Denzel Ain't Happy...

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Acad23, Aug 25, 2022.

1. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Define makes us better?

REVISion likes this.
  2. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

But the box is going to be taped.

ColoradoContrails and JackBower like this.
  3. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

The last draft showed that teams are hungry for WRs on rookie contracts, so he's got that going for him.

Nyjets4eva, REVISion and Borat like this.
  4. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

My two cents. I don't care about last years wows. Non withstanding all the criticism, this year Mims came to camp in great shape, has had a very good camp by all accounts, and a decent preseason. He has done enough to get a slot with the 53. I'm not saying he is in the same league as the top 4, but he certainly did enough for a shot at the 5th slot. All this without even sniffing playing with the starters on offense. So I doubt JD will release him ahead of other WRs like Smith but if a decent offer comes his way he will honor his request.
    We need starting depth. Have we forgotten already how quickly we went from healthy WRs to nothing last year. IMO He has a role in this team, may be not to his liking, but he does and he can contribute. I think with a vet like Flacco he could do some damage in a back up and red zone role. Too bad he never got a chance with the starters during pre season to prove it.

Ralebird, SOJAZ, Jets79 and 4 others like this.
  5. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

I can see Mims getting reps with the starters against the Giants to try and boost is trade value.

Jets79, tomdeb, Nyjets4eva and 3 others like this.
  6. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

Now that he's put this out there, it'd be great for him to get plenty of snaps Sunday to see if he can put his money where his mouth is

7. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Agree ouchy, I wonder if a trade for a back up LB or OL depth could be an option. I think Mims could thrive on a different Offense, more like GB and the like.

Nyjets4eva and ouchy like this.
  8. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Because he may a good 5th WR this year. Training camp was better than a year ago. And if we have some injuries, it would be good to have improved Mims to play rather than Montgomery or Black. And who knows, if the improvement he made shows up in play, he may even move up depth chart or take over Davis next year. The point is that he can be used and has some value to the team, so unless we get some decent value back, this is not a waste of a roster spot.

9. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

10. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

For some reason I find this hysterical. JD fixing to steal Rhule's lunch money again.

K'OB, Nyjets4eva, themorey and 2 others like this.
  11. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

Rhule seems like a guy who'd want as many players from his last stop as possible even if they're not good currently. Prime target. I could see him advocating Fitterer to get him.

But Fitterer might be wary after his last Jets trade

ouchy likes this.
  12. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

It's hard to tell, really, but I think at least a 4th rounder. Mims showed flashes in year 1, where we thought we might have a #1 receiver of the future. He had a terrible camp and absolutely played like shit in year two, but had a solid camp now, is still is young with impressive physical skills. He could be a bust or could be better than Corey Davis. It's hard to tell with him until he actually plays.

Without seeing him play this year after a good camp, I would not accept a 5th or below. These are low % picks, and Mims to me is a bit better than that now from the success probability perspective. If someone offers 4th, perhaps it's worth it. But I would rather have Mims at the end of the bench rather than have a late round pick (5-7), most of whom bust too.

13. NYJ1970

NYJ1970 Well-Known Member

Objectively speaking, Mims screwed himself over. Last Training camp was a disaster in too many ways. That said, it isn't Mims fault COVID happened and therefore he didn't get a decent rookie Training camp when he definitely needed one. It's not Mims fault he got food poisoning. It's not Mims fault he got COVID.

However, it is Mims fault that he had a disastrous regular season. He had every opportunity to do right by the coaches and catch up with them.

So honestly I think playing the blame game is a dead end. There's more than enough blame on both sides of this issue.

I still think the fair thing to do here is give Mims a chance with the starters all things considered.....

ColoradoContrails and Jets79 like this.
  14. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

15. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

Ah yes, because first overall pick Johnson (who had 844 yards and 8 TDs his first season, in a run-happy league) = Mims (13th receiver taken in his draft).

The degree to which people refuse to believe Mims might just be bad is absolutely baffling to me.

FJF and apjbfc like this.
  16. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

Simultaneously losing your top 3 WRs due to injury, like what happened last year, is an extremely rare occurrence. You don't run a team based on something that might happen in 1% of all seasons. Mims didn't exactly light it up even when he did play, either.

Even if that extremely rare event happened again, how good your 6th WR is will have effectively ZERO impact on how many games you win or lose during that time.

FJF and Noam like this.
  17. JackBower

JackBower Well-Known Member

This is probably your worst take of all time. You aren't fully comparing Mims to Keyshawn, but you kind of are and that's insane.

FJF and REVISion like this.
  18. JETFUEL1580

JETFUEL1580 Well-Known Member

Certainly you can get some value for a 20 something year old 6-3 receiver who's only downfall has been being injury prone. As most mentioned perhaps a 5th rounder. How is he so far down the WR picking order? shame I had so much hope for him since he was drafted.

19. JETFUEL1580

JETFUEL1580 Well-Known Member

Yeah I agree. Keyshawn was drafted into a bad situation but at least showed glimpses. Mims has shown virtually nothing and is always hurt.

20. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

Went to the Panthers message board and a lot of them are saying they'd trade Terrance Marshall for Mims straight up. Marshall had injury problems his rookie year but he was a talented receiver in last years draft. (Both guys went pick 59) Plus he is only going into year 2 which means he has room to grow and on a rookie deal for longer. I'd be okay with it.

K'OB likes this.