Deflate-gate

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by 74, Jan 19, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Endlessly Counting

Endlessly Counting Well-Known Member

Poor kid..he probably thinks he's a genius

2. Cellar-door

Cellar-door Active Member

ESPN news just had on a physics prof. from UI who said that if Bellichicks story about how they prep is correct then he agrees that the temperature and rain were enough to drop the pressure.

3. PulseJet

PulseJet Well-Known Member

Nope the Colts balls were between 12.5 and 13.5 PSI. Even that Patriot/Kraft fluffer Peter King confirms this and his conclusion is a human tampered with the balls:
    http://mmqb.si.com/2015/01/23/deflategate-patriots-super-bowl-xlix/

The condition of the footballs on Sunday is coming into clarity.
    This is significant, because it takes weather-as-a-factor out of the possible reasons why New England’s footballs could have lost air while the balls on Indianapolis’ sidelines would have stayed fully inflated. I am told reliably that:
    • The 12 footballs used in the first half for New England, and the 12 footballs used by the Colts, all left the officials’ locker room before the game at the prescribed pressure level of between 12.5 pounds per square inch and 13.5 psi.
    • All 24 footballs were checked by pressure gauge at halftime. I am told either 11 or 12 of New England’s footballs (ESPN’s Chris Mortensen reported it was 11, and I hear it could have been all 12) had at least two pounds less pressure in them. All 12 Indianapolis footballs were at the prescribed level.
    • All 24 footballs were checked by pressure gauge after the game. All 24 checked at the correct pressure—which is one of the last pieces of the puzzle the league needed to determine with certainty that something fishy happened with the Patriots footballs, because the Colts’ balls stayed correctly inflated for the nearly four hours. There had been reports quoting atmospheric experts that cold weather could deflate footballs. But if the Patriots’ balls were all low, and the Colts’ balls all legit, that quashes that theory.
    The conclusion: There is little doubt the New England footballs were tampered with by a human.

74 likes this.
  4. Endlessly Counting

Put aside the sheer logic about the Colts for a second...Here's the thing... if a football loses 2psi of pressure due to a 20 degree drop in temperature, wouldn't that be considered a malfunction or defect. Are we supposed to believe that NFL balls routinely deflate 2psi when its 50 degrees? Isn't 50 degrees a common temperature where a lot of games are played? How could that be possible? Wouldn't the manufacturer be aware of that defect. Wouldn't it be common knowledge in the league? Wouldn't there be some publication of that by the manufacuturer? By this theory, shouldn't balls used in games played in colder weather be unplayably deflated?

5. ConcordeChops

ConcordeChops 2018 International Poster Award Winner

Patriots balls dropped to below prescribed league levels from normal pressure due to weather. Colts balls dropped from above normal league levels to normal due to weather.

Therefore, Andrew Luck needs to be banned for a year and Colts should lose three draft picks for over-inflating footballs.

6. Testaverde

Testaverde Active Member

How do they prep? I must have missed that part.

Rain and temp can cause a drop in pressure, but did he say by how much in that time frame? It seems unreasonable to me that it is enough to drop 2PSI if the reports are correct.

Right. Even if what Belichick said today is true, it still doesn't add up.

I would certainly think that this would be a known issue, if it were true.

#1866 Testaverde, Jan 24, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2015
  7. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

The nfl is trying to convience people of this over the weekend so when Monday comes they think sports radio/media is gonna stop talking about it and start talking about the Superbowl which isn't gonna happen until Thursday or Friday,the media frenzy at the Superbowl is gonna be epic

8. Cellar-door

I think they said they do a lot of extra brushing and surface prep right up until the time they give the balls over for inspection and he implied that they often send them in under and tell the refs to get them to 12.5 exactly if they initially come in under. Some reporters speculated that they do this with an automatic machine with fast spin that would increase the heat. He did say that in their testing they found that immediately post-prep the pressure is about 1 PSI higher than it was pre-prep.
    So I would guess what the UI professor was saying is that if you prep it that way, initial tests would show it at 12.5 but it would be losing pressure even before it hit the field, so combined with rain and temperature would make a 2 lb drop possible.

9. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

You are more perceptive than every other Pats fan in America.

_

10. Endlessly Counting

So how is that not cheating?

11. langdon1975

langdon1975 Member

It's not done for competitive advantage. How about that for starters.
    And I guess they only found out about the drop now when they were investigating the matter. If the ball is the correct measurement when the ref checks it, that's all you can do. With the current rules the Pats didn't do anything wrong, if the prep work is found to be the reason behind the drop.

12. PulseJet

PulseJet Well-Known Member

But whats happening is what was crystal clear on Monday is now being obfuscated by this smokescreen put up by the Patriots and their fans, and likely supported by Goddell because he wants this all to go away during Super Bowl week. I'm OK with that, as long as Brady and Belichick dont get away with it. If I'm the commisioner, I'm telling them "You can obfuscate all you want this week. We will stall this investigation until after the Super Bowl. Have a great game, but win or lose you have two choices. Suspension, fines and losses of draft picks, or you both retire from football February 2nd. " At least the latter wont hurt the team.

Oh, and Fah Q Belichick.

13. Endlessly Counting

Says who?

14. Cellar-door

Because all the rule says is that the ref must check it and it must be at 12.5? The ref could check it closer to game time, see it has lost pressure and inflate it further. Teams are prohibited from altering them after the ref checks, but can do anything they want to it before.
    If the ref is unhappy with it during the game he can inflate it further (like they did at the half of this game) or declare that it has become too soft and remove it from the game.

15. CJLang

CJLang Well-Known Member

Because they didn't have any idea how the ball reacted to prep because they never thought anything about it. It was only after they were accused of something that they decided they should reenact their ball prep to see if it had some affect.

16. CJLang

CJLang Well-Known Member

http://www.csnne.com/new-england-patriots/curran-time-nfl-stop-deflategate-madness

FOXBORO – Your move, Roger.
    You – and the suited minions – are the ones who hatched the idea of running a sting operation during the AFC Championship game.
    You’re the ones that weighed and OK’d a dozen footballs for use by the Patriots then confiscated them at halftime. You’re the ones that – reportedly – found that 11 of the 12 were well under the limit of 12.5 pounds per square inch (PSI) inflation, some by as many as two PSI.
    The Patriots principals sweated through an uncomfortable press conference apiece on Thursday and, if you were hoping to see Bill Belichick twist in the wind and Tom Brady appear far less smooth than usual, you got your wish.
    Now it’s time to slap the evidence down on the table and show everybody what you have. Explain what the genesis of the investigation was, what kicked it off?
    Did somebody drop a dime that the Patriots were putting underinflated footballs in play?
    You don’t have to say who – just be transparent.
    Did you allow the first half of a Conference Championship game to be played with balls you suspected weren’t regulation in the hopes of catching the Pats red-handed?
    If so, didn’t that potentially compromise the integrity of that pretty important game?
    How many balls came in under 12.5 PSI? What was the PSI of each ball when they were brought in at halftime?
    If it wouldn’t be too much trouble, maybe even demonstrate the difference in 12.5 PSI and 10.5 PSI. Because I have a game ball that was pumped to 10.5 PSI and that thing is damn firm. And the difference between the 10.5 and 12.5 is virtually imperceptible.
    What is normal PSI loss for a football on a 45-50 degree evening? I’m sure you’ve got the science for that.
    How big an advantage did the Patriots gain?

Obviously, you’ve got everyone’s attention. Deflategate led the nightly news broadcasts on all three major networks and I’ve seen enough stories asking what are helicopter parents supposed to tell the children. A question that simply reaffirms my belief that it’s the adults that need the handholding in this world more than the kids.
    What did Tom Brady say when you talked to him? Or have you not bothered to cross that Rubicon yet, preferring to see if this situation could trump the President's State of the Union address and the Pro Bowl Draft during the week off (which it pretty much did)?
    Did the Patriots stonewall you? Is that why you haven’t spoken to Brady? Did Belichick say he wasn’t going to let this week of Super Bowl preparation get mucked up the way the eve of the Super Bowl 42 against the Giants got mucked up with Spygate inquiries?
    Or are you just foot-dragging?
    The floor is yours.
    The two future Hall of Famers – who will now have a portion of their Hall of Fame debate devoted to this alleged scandal – said their piece, such as it was.
    They don’t know what the hell happened.
    The owner who scurried to your defense when the shrapnel was falling after the Ray Rice controversy has a brand that’s taking on water and a reputation that’s getting stained.
    Explain to everyone what you allege, if there’s anything else we should know, what the punishment is – if any – and let’s get on with it.
    You’re in charge here. That’s what you like. Act like it. End it.
    As it currently stands, all attention, scrutiny and blame is on the Patriots. Tell us if it should be there. Tell us how guilty they are. Or tell us it wasn’t what you thought and the networks and news channels can go back to covering the economy, foreign relations and the spread of worldwide terrorism.
    The nation is adequately aroused about the damage the Patriots have wrought. So tell us. What did they do?

17. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

So when Belli said on Thursday he had no mother fucking idea what happened with the footballs pre game but now he's totally aware of the EXACT process it takes to get the balls exactly the way Vagina face likes them, we're supposed to believe there were no shenanigans going on here?

Lolololololollll!

_

74, horsehead and NY Jets68 like this.
  18. Endlessly Counting

Maybe, but I do not buy that, because if the Pats are the only team prepping the balls in a way which looses pressure, that says something to me. How would they know where to direct their investigation? Again, if ball de-pressurization is something that can accidentally happen, why is it only the Patriots who ave been accused?

19. Testaverde

Testaverde Active Member

That would mean the footballs would have to be 1PSI under [11.5] before any prep was done to them. Do you really think that they would start to prep these footballs for a good feel when they were not inflated to within league rules?

20. langdon1975

langdon1975 Member

Where's the advantage? Can you prove it? You have one game sample size where the QB performs better with a regular ball. Good luck proving your advantage theory. Oh and "I hate Brady and the Pats" doesn't cut it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.