Deadline Options?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Jonathan_Vilma, Oct 16, 2023.

1. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

I think you gotta make a call about Ryan Tannehill.

There's no way the Titans are gonna wanna go back to him after their rookie had a 4 touchdown game. The future is now for them. Tannehill can be available.

I'm not a huge Tannehill fan but he's definitely an upgrade from Zach Wilson and probably gets us to the playoffs. My concern would be that Joe Douglas waited too long and now you have teams like the Vikings and Giants and Browns also looking for QB help

2. barfolomew

barfolomew Well-Known Member

if we get oline we may not need to get tannehill. we may make the playoffs with zach if we can plug some gaps.

NY Jets68 likes this.
  3. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I wouldn’t mind bringing him here to be the backup but he’s been awful this year and arguably worse than Wilson from what I’ve seen. His arm looks completely dead on anything over ten yards.

HomeoftheJets and barfolomew like this.
  4. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

thats true I havent watched him in 2023. I would find it hard to believe he couldn't put up more than 10 points in regulation in yesterday's game though

barfolomew likes this.
  5. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

Yeah flipping a pick or Lawson/Cook for an OL sounds great, but how realistic is it. Who is trading an OL? It's an issue for so many other teams too. Nonetheless, I'm expecting bad news about McGovern and Schweitzer and doubt Tippman is coming back soon, so they really need to start acquiring some interior OL in some way shape or form.

HomeoftheJets, SOJAZ, Borat and 3 others like this.
  6. Nyjets4eva

Nyjets4eva Well-Known Member

We def need to make a trade for two bodies and also another WR would be nice as well

barfolomew likes this.
  7. jcass10

jcass10 Well-Known Member

I'm probably looking at WRs first and foremost. Having someone besides G. Wilson getting open would be really nice.

Obviously, getting an OL would be nice. I dont know how many legitimate offensive linemen are going to be available.

barfolomew, sozopol and Borat like this.
  8. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

hard to determine which is a bigger need, WR or OL, but they are both needs for sure. Funny how a season goes…mostly due to injuries. Coming into the season OT was more of a concern than IOL, but now after yesterday it’s more likely the other way around…Crazy how many OL injuries we’ve had in the last two years.

WR is also a need, and there may be more options available in trade at WR than at OL, but there are LOTS of teams with OL issues, and with the standings so jumbled up with a bunch of teams in the race still at like 3-4 or 4-3, I’m doubting there will be many good options out there at all.

It’s rough

9. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

Im hoping JD finds a way …. He has worked magic before regarding trades, FAs. He needs to come through big time now ….

Jets79 likes this.
  10. Jonathan_Vilma

I just think the problem is that bad offensive line play is a plague around the league right now. No one has any spare guys they’ll trade for a 4th round pick and if they do have spare guys, lineman get rolled up on and drop like flies so they need the depth.

That’s why I think the happy medium is to find another playmaker as teams have historically been more willing to deal them.

Speed on the outside takes a lot of pressure off of the line at times. The Eagles transformation from 2019-2022 can be looked at as a model. They went from the worst receivers in the league to the best while having good offensive line play. But the franchise looked like it was in a free fall at one point before they fired Pederson.

KY Jets Fan likes this.
  11. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

While landing a dominant offensive lineman or a quarterback would be a huge accomplishment I do not think we would be able to get one without giving up too much in return.

Assuming neither is available getting a stud at running back, receiver, or safety is where we could do something.

A run stuffing safety or a security blanket for Zach might net us a few more points in each of our remaining games.

KY Jets Fan likes this.
  12. cval

cval Well-Known Member

I hear Kirk Cousins is available.

-----To Soon ?

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  13. Savatage

Savatage Well-Known Member

Hopefully, JD can find another "Nate Herbig" somewhere.

JetFanInPA and IDFjet like this.
  14. MDJets

MDJets Well-Known Member

He also has a bad high ankle sprain and don’t think he s ready anytime soon. He s also on the downhill like you said. Not a good mix.

15. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

Admittedly I haven't seen him play this year and his numbers look bad, but how can he be worse? Trouble is he has a base salary of 27mm all guaranteed--way to high--Tenn would have to agree to eat much of that.

But if we get good deal, let him rest up 2-3 weeks and get him ready for games 11-17.

16. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

If they really want to upgrade the roster, I think they have to make a move for a WR.

As a few of you have already said, it's highly doubtful that anyone is willing to trade any OL unless we give up an arm and a leg.

Would be easier for us to get another guy that can create separation and go with more of a short passing attack for a while and hope that guys like Tippman, Brown, & McGovern can come back sooner rather than later.

Borat likes this.
  17. Jonathan_Vilma

I’d also have these two lists open on my desktop if I’m the Jets front office. Gabe Jackson used to be pretty good. Surprised to see him out there.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/2023/all/guard//

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/2023/all/center/all/

C
    enters a bit more difficult given the work with a QB, cadences and overall offensive responsibilities but I spot three guys who have started before (Ben Jones, Nick Martin and Roullier).

kevda5n9ne and KY Jets Fan like this.
  18. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Evans and Adams are not actual options so I'm not including them. Broncos might be out of firesale mode so I'm not including Jeudy or Sutton.

Mooney? Is he even available?
    Renfrow? Is he even a fit? He needs to be able to find soft spots and sit, does this O allow for that?

And the biggest issue... do JD, Saleh and Hackett think they need an upgrade or are they doing their classic stubborn "we have the right system and the guys we want in it" and assume that it'll all work out with Gipson in the slot and Brownlee/Taylor as backups?

KY Jets Fan likes this.
  19. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

That's where I am at also. WR is a must. Zach needs all the help he can get and we just don't get any separation. Now we can see why the worst qualified WR in NFL Cobb was playing over Gipson. It looks like Taylor did get that key PI, but other than that was invisible. Zach is not going to all of the sudden and become top 10 QB in NFL this season, and he needs all the help he can get. With Lazard at #2 and Cobb/Gipson/Taylor/Brownlee at #3, there is only GW and TEs to go to. Add they usually bracket GW, where it is harder for him to get open.

We need to pray to god GW plays almost every snap AND get at least one more WR that can get open. Without that, there will be a lot more offensive performances like this one. Line is a problem too, if someone decent is available, maybe we can get one also, but I don't know if good lineman will be on trading block, while WR might be. As much as it pains JD to give away some draft capital, wasting this season may be even worse. And I don't think premium picks will be required to get help. Philly just got all Pro Safety for late picks. There has to be a way to get some guys who are less inept than Cobb without giving away the farm.

Jets79 and KY Jets Fan like this.
  20. Mehl-56

Mehl-56 Well-Known Member

When is Woody selling the team going to be the final option? It's been the BEST option since the day he bought the team - he's definitely in the running for the worst owner in the history of organized sport.

papapump likes this.