still disagree).

The problem is when you’re producing nothing on offense, you hold no credibility with the fans/ media when making weird or questionable decisions at best.

I don’t think it’s normal to see a 2nd year highly touted player that actually progressed as a rookie not get a chance to contribute the next season. I honestly can’t remember a similar situation, barring legal or major character issues.

Jets79 and NCJetsfan like this.
  8. NCJetsfan

I respectfully disagree. A couple should have been caught, but a couple on the sideline were difficult catches and a lot of WRs would have dropped, or missed making those catches.

9. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

No disagreement here in anything you posted, I would have given him a shot by now and I've been one of his biggest critics. Nothing else is working and you have nothing to lose.

King Koopa and Red Menace like this.
  10. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

11. NCJetsfan

Sadly, that wouldn't surprise me at this point.

Red Menace likes this.
  12. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

I know how guys feel about Mims situation right now, and I’m all for giving him a chance to play with a simpler set of plays for him.

However, Jets new offensive scheme is 10 times more complicated for receivers. Under Gase the scheme was strait forward for Mims, WR had one route to run based on the play called, that’s how simple it was.

The new scheme has each WR having 3 options on each play called and figuring out what defense is doing. For a young guy who never had to develop a route tree in college it can be overwhelming.

JD having to draft for two different schemes has set this team behind in player development. I’m no fan of Lafleur but they have to be given a chance to grow as an offense with such a complicated scheme.

The defense is playing well, even though they are young, the offense needs to show signs of improvement as season moves on if we are to buy into new CS.

#672 Red Menace, Sep 30, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2021
  13. NCJetsfan

Yes, I know how complicated this scheme is. I've commented on that before, and I'm realizing more and more that it was a big mistake on Saleh's part to bring the Shanahan system here (and perhaps on JD's part to hire Saleh knowing that he would want to bring the Shanahan system here). Since it can take 2-3 years for a team to really learn that system, it means that they (JD and Saleh) have set the team up to struggle for 2-3 years learning the system, with lots of blown assignments, wrong routes run, etc. It also means that there will be some talented players who the Jets already have won't have the mental ability or perhaps right physical skill set to succeed in this system, especially if LaFleur is going to be rigid and not adapt the scheme to fit the talents of the players here, which means that those players will have to be traded or released and replaced, which in turn means it will be longer and harder to find all the right pieces for this scheme. We've seen this movie a number of times before, both with the damn 3-4 D alignment trying to find an OLB and with the offense, and it's one of the chief reasons why this team has struggled for most of its history...i.e., it's constantly changing CSs and schemes, and having to turn over the roster, so there is no consistency and no stability. It probably also could mean that Zach's talents and career could be ruined and wasted before the offense gets all the right personnel, learns the scheme, and Saleh and LaFleur learn what in the hell they're doing. It's insane. I know they are trying to build for long-term success, and not to win now, but this fanbase is fed up with all the losing and inept play. IMO an offensive scheme should have been brought in that wouldn't take so long to learn and that most players could fit or that could be easily adapted to the players one has. It has set the team up to struggle and fail for 2-3 years. It could be 2025 before the Jets become a playoff team, if then, and if Zach gets seriously injured or ruined a la David Carr and all the pounding he's taking, it could be 2035 before they find another QB. Other teams have turned things around quickly. With our poor talent level, we all knew it would perhaps take a little longer to turn things around, but intentionally choosing a system that makes it more difficult, a higher and harder hill to climb, was just mind-numbingly stupid.

I'm rapidly approaching the point that I hope that Saleh and Douglas fail miserably this year and are fired following this season. I'm tired of all the losing, inept play, and horrible decisions and jobs by our CSs and GMs. I'm fed up with that and with all the negativity here. It's a real downer. I've about lost all hope, optimism and enthusiasm for this team and its new leadership group even with talent like Zach, Moore, Q. Williams, and Carl Lawson (to name a few). They (Saleh, LaFleur, and even JD) are starting to seem so damn arrogant, short-sighted, and stupid, and are repeating the same damn mistakes as previous CSs and GMs.

I fully understand how other posters are so pessimistic and cynical about this team, and how some are coming up with crazy takes on things. This freaking team has driven us all insane.

14. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Nobody is getting fired after this season, regardless of what you hope for. What you should be hoping for is a constant realization by the staff that they need to dumb down their system to a point where it makes sense to run it with the players they have today. Don't blame it on Shanahan, it's not his system although it may be derived from that - Shanahan's system worked for Shanahan's players, a concept that seems lost on so many, apparently including everyone who has ever been within five miles of Florham Park.

Once again, it's not pessimism and cynicism you're seeing, as I've been saying here for way too long, it's a recognition of reality.

abyzmul and Red Menace like this.
  15. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Something tells me LaFlour might have gotten some religion this week. I am of the opinion that with Mims on the field not only do we have a real deep threat, but will arguably open up more windows for Davis who is struggling right know. Mims will demand a CB to shadow him or give up big yards. Of course, Wilson will need more than 1.7 second in the pocket.

PJ4Ever and King Koopa like this.
  16. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

he's good at catch in traffic but not a single YAC or single step of separation in that video. with that said I don't understand why not have him in even for red zone only on fade route.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  17. PJ4Ever

PJ4Ever Well-Known Member

He got a few good YAC plays last year and that play in preseason. But yes contested catches is his elite skill. Any player with an elite skill on the Jets should be playing

NCJetsfan likes this.
  18. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

he's had afew good moments for sure. I want him to get his chance. i think he does have talent and can produce. I just don't buy the fact the coaching staff is sitting him for no reason.

PJ4Ever likes this.
  19. Sack exchange

Sack exchange Well-Known Member

I will play devils advocate here, would it cross anyone’s mind that mims just isn’t that good and coaching staff believes that And that’s why he is at bottom of WR depth chart And healthy scratch. I am not saying I believe it, cause I noticed some upside with him and wish they would just give him chance before moving on from him. People actually still believe Perine and Zuniga are good. So just saying. We as jet fans hold out every hope on draft picks. I remember there was still hope for ghoston, he was later released and out of NFL very quickly after that…. How many years we held on to that guy? And knew probably in his 1st camp it was bad pick. That has happened with many jet prospects. Lee is another. Another 2nd round receiver comes to mind, Stephen Hill. Sometimes we just need to let go. There haven’t been many we moved on from, that went on to have great careers on other teams! Not talking trades or not resigning, as that was decision. Just they were released and didn’t catch on elsewhere. It was just the draft pick was a bust….There is some talent, but for one reason or another they don’t turn out to be good in the NFL.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#679 Sack exchange, Sep 30, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2021
  20. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Lol that's great.