Deflate-gate

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by 74, Jan 19, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. deerow84

deerow84 Well-Known Member

At this point the best case scenario is that they are found cheating and get slammed for it hard. The worst case scenario is they weren't, there is a reasonable explanation and the distraction factor hopefully bothers them enough that they lose the Super Bowl.

2. SteveGrogan

SteveGrogan Well-Known Member

I know why you hate the Patriots... But that's pathetic.

3. Geno007

Geno007 Well-Known Member

Did anybody ask BB why the Colts balls where fine?

4. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

Is this not true?

If he fills the balls to 12.5 psi, the lowest legal limit, and the temperature drops them to 11 psi, isn't that an advantage?

Correct me if I'm wrong. Am I supposed to believe this happened this time but never a time before hand?

5. Falco21

No one.

6. SteveGrogan

No, you're totally correct, air pressure does change often. And it has varied greatly in the past.

7. Geno007

So why didn't the Colts balls also? If somebody can answer that I will believe also.

8. SteveGrogan

Anyone considered that this is all about a leaked report and the refs are the ones who were found to not be checking these footballs? And NFL is in damage control mode... and the Patriots are pissed off about being forced to help the league cover up their own ineptitude during the run-up to the super bowl?

How is that NOT a possibility for anyone is what I can't understand. Or maybe I do.

9. SteveGrogan

I don't think there are enough reports about where the colts footballs were or weren't. For all you know they inflated them to 14PSI like Aaron Rodgers says he likes to... I don't have an explanation - I'm trying to read the tea leaves as you are... but some seem to only pay attention to anything involving an eventual gutting of the Patriots... especially the media.

I am loving it right now.

10. Falco21

The argument is, based on BB science lesson, his results showed the ball dropped by 1.5 psi.

So let's say Indy filled their balls to the highest limit, the drop in temperature would still leave them within the legal limit.

11. Unhappyjetsfan

Unhappyjetsfan Well-Known Member

I said it four days ago, and I'll say it again ... the NFL is going to drag this out past the Super Bowl, then in a couple months they'll announce (1) the balls were illegally deflated, (2) they couldn't determine who specifically did it, (3) they are fining the Patriots and Belichick, (4) and the Pats are being docked a draft pick.

If they actually wanted to find out what happened (and punish those responsible as quickly as possible), they don't wait a week to interview Brady; that's just common sense.

74, RuJFan and FlaJet like this.
  12. felker

felker Active Member

The thing is the NFL has not presented any information as to what temperature the balls were when they were measured. Basic physics tells me that gas pressure follows certain laws, and if you don't measure temperature, pressure and humidity at the same time you have no idea why the pressure is what it is.

Here's a post from REDDIT that goes into this in more detail:

Science teacher here. Given the conditions of the game, a ball which meets specifications in the locker room could easily lose enough pressure to be considered under-inflated. Some math:
    • Guy-Lussac's Law describes the relationship between the pressure of a confined ideal gas and its temperature. For the sake of argument, we will assume that the football is a rigid enough container (unless a ball is massively deflated, it's volume won't change). The relationship is (P1/T1) = (P2/T2), where P is the pressure and T is the temperature in Kelvins.

• The balls are inflated to between 12.5 and 13.5 psi at a temperature of 70 degrees Farenheit (294.1 K). Let's assume an average ball has a gauge pressure of 13 psi. This makes the absolute pressure of the ball 27.7 psi (gauge + atmosphere). Since these are initial values, we will call them P1 and T1.

• The game time temperature was 49 degrees F (278 K). We are attempting to solve for the new pressure at this temperature, P2. We plug everything into the equation and get (27.7/294.1) = (P2/278). At the game time temperature, the balls would have an absolute pressure of 26.2 psi and a gauge pressure of 11.5, below league specifications.
    *Furthermore, given that it was raining all day, the air in the stadium was saturated with water vapor. At 70 degrees, water has a vapor pressure of 0.38 psi. The total pressure of the ball is equal to the pressure of the air inside the ball and the vaporized water in the ball. At 49 degrees, the vapor pressure of water is 0.13 psi. Up to 0.25 additional psi can be lost if the balls were inflated by either the team or the refs prior to the game. Granted, it's unlikely that anyone would inflate balls from 0, but it easily could cost another couple hundredths of a psi in pressure.
    • For a ball that barely meets specifications (12.5 psi gauge), it's pressure would drop to 11.1 psi during the game... enough to be considered massively underinflated.

13. Falco21

You say this like we are purposely ignoring facts.

What facts are we ignoring?

We have been given very few facts and those facts say 11 of the 12 balls were under inflated. Indy's balls were tested at halftime and were in the legal limit. New England's balls were replaced at half time because they were 2 psi below the limit. Both teams were tested and labeled ok 2 and a half hours before the game.

Those are the facts. Those facts are what we are all going by, including the media. Facts that make New England cheaters until proven otherwise.

So, let's hear your facts? What facts do you have to prove otherwise?

14. Unhappyjetsfan

Unhappyjetsfan Well-Known Member

Well, the problem is you don't understand their definition of "facts".

Anything posted on Patsfans.com = FACT

The laws of physics = PSUEDO-JUNK SCIENCE TO BE DEBATED FOR 80 PAGES

15. FlaJet

FlaJet Well-Known Member

A few more for your pleasure

Rich Cimini ‏@RichCimini 2h2 hours ago
    Stunned by Belichick transparency, considering NFL investigation is ongoing. #DeflateGate

Lisa Kerney ‏@LisaKerneyESPN 2h2 hours ago
    So the #Patriots footballs are the ONLY ones not immune to cold weather?? Hmmm...the hardship.... #DeflateGate

So why weren't the Colts' footballs affected? #DeflateGate

Herd w/Colin Cowherd ‏@TheHerd 2h2 hours ago
    Patriots using Algebra and atmosphere to confuse us...#HERD #DeflateGate

Jeff Gluck ‏@jeff_gluck 2h2 hours ago
    So the prime suspect in #DeflateGate is...Mother Nature?

J ‏@Evildoer_Esq 2h2 hours ago
    @jeff_gluck Yep. Apparently the Colts were playing in a completely different atmosphere.

Stunned by Belichick transparency, considering NFL investigation is ongoing. #DeflateGate

Adam Kaufman ‏@AdamMKaufman 2h2 hours ago
    Most logical scenario is someone you've never heard of is about to take the fall...and then be paid off like a college recruit. #DeflateGate

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

74 and Walt White like this.
  16. Testaverde

Testaverde Active Member

I'm sure you believe this too.

Goodell on why he destroyed evidence:

Yeah, makes sense to me. The very thing that can prove to everyone that you are telling the truth or lying to cover up what they did, you destroy it.

You go on believing that cheating had nothing to do with 3 Super Bowl wins that were won by a total of 9 combined points.

74 and JetsVilma28 like this.
  17. felker

felker Active Member

18. Falco21

And why doesn't this happen every cold game?

These balls were tested because teams were complaining. Teams saw a significant difference in the ball and brought it to the attention of the referees.

If this is all true, why doesn't this happen in every single cold game? And if you're reasoning is because New England originally filled it to only 12.5 and other teams could fill it higher, than you are admitting New England has had a distinct advantage for however long.

19. Cellar-door

Cellar-door Active Member

Small quibbles, we don't know they were 2 lbs below the PSI limit, that isn't one of the things the NFL confirmed. Also the balls weren't replaced, they were reportedly re-inflated at the half and used in the 2nd half.

20. Geno007

Good point. But here what I think is going on. I think BB and Brady will be suspended for sometime next season. Because if the NFL already knew that they did nothing they would had said and moved on. If they came out now and suspended both or even one for some time next season they would catch even more shit,because people would think they should be suspended for the SB. That just my opinion.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.