Day one offensive rebuilding draft that would work.

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by JetsFan, Feb 22, 2006.

1. JetsFan

JetsFan Well-Known Member

Lets start off the draft right with a trade. We have a lot of holes to fill and we want a solid young team that will be cap friendly for the next four year.

1st Rd - Trade the #4 pick for any pick in the 6-12 range and stock up a 2nd round pick. Teams want to trade up for many players just get the best deal and move on.
    --Draft LenDale White RB 6-1, 235 Southern California as the every down back we need.
    --Trade Abe for a later 1st rounder pick and get Brodrick Bunkley DT 6-2, 300 Florida State (I really hate this pick but we need a DT to hold the line and Robertson is not it. Thomas need to step up and fill the hole left by Abe or Johnson might.)

2nd Rd - 1st pick is Marcus McNeill OT 6-8, 322 Auburn to replace Fabini
    --2nd pick for trading down is Nick Mangold C 6-3, 297 Ohio State to replace Kevin

3rd Rd - 1st pick is Deuce Lutui OG 6-3, 338 Southern California to replace Kendall
    --End or 3rd round Compensation pick from Jordan we draft Charlie Whitehurst QB 6-4, 216 Clemson

End of day one and we have our new young offensive line in place with a starting runningback lined up behind our new face of the future at QB. As a bonus we finally have Furgy's replacement which the DL needed.

*I think we should sign Griese since his is the only veteran QB worth the money and have our QB line up as Whitehurst/Griese/Bollinger with the best guy starting come game one. I don't want us to draft a rookie QB at #4 and have to pay $7 million a year to a guy that could be a bust. Offer Griese a incentive based contract and the chance to be a starter.

2. Pride

Pride New Member

nice mock, only exception i would do is probably take mcneil at the end of round 1 and take gilles at the beginning of 2 n hope sinorice moss is there at 3

3. JetsFan

Thanks, I was waiting for every to rip into it for not drafting a QB at #4. The last thing we need right now is another huge QB contract.

4. wa2k99

wa2k99 Active Member

We probably won't within a month.

5. Mehl-56

Mehl-56 Well-Known Member

I posted this in another thread yesterday or the day before... seems we're very much on the same page...

Ellis

6. ny2dave

ny2dave New Member

Is Griese an UFA? Can we afford him? I'd rather stay at #4 and take Cutler. Trade Abe for a 1st and that pick and our 2nd and 3rd on the Oline. I'm willing to give Houston a chance to prove himself with CMart as back up.

7. JetsFan

Ellis,

Nice to know not everyone is on the Culter bandwagon. I would be happy as long as we solidify the Def and Off lines and add a RB on day one. We might be able to pick up a rookie QB on day two.

I think the secondary and widereceiver positions are okay for now. The LB core is solid as is too.

8. Mehl-56

It helps to see the forrest and not just some trees. There is more to building a succcessful franchise than jumping on the first QB you think can be a franchise QB for time to come. I feel next years QB crop will be much better than this years, so while we're waiting, build the rest of the team from the front 5 and running back on offense and the front 7 on defense.

Ellis

9. MSUJet85

MSUJet85 ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

That is exactly what I am thinking as well, I think people have been on too much Cutler kool-aid for the little that he has actually done, he screams of Boller incarnate from the word go.

10. Mehl-56

Boeller
    Ramsey
    Losman

next in that lineage...

Jay Cutler

Flashes in the pan that make draft day splash and struggle for a roster space by year 3.

Ellis

11. MSUJet85

MSUJet85 ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I like the draft personally I would take Williams, but I think both will do very well in this league, I think Bunkley is too small to be the NT that we need, other then that I will take this draft to the bank right now and look forward to a nice building block to our rebuild

12. ukjetsfan

ukjetsfan Well-Known Member

JetsFan, I love the way you focus on the lines - the building blocks of a team, yet still manage to get a quality new RB and a potential starter at QB (not that up on college ball so I'll have to bow to your judgement on that!). I would be happy with that draft and feel like the team was moving in the right direction, building from the foundations up.

13. JetsFan

The only problem that I see is it will take a year for the OL to get some experience and gel but I was never expecting us to complete for the playoffs this year anyways.

14. Patty Mac

Patty Mac New Member

Nice Mock, nice to see a RB round 1 instead of Cutler, I just dont think he's the answer. I personally like Williams a little bit better than White, but I wouldn't complain with either. Again, nice mock.

15. Long Time Jet Fan

Long Time Jet Fan New Member

Wow, I'll bet this really happens. Simply brilliant.

16. I like everything except the Bunkley pick. Dont get me wrong he's a great player, but playing style wise, he's very similar to D rob. We need a true NT who can push the pile and do the dirty work for D rob and Ellis. If Gabe Watson shows some work ethic he'd be a better pick.

17. BamaDoc

BamaDoc Active Member

Ellis:I like the rebuilding of the o-line but don't you think we need to adress pass rush also if we trade Abe?

18. Odds are, if Abe goes we'll be switching to a 3-4. In which case, the pass rush will rely on Mismatches created by the scheme and blitzing Lbers. Hobson, Barton and Vilma are all above average Blitzers, and McGlover has the speed and potential to be. At this point getting a true NT to compete w/ Pouha is much more important

19. F Miami

F Miami Active Member

any team that drafts Whitehurst is throwing away money. He will never be a starter.

20. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I don't really think they are similar at all. Bunkley thrives on his quickness off the snap and the fact that he has a motor that can go all game. DeWayne holds his ground and doesn't get pushed around, but he doesn't really get much of a push. I'd look for Bunkley to cause a lot of disruption in the backfield if he can put on say 5-10 more pounds.

However I definitley think he's better fitted to play in a 3-4 defensive end spot much like I thought Mike Patterson was last year.