Dee Miliner...have I missed something?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Big Derty, Oct 15, 2013.

1. PolygamyWinsChampionships

PolygamyWinsChampionships Well-Known Member

Assume you're referring to me, if you'd bother to read a month back I said the same thing as soon as he started turning the corner. Back when everyone called him a bust and worse. And before that I was hating on him like everyone else too. So yeah, love the new forum rules or I'd say more.

Guess if he played like Revis in his prime you'd be happy, right?

2. Jetaho

Jetaho Well-Known Member

I agree that we've got to keep things in perspective. Its just one game against a 4 win team and he's got a long way to go.

When you say "the jury is out", what do you mean? You seem to be itching to call him a bust and embrace another failed draft pick. I think this is what is so upsetting for some. The guy is a Jet. He is a starter. He could wind up a Hall of Famer or a journeyman, or anything in between. Who knows? We need to be patient and build an environment where kids like this can thrive. We need to be patient.

3. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

I'm starting to get the feeling that Milliner is miscast as a press CB. I think he's probably a Cover-2 CB in the NFL. He doesn't mirror the receiver very well, as a press CB has to be able to do given the amount of close proximity running he does with his man. He is however a very good pass defender when he is playing off of his man, as in a Cover-2 zone scheme.

He's ok in press man to man on the goal line because his assignment has no room to make a double move and run away from him.

4. PolygamyWinsChampionships

Idk I think it's a little early to say that. You see Gordon destroy him on the first post-flag cut for 25 yds. Then he runs the same exact route shortly after, picks up the same 25 yds, but Dee had a much better break on it. Sure, you can argue same route twice, he's liable to play it better but I think his awareness is starting at more or less 0 and we're watching him relearn everything on the fly.

His range and closing speed is undeniable, but I'm not at all convinced he doesn't wind up being able to do anything when it's all said and done.

5. Br4d

Don't get me wrong, I like him a lot and I think he's going to do good things for the Jets. I think it's important that the Jets not try to turn him into a Revis-like press CB until they're sure he can handle it. He was getting killed earlier in the season trying to play that role and he's still kind of shaky at times even now when he is playing much better.

If he can make a break on the ball he's dangerous but if he's playing with his back to the ball he can get burned pretty quickly, and has this year.

I hope his ability to stay with his man and also keep tabs on the ball improves but right now he is kind of weak in that situation.

The Jets had him playing off Gordon most of the time and with safety help over the top and he had a very good game despite the 6 catches Gordon got. That's where his strengths are maximized.

On the flea flicker Gordon had 5 yards on him but there was the safety over the top and so Gordon was blanketed and didn't get targeted. Earlier this season Milliner (or Cromartie) would have been in press on that play with no help over the top and boom long TD pass.

#725 Br4d, Dec 22, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2013
  6. 94Abraham

94Abraham Well-Known Member

Not at all. Just Rex and Sanchez mostly. I dont hate Dee at all. I just think it was a bad pick and a total reach at #9. For the first time all here he made an impact play. Kudos to him. However, we need to see some consistency and not just a flash in the pan for one game.

7. 94Abraham

I think we should all have the perspective you have that blows every coach and every player possible and no one can do any wrong. That makes more sense, right? If you want to settle for mediocrity, be my guest. Just very funny that you wait until now to come back around with your pro Milliner crap but disappeared for most of the year because he was playing like the worst CB in the NFL for god knows how long. Whatever helps you sleep at night though.

8. MenOverGod

MenOverGod Well-Known Member

Nick Saban doesn't teach back pedaling

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. jaywayne12

jaywayne12 Well-Known Member

what the hell are you blabbing about with new forum rules? Is your point that your trying to hide your emotions over the internet even more? Im not following you about the new forum rules..not one bit.

Christ, if he played like Revis in his prime, I wouldnt just be happy...i would be really really happy?

I think there are about 10 guys here defending him so if you are one of them..yeah..I meant you. But please...I will not report you...never reported anyone before...so go ahead from behind your screen and blast away bud.

10. Mitch_Dumstein

Terrific game by Dee today. Best DB on the field for either team by miles. Indisputable

11. jaywayne12

You might be dead on..the play he makes the pick on was not man on man coverage...he read it perfectly. The qb looked to his right and then looked back and left and the receiver was wide open...Dee saw the qb look back and the receiver wide open and started to close before the pass was thrown. It was a very very good read....and a great cover 2 play.

12. PolygamyWinsChampionships

Oh, so now it's ok that he's a promising 1st round pick who you didn't say is the worst CB to ever play the position and all. You totally didn't say he's worse than Gholston, working at McDonald's, etc. etc. Just accept that you don't have a clue and move on. I never claim to be the keenest eye for football in the world but I do follow the team and have an idea about the game, 50% more than you at the minimum.

Things I've been wrong about in the past few years, Stephen Hill. Thought he had it based on the measurables, was dead wrong, no problem admitting it. I thought Sanchez could have been a franchise QB if developed properly, it's still an argument since he wasn't but I won't stick up for that bust anymore. More often than not the post history shows I'm right or at least not wrong, how about you, fool?

13. jaywayne12

and then you get this. No Mitch..he was the best rookie every to put the cleats on ever. Mitch..you should be a defense lawyer...dont get me wrong..you would be a lawyer for folks that cant afford one...court appointed..but they actually do very very well.

14. PolygamyWinsChampionships

There weren't many defending him before this week, but whatever. Tighter rules about language in 'personal attacks', no biggie.

Revis in his prime exhibited in rookie Milliner would make you really, really happy? How about unrealistic expectations, think that'll make it through.

15. jaywayne12

Ok, so you really wanted to curse and swear and attack me but the new forum rules prevented that from happening? You wanted to go off from behind the screen and attack me...but the new rules prevented that so you just as you said...left if at that..am I understanding this correctly? If not, I apologize from behind my screen..but I just want to know what that line meant about you and how the new rules were really restraining you with me.

16. 94Abraham

You cant even say after one good game that he is promising. There have been plenty of busts in the past who are capable of a good game or two but have no consistency. He could turn out to be a near Gholston level for all we know. Its still very early. People like you just want to look for the next best thing and will jump at any chance of any positive showing and just go with it. You have no clue about anything. If you did, you wouldnt be on here hiding in your basement for the last month or two waiting and waiting for the time Dee finally has a good game where he made an impact play and scroll back and copy someones post and say "i told you". Youre a piece of garbage who knows jack and your constant defense of Rex and his lack of accountability for the offense as well shows it more and more.

17. jaywayne12

This is the line you used...to me...from home...I mean....it really sounded like you wanted to really say a lot more.

18. PolygamyWinsChampionships

I really wanted to blatantly insult you, but the new rules don't allow that anymore. It's super important, can you understand?

19. Br4d

We're all thinking Rex's defense with the heavies in the front 7 and press coverage but the Jets also have some pieces to go with the Tampa Cover-2. Specifically they have the fast penetrating big guys and the fast guy inside DeMario Davis. They could add a piece or two and do the Cover-2 really well. Better than anything the Herm Jets did. Those teams didn't have the linemen the Jets have. They had good linemen but the Jets have maybe a couple of Sapp quality guys.

20. 94Abraham

Mr internet tough guy at his best. I dont think anyone will report you for any garbage choice words you say but have at it. We all need a good laugh.