Defense is the problem

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Joe Willie White Shoes, Nov 5, 2007.

1. CharlotteJet

CharlotteJet New Member

But actually, the Jets lost to the Redskins' running game. Clinton Portis had 196 yards on 36 carries. Ladell Betts added 64 on nine. QB Jason Campbell scrambled twice for 31. In all, the 'Skins had 48 carries for 296 yards.

...enough said.

2. ScotlandJet

ScotlandJet New Member

Ha! Priceless, I knew Chad was getting the blame from someone.

3. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

Really?????

How many picks did KC throw yesterday ?
    Especially late with the game on the line ?

4. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

As many as he did TDs. (late with the game on the line)

#24 Don, Nov 5, 2007
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2007
  5. JUNJOBX2199

JUNJOBX2199 New Member

Disagree! Coles would have been helpless on the side lines as they ran the ball down our throat. Probably would have dropped just as many as crotch did due to the new velocity that the ball is arriving in.

6. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

No Picks.

No Late Picks.

No Late Picks for TD's.

It's not possible to rationally argue, that Minus Coles, and with at least 5 drops, (and the WR's getting raped +5 down the field), that the QB play was not SUBSTANTIALLY better over the course of the game, than it has been since week 2.

7. VickBlows

VickBlows Active Member

I said last week that now we’ll find out if our receivers are truly worth a shit with a quarterback not lobbing the ball like a homo.

First impressions…nope.

8. ollie

ollie Right Wing NutJob

you gotta give them some time to adjust...

9. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

And no points. Where is the substantial improvement? He produced 13 points in 75 minutes and 3 in the last 51. They didn't need picks, without Washington's KO return they beat us in regulation.

10. VickBlows

VickBlows Active Member

Definitely – also noticed that when KC gets a little fired up – he tends to fire the ball in there much harder which lead to a few drops.

11. GreenHornet

GreenHornet New Member

Kellen brings a couple of immediate elements to his position; obviously, he can make throws that Chad can't. That has to have some positive impact. I also do not think we have seen the best of KC yet.

The other element is much better mobility. He has a pretty good set of wheels for a QB.

With all of that said our D still can't stop the run to save its life. We are as bad as I have ever seen - ever. Just horrible. I don;t think it is really a question of 4-3 vs. 3-4 anymore. I just think our D line stinks - period. We need help there big time in the off-season or we will be exactly the same next year or even worse. We need big bodies in there; I am not even so sure that a 390 pound NT is really going to make that much of a difference. I think we have to beef up in general. If teams can't run it down our throat anymore than they will be forced to go to the outside and also use screen plays. I think our linebacking corps is good enough to keep that caged up pretty well.

We also need at least one more big guy on our O-line. Mangold is very good. D-Brick - Hmmmm, not so sure anymore, but I think he will be decent enough. We still need somebody else to compliment them both.

I think we are looking at 4-12 or even 3-13 as sad as that is. I do not see us beating any top flight teams down the stretch and there is a possibility that we go into our typical December doldrum, too, and that would even bring 2-14 into play.

12. AlioTheFool

AlioTheFool Spiveymaniac

We can't stop the run. That's clear. Dyson isn't the player he should be, so there's a hole in the secondary because everyone is covering more ground than they should. The DLine sucks, end of story.

But anyone who believes this is exactly the same result we'd have had if Chad was playing is delusional, and that's being nice.

Based solely on the evidence presented this year, Chad would not have led us to overtime. Based solely on the evidence of this year, Chad would have thrown a late pick that kept Washington in the lead to run out the clock.

The defense gave up 5 FGs. 15 points on legitimate drives. The 8 scored via the TD was due to a fumble recovery leaving only 64 yards to cover. If that ball is not fumbled, one could argue that we might even score there, but at the very least, that TD doesn't score, and we win in regulation. But that's assumptive arguing, and I don't feel like getting into that.

So let's just revisit the Coles argument again. Where is a QB supposed to hit a receiver? Over his head, or in the numbers? Where is a receiver supposed to catch a ball? Over his head, or in the numbers?

Let's assume that it's true that Coles didn't have to jump to get his hands on the ball. He catches it over his head, and is still immediately popped. There's a good chance that ball comes out of his hands, and everyone is blaming him rather than Chad for a costly turnover.

Yup, that makes a lot of sense. I guess anything that doesn't villify Chad is a good thing, right?

I'm sick of the Chad apologists. It's tired. He couldn't make the throws. Period. If you couldn't see that with Clemens yesterday, you may have seen it from guys named Manning or Brady. But those Chadcolored glasses (and they aren't green or even rose,) are fogging your vision, and worse yet, your minds.

13. Jtuds

Jtuds Active Member

Exactly, if the fans on thsi site would take their fuckign blinders off and have some common sense, they'd see where the problem is on this team.

But all the ball watchers only know 3 positions: QB, RB, and WR.

14. CharlotteJet

CharlotteJet New Member

How many games have we given up the lead in the 4th...that falls on the D's shoulders? Tackle someone!

15. winstonbiggs

winstonbiggs 2008/2009 TGG Bill Parcells "Most Respected" Award

This team is loaded with problems, the fact that your mind can't wrap around more than 1 problem at a time is not a reflection of other posters intelligence. Many intelligent posters are capable of focusing on several problems almost simultaneously.

16. FOURTHANDLONG

FOURTHANDLONG Active Member

We have a good QB Now, A good Rb that is not being used and Two good Wr's! Now that Chad is out we have a shot at winning a game. If noodle would have played yesterday they would have jumped his routes and blitzed him into mistakes all day. The game would have been over by halftime. Everyone who wants CHad out realizes our Defense is horrible and has to be rebuilt from top to bottom. At least CLemens gives us a shot to win a game despite the fact that our defense is a disgrace! You should take the blinders off and realize that at least we have some weapons on Offense and if the Qb can step it up we might have a punchers chance of winning. Not using the defense that everyone knows stinks for a built in excuse like Chad every week!

17. GreenHornet

GreenHornet New Member

Clemens gives us more options and yes I think he can keep the games closer than Chad, currently. We also need to use this time to fully evaluate wht KC can and can not do to re-engineer our playbook for next year. The defense is what has absolutely destroyed us this year. If we do not beef up in the off-season, I think I will be very sick come next August.

18. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

You know, when I go back over the season it strikes me that the offense has been responsible for some loss' and the defense has been responsible for some.

But mostly its been a combination of both. Then some will blame the coach and that may be a contributing factor as well.

In the end its the players fault on both sides of the ball. When the game is on the line the players have to step up and make a big play. If you dont do this you dont deserve the win. We haven't done this and thus we get what we desearve.

19. FOURTHANDLONG

FOURTHANDLONG Active Member

The Defense has to be fixed from top to bottom. The first thing that needs to be done is to get a True NT. The prob is what do we do if McFadden is available when we pick. Pass on the next Possible Adrian Peterson because our D is so bad. It is very possible this could be our scenario come draft day.

20. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

of course, you know you were wrong and now you were half joking. :rolleyes:

Once again, pay attention and you might learn something.

you are completely clueless, if he doesn't jump he is not lined up for that shot and thus doesn't aborb a big blow and would ahve been playing yesterday. It's not about pro Chad or anti Chad. I am pro NY Jets, I am rooting hard for KC, I want to win. I appreciate what Chad did and I'll root for him if he gets another opportunity unlike folks like you that just have agendas.