Dee Miliner...have I missed something?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Big Derty, Oct 15, 2013.

1. BookEndTackles 72&79

I don't want to hear about it taking CB's time to develop. He's shown NOTHING to indicate he will develop. You can't defend this guy's play. How difficult is it to turn around and look for the ball??? Just watch the receivers head and eyes and when he starts to track the ball turn your head. That prayer Manuel threw up there was a joke for so many reasons. First of all it was an all out blitz. In your head you know that ball has to come out in 3 maybe 4 seconds top so turn around and look for goodness sakes. The ball hung up there forever. It took him nearly 3 steps to adjust after the receiver stopped and basically made a fair catch on the ball. He's so lost technique wise. He's beat deep, he's beat short. 3rd and 4 and he's playing the deep ball and let's his guy catch a 7 yarder when he is 3 yards from the receiver.

2. rsmehta

rsmehta Active Member

Yea he definitely over hypes stuff, but he's also somewhat honest.

When someone has a seemingly terrible game, he'll never say the person "played extremely well...." Like the way he did about milliner today.

3. jaywayne12

jaywayne12 Well-Known Member

I have killed the secondary going all the way back to the Falcon win (which I got clobbered for..lol) but I will say this. You look at Dee getting beat..you look at A.C. getting beat..and there is never any safety to help out...never.

Does the secondary suck? Yes..but whos idea was it to start the game against a shit qb..with a defense ranked number 1 against the run..and having our cbs playing 10 yards off the ball?

For the life of me..I would love to bold the above paragraph and scream it out a hundred times. Who the hell decided to play against a team that has no passing game...us having the number 1 run defense..and have our dbs playing 10 yards off the ball?

Why would you go into a game with that gameplan? Please explain that to me. If you are going let your dbs hang out there to dry with no safety help? Allow a shit qb throw 5 yard passes? Not allow our defensive line much time early to get to the qb?

That was a horrible gameplan..and 2 weeks to produce it.

Rex joked about going to a cover 2 after the game. I think that would be a very wise thing to do and the only thing that could save this team right now.

4. DemoIsland

DemoIsland Member

This guy is a bum, plain and simple. I wouldn't say he hasn't made any great plays yet, because he has, just for the opposing team.

5. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Milliner is beginning to bear a scary resemblance to Kyle Wilson in coverage. The Kid really shouldn't be playing this season although I understand that when you're drafted that high, you play.

Too early to call Milliner a bust, but it doesn't look good right now for sure.

6. Jeti

Jeti Well-Known Member

I remember guys saying we were spoiled by Revis

Fuck that

How are spoiled by a guy who plays the position at a high level

Our corners don't even jam receivers anymore

And it's costing the team big time

7. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

true stuff but the frustration stems from his draft slot (9) and his current perfromance.

u would think the jets would have recognized the possibility of a slow adjustment and went with a more safer strategy at 9....

which may or may not have involved trading the pick, a different player, or something else.

8. RochesterJet

RochesterJet Well-Known Member

There are more issues on this team than just Dee. He is getting picked on like all rookie CB's are, he needs to show development. The problem is DB's more than any other position need to play to gain experience and get better.

Combine this with our turnover machine behind center is a recipe for disaster. The front 4 is getting worn down from all of the TO's and its showing up on the backend. I expect we will see more zone next week...

9. MenOverGod

MenOverGod Well-Known Member

If Sheldon was the 9th pick and Dee was 13th do we still hear this argument because he's no longer a Top 10 pick?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. wewantsapp

wewantsapp Well-Known Member

This, +1 100%.

Maybe Rex needs to adjust that "CB on an island by himself has to play error free" philosophy a little bit. He tried it with another 1st rounder Kyle Wilson & despite all the finger waving was never able to recover his confidence.

11. wewantsapp

wewantsapp Well-Known Member

Yes...........

12. BookEndTackles 72&79

Yeah, this is just annoying and I don't understand it. It seems to me this is being taught technique wise by the staff as there is no other reason for it. Is the new DB coach responsible for teaching this? I know you can't jam and play press every snap but these receivers yesterday were way down the depth chart and the secondary was still scorched badly.

13. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

PREACH BROTHA! Jam the living shit out of the WRs. Especially these speedy guys who are no better than #3 and #4 WRs on their team. WTF was that?

14. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Like I said all off-season, and I will say it again - we should of drafted Warmack. We are getting killed with interior pressure. He hasn't been perfect - but it would of been a better fit then Millner. Brent Grimes could of been a stop-gap

15. Mean Green Machine

Mean Green Machine Active Member

That's basically what Milliner is being asked to do. Rex needs to have 1 deep like he had in Baltimore with Reed and have Landry in the box. Jam receievers and play them inside.

Rex has gotten away from his traditional philosophy which was blitz and jam receivers. Reed was a roamer and would play deep and the SS would be in run support most of the game.

Now we play a soft cover 0 against the Bills? Cover 0 without blitzing is useless and high risk no reward. The only time Cover 0 should be used is on obvious running situations. On cover 0 the CB's are basically safeties playing deep and will allow underneath throws ALL GAME to avoid getting beat deep.

Our front 7 can hold the run on it's own with little to no safety help so why is it that every play we have both safeties in the box? The formations we come out in just begs the opposing team to throw on us.

I never heard of a team that plays cover 0 as a base defense. Any offense will slowly pick you apart for 10 yard passes and then burn you deep. Our passing defense is very poor this year and 75% of it is on bad schemes by Rex and Co.

16. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

I know this may come across as a defense of Milliner, when it is not intended to be. But I think jamming those two receivers entailed some risk. They both have lots of speed. I in fact am wondering whether despite their being backups that they may well torment the Jets for years to come. You know we can't always count on the Jets getting the upper hand on the Bills.

17. No Fly Zone

No Fly Zone Well-Known Member

I know its more that they can't Jam receivers while playing cover 0 but even when they have their safety's playing back the corners still don't jam the receivers. Its frustrating knowing they give up so much space for QB's to operate.

Their front 7 gets pressure (most days) on the QB and that throws off the QB's timing, if they also jammed the receivers it throws it off even more. Rex must know this yet ignores it, he just wants to play mind games by having the QB guess who is blitzing rather than them getting physical. Receivers need to know when they play the Jets expect lots of ice afterwards, instead the opposing receivers salivate knowing how open they'll be against the Jets.

#457 No Fly Zone, Nov 18, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2013
  18. Royal Tee

Royal Tee Girls juss wanna have fun

Everyone wants to ignore it ...but god damn this D would of been ridiculous w/Revis ...

Not opening a debate just thinking of how good we'd be...

But hey, what did you guys spend the extra money we saved on?:shit:

19. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

Arguably the best player in the draft by many prior to being chosen is probably now the worst draft pick of the year

20. tcrock

tcrock Well-Known Member

can't say that because the d line wouldn't be the same as it's made up now with potential DROY on our team as compensation for Revis

oh and Milliner sucks