Defend Maccagnan

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by King Koopa, Dec 25, 2016.

1. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I'll tell you what. Paxton Lynch is 100% coming to MY frat party over Hackenberg.

tbruner12 and 101GangGreen101 like this.
  2. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

[​IMG]

Total bro.

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  3. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

Only thing Macc has going for him is that we will have a ton of cap space after trimming the fat. Won't do any good if we can't get good players from the draft though.

4. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

If the players were "out of sorts" isn't that a problem the coach is supposed to fix? What's his job?

Before I give this coach another set of downs I have to see what he has accomplished that looks like the seeds of success have sprouted and are beginning to grow and flourish. Are you seeing something that the rest of us are missing? Where is the glimmer of hope coming from? What shows up when you look at this season that is even slightly indicative that Bowles can get the job done? Don't tell me about a year ago if you can't tie that into a month ago or a week ago. Why does he "deserve" another five minutes, much less five games?

5. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Excellent post! My only quibbles are with Lee being listed as a question mark and L Edwards as being a likely bust. Lee progressed a lot, has leadership skills, a high motor, is fast and is talented. With better coaching, I think he will be a star. Edwards has a cannon for a leg. I don't know if he got poor coaching, had an injury, got tired or what, but I think he will be a quality punter in the NFL.

Everything else is spot on!

6. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

We'll have to agree to disagree regarding Bowles being fine last year. I think he was definitely better, because he did make some in-game adjustments last year that were encouraging, but I think a lot of his flaws were hidden because Fitz, B. Marshall and Decker were having banner years, and the secondary was playing fairly well. Even so, the Jets blew a number of games that they could and should have won, and would have won if the team showed up at all.

When players don't play well or live up to their potential, it's on the CS. Even if it was position coaches who were the problem, Bowles evidently never straightened them out. The bottom line is the buck stops with him. If his coaches fail, he fails. If Bowles has indeed lost the respect of the players, or a large chunk of them, there's no coming back from that. Bringing him back would only insure that next year will be even worse and a colossal failure that would make this season pale in comparison.

I think bringing him back would be a colossal mistake. IMO firing a HC in the middle of the season is the worst possible thing a team could do. Talk about making other HCs not wanna come and coach for the Jets. Having a HC fired at the ned of his second season where the team woefully underperformed wouldn't bother me nearly as much as bringing that HC back for a 3rd season, and then firing him part way into the season. IMO if you have doubts about a HC, you don't bring him back for another season. If you bring him back, you keep him for the entire season.

The only coach that I think deserves to be retained on this CS is the WR coach.

7. PulseJet

PulseJet Well-Known Member

I didn't like how Lee and Rontez got burnt on that first Brady pass to Bennett last week. I felt like Lee should have prevented that pass by dropping back more. It was one play but I worry about his instincts. But your right he could be good. The jury is out on both Lee and Edwards. You wonder how good these guys would be with better coaching, given the drop off of vets pre-Bowles.

8. PulseJet

PulseJet Well-Known Member

Thanks btw..

9. King Koopa

King Koopa Well-Known Member

I'm not going over every single what if.....He had an open checkbook and some nice draft picks when he took over. He could have shaped this team up in so many different ways that it's pointless to say trade down here, or sign this guy, or draft that guy...As fans we don't have to do this anyway, we can judge based on results as the GM should be smarter than all of us anyway, right?

The bottom line is 2 years later, I feel we are still so far away from competing at a contender level...This lack of progress is not all Macc's fault but he has to take a huge part of the blame...He is the damn GM of the team!

I'm not using hindsight at all....I am going by the results I see and it isn't pretty. We have one of the worst futures in the league right now when you consider core, salary, key players to build around, etc.

Again, all of it isn't Macc's fault but I was hoping for a higher trajectory and better progress after 2 seasons. We are still in the basement of the NFL, I feel like we're in neutral. He's made a few nice signings, a few nice draft picks but you can say that for every team. We need more, much more

#169 King Koopa, Dec 28, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2016
    tbruner12 likes this.
  10. alleycat9

alleycat9 Well-Known Member

you guys have changed my mind to a certain extent. he did make a couple of sensible or good moves in free agency, while there was no long term plan there he was put in a pretty shitty situation with a couple of those guys he had to pick up.

11. BomberJet

BomberJet Well-Known Member

You should read what you wrote.....I still can't understand what is it that you think the Jets should do for the next season? I have strong convictions about them keeping the GM and getting rid of Bowles. They made the right choices based on the performance and improvements made in the 2015 season, with very little second guessing by most that followed the team. To think that Mac should have tore the team down completely after 1 season, that is just plain absurd.

So what the fu$k is your answer or what YOU thought should have been done.? Crying chicken little is what I make of your posts. Your all over the place.

James Hasty likes this.
  12. King Koopa

My main issue is the QB position I guess when it comes down to it

2 years later and we're still in a world of shit at the most important position in sports

I have posts here 100% against signing Fitz at all and wanted us to draft Dak instead of Hack

Yes I can find those posts too if you want

For next season sign Tyrod Taylor or find a way to draft Dashaun Watson.....Romo and drafting a mid round QB would be ok too

There ya go

13. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

You're acting like Maccagnan's only option was to sign Revis, Cromartie, Gilchrist, Skrine, Carpenter, Forte, etc. and trade for Marshall, Fitzpatrick, Clady. The only three players on the list of acquisitions of the hundreds of millions of dollars spent that will be quality contributors on the roster next year are Carpenter, Skrine, and Forte (Forte, who is basically uncuttable).

There were plenty of other options in that free agency period and routes we could've gone to acquire players that would've been on the roster for longer than a season or two.

OLB Brian Orakpo (28)
    OLB Pernell McPhee (26)
    OLB Jabaal Sheard (26)
    WR Jeremy Maclin (27)
    WR Michael Crabtree (27)
    C/G Rodney Hudson (26)
    OT Jeremy Parnell (29)
    TE Jordan Cameron (27)
    RB DeMarco Murray (27)
    RB Ryan Matthews (27)
    FS Da'Norris Searcy (27)
    FS Darian Stewart (27)

Instead, for the second time in franchise history, we tried to build a super secondary and it backfired. Instead of trying to spread the wealth throughout the team, we tied up about $35-$40 million into four players in our secondary. The only positive thing he did was make sure that these contracts could be voided by the time this season was over. You're telling me you wouldn't like to have had Pernell McPhee ($7.6 million cap hit this year) and Michael Crabtree ($11 million cap hit this year) for the $17 million we paid Revis this season?

Not to mention that Maccagnan spent nearly the first week or so, maybe a little bit less, of the free agency period trying to lock up Revis while the Patriots kept bidding us up. By the time he finally finished that contract, the talent pool was starting to dry up.

I looked up free agents from that year. Buster Skrine was ranked the 23rd best corner available in free agency that year, according to Walterfootball. He has the 17th largest cap hit among NFL cornerbacks for 2017 (for a whole 2 interceptions/1 sack in 2 years).

FJF, alleycat9 and King Koopa like this.
  14. King Koopa

Great post but that's not even touching on the drafts...2 complete non contributors in the 2nd round that no one really wanted

We were begging for o-line and pass rushing help and it's still an issue

tbruner12 likes this.
  15. Matty Jets

Matty Jets Well-Known Member

Why would we need Maclin or Crabtree with Decker and Marshall in the fold? Jordan Cameron didn't do anything this year.

Our running game wasn't the problem either. The coaching staff didn't play the right one unit Forte was hurt.

16. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

I take issue with this angle.

It's not like GM does the shopping on his own, then gives the players to the HC so the HC can cook some stuff out of them. Or is that how it works? Don't GM and HC work together and discuss to target what player and draft which kid, etc etc? Especially because Bowles does not work for Macc, I don't know how much of personnel decision should be his responsibility. You can't sign or draft a player that HC does not want after all - or is there a way a GM can force a HC, working on equal footing, to play a certain player? [Beep me if you find it.]

Unless I can spot Macc [forcing] or [influencing] Bowles from the OLBs or WRs [I see no reason for it frankly - Jets actually drafted well in these positions in the past two seasons.] I don't think it would be a good idea to blame Mac for these. [Same with secondary stuff. This clusterfuck of chain of command is Woody Johnson's fault, first and foremost.]

17. pdxdrew

pdxdrew Well-Known Member

I think Macc gets another year with Bowles. If Hack turns out to be a dud. If he can't start a decent rebuild along with developing the player's he's already selected..... we go elsewhere.

18. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

This team was a clusterfuck when Mac arrived,you cant expect a miacle in a year or 2.
    I'm all for giving Mac another draft...some of these players need time to develop.

19. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

U R not seriously now R U when any body offers U R a couple of million dollar a year position U snatch it up since in just 2 years at the job U can retire for the rest of your life :mad:

20. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

All I have to say is Macc has to be one of the stupidest GMs since he passed on the Dak that error along should be his ticket to be axed today :mad: