Deflate-gate

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by 74, Jan 19, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SteveGrogan

SteveGrogan Well-Known Member

This made me LOL

2. SteveGrogan

Honestly if it makes it easier for other teams to accept the losses by thinking that it's happening for a reason other than being beat on the field... then I'm all for it. I don't get off on anyone's disgruntledness... I just like my team and the football they play. I think if what it's going to take is people getting frustrated with the patriots - then I'm actually pretty fine with it.

3. rammagen

rammagen Well-Known Member

so we have people saying ex-nfl players are full of crap because they know better...
    we have people saying this made no difference

the thing in common with both of them is that they are more then likely Pats fans. Go look at the rest of the nfl fan boards and see what other fans are saying, things like cheaters, the cover up from spygate (and by the way since the pats fans are soooo sure about spygate and the Rams I dare you to tell Marshall Faulk they were not cheated).
    I am sorry someone needs to be suspended, and heavy fines if not coupled with draft picks.
    the issue here cheater fans are forgetting is the integrity of the game but who am I to expect integrity from a bunch of band wagon ex bill fans who jumped the bandwagon in 2001.

This is no different then the pine tar and the Yankee pitcher and if I recall boston was up in arms over that? Mind you that stage was no where near as big as the nfl play off game and did not bring into question the entire season.

face it they were caught and now are tried in the court of popular opinion and have been found guilty. Go preach their innocences somewhere else because that dog does not hunt here.

4. rammagen

but they cheated and were caught explain that please, the balls did not magically deflate on their own unless in mass there is some exception tothe basic laws of physics we all don't know about.
    I don't think Bellicheat was involved but he is the head coach. The same way the suspended Sean Peyton they need to do NE

5. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

I wonder how fans of other teams feel. As Jets fans we are biased and all but say what does an Arizona Cardinal or Dallas Cowboy fan think when it comes to Pats.

6. JetsHuskers fan

JetsHuskers fan Well-Known Member

people out here hate the Pats.

7. pclfan

pclfan Well-Known Member

First your team hasn't won a Super Bowl in ten years. So you're not a dynasty. A better grip on a ball is an advantage. And can be a big advantage considering how close some pass plays are but NEP cheating wasn't the reason they won last Sunday. They won on both sides of the ball. But some people love to cheat and play games with the rules. It's in their DNA. It makes life less boring to them. Like Belichick and Brady.

8. rammagen

2 pounds of air lost look at the math when physics shows one lb lost with the weather change
    I am dying to hear how this is physically possible without cheating
    http://www.reddit.com/r/nfl/comments/2t50zn/graham_gano_tweets_interesting_point_about_ball/

Let's go ahead and assume that the Patriots knew that it was cold and that they'd like a softer ball. So they filled the balls to the minimum pressure allowed, which is 12.5 PSI. It is important to note that this is 12.5 PSI greater than atmospheric conditions. Or said differently, the pressure on the inside of the football is 12.5 PSI more than the pressure outside the football. This matters because it 12.5 PSI equals 0.85 atmospheres, but then you have to add the 1 atmosphere of pressure that the instrument ignores. This makes the pressure 1.85 atmospheres for our equation. And we're going to assume the referee's measured the balls in a temperature controlled building kept at about room temperature (72 F or 22C or 295K). Now, the balls are placed outside. The weather for the game was 51 settling down into the upper 40's as the evening went on. We'll just use the highest one (51F, 10.5C, 283.7K). We then use our handy dandy calculator and arrive at a pressure of 1.78 atmospheres (0.78 atmospheres above normal pressure, or 11.5 psi as measured). So, an acceptable game ball that is simply placed outside loses 1 psi.

9. Testaverde

Testaverde Active Member

So you pick the one that doesn't change the point? The player, the equipment manager, who cares who it was who noticed it? IT was noticed. I am telling you that you can tell a difference at 1 pound less let alone two. You can blindfold me and give me footballs that are underinflated by 1 pound and I will pick it out. A difference can be noticed and someone noticed it. This isn't the first time either:

Sources told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter on Wednesday that the Colts had concerns about underinflated balls after their regular-season game against the visiting Patriots on Nov. 16.

During that game, Colts safety Mike Adams twice intercepted Tom Brady and gave the balls to the Colts' equipment manager to save -- and both times there were concerns about the balls feeling underinflated, sources told Schefter.

What is bull is a QB saying he can't tell the difference between an underinflated ball. If an equipment manager can tell, so can Tom. Add in the fact that 11 out of the 12 balls were underinflated, this isn't difficult to figure out.

10. Charlie Kelly

Charlie Kelly Well-Known Member

Was there a tl;dr included with all of that?

11. SteveGrogan

I really don't care if someone calls us a dynasty... that has to be the stupidest thing I've ever heard in my life. Who's a dynasty? You know who's a dynasty? Nobody because they can ALL lose the next game. My skin crawls every time the idiotic "dynasty" debate comes out. This isn't for sports, they're not kings ruling people... they won a childs game because they worked hardest for it. That's a great story for anyone.

I only care about the game coming up next. I don't think old championships matter... I don't think hall of fame matters, I don't think stats matter. I think the Super Bowl matters and I'm excited as hell about it. Especially this one... this should be one of the last chances we have as a team with this nucleus... I'd like Wilfork to get another one also. Of course I'd REALLY like them to kick the seahawks teeth in after all this nonsense.... but at the end of the day we have a football game... and I'm lucky that the team I follow closest is in it.

12. rammagen

how cold would have had to have been to lose two lbs?

P1T2 = P2T1

Assuming the pressure was the bare minimum to start (12.5psi), the temperature in the locker room was 72 degrees, and the temperature outside was 50 degrees:

(12.5)(50+460) = P2(72+460)

P2 = 11.98 psi

So just from the temperature drop, it would lose just half a psi.

Also for fun, the temperature needed for the ball to lose 2 psi:

(12.5)(T2+460) = 10.5(72+460)

T2 = -13.12 degrees

carnifex2005 126 points 1 day ago

And for fun.......

And some agreement from Boston College...

Physicist: Cold weather couldn’t have deflated Patriots’ footballs

The chair of Boston College’s physics department is shooting down claims that cold weather could be the reason some of the footballs used on the field Sunday evening during the New England Patriots’ 45-7 drubbing of the Indianapolis Colts may have been deflated.

“The pressure loss due to the temperature alone cannot be the issue in my mind,” said BC physics professor Michael J. Naughton, after plugging temperature data into a formula that calculates pressure loss. “If the footballs were notably lower pressure, then the only way it could have happened was if someone went in and stuck a needle in the ball and let two-thirds of the gas out, which means it is now up to the NFL to follow the chain of command — but no logical physics can explain the kind of pressure loss they’re talking about.”

FlaJet likes this.
  13. rammagen

that was the short version I am taking this to mean
    too long; didn't read

14. FlaJet

FlaJet Well-Known Member

LGR

15. mute

mute Well-Known Member

ESPN to question Bill Nye the science guy?

16. FlaJet

FlaJet Well-Known Member

Yup she will kick brady and his wife's azz. Don't get her angry..

17. pclfan

pclfan Well-Known Member

Well then you're the exception to the rule for NEP fans. I can't think of very many of them who don't look at the past 14 years under Belichick and gloat. And you have a right to. Now stop the cheating.!

18. BigSnacks54

BigSnacks54 Well-Known Member

Most Falcons and Seahawks actually side with us. The Patriots are cheaters, and only their moronic fans, especially those at Patsfans.com, fail to see or comprehend this.

19. Unhappyjetsfan

Unhappyjetsfan Well-Known Member

Well, that's a complete load of BS; feel free to peddle it elsewhere.

20. JetsHuskers fan

JetsHuskers fan Well-Known Member

Every pats fan believes that shit about spygate. Every time someone brings it up they throw a long winded response in there.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.