Day after, Coherent, week 3 points

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by WoodyHarrelson, Sep 27, 2021.

1. WoodyHarrelson

WoodyHarrelson Well-Known Member

Man oh man, is it hard being a Jets fan. I don't think anybody here would care if we picked top 5 again, as long as we show promise. Unfortunately, the latter is not the case. We are regressing and regressing bad. To get shut out in the NFL is really impressive (satire), that is horrendous.

Before I get into the details of the game, I always want to circle back to JD. It's been a recurring theme of my posts. I think everyone would have been on board to give him time. But, with two off-seasons, he just hasn't done enough. While I appreciate he didn't overspend on horrid free agents (Trumaine Johnson), he didn't do enough where it mattered (OL). It seems everything he's touched has been bad:

JD Record:
    1. Let Robby Walk
    2. Drafted Becton over Wirfs in 2020. I don't even need to speak about the rest of that draft class (Mims included).
    3. Traded Sam, who appears to be just fine. Is it the right decision? I still think it was because you reset the QB clock but it's not right if you just make the same mistakes with Wilson.
    4. With that being said. AVT and Moore have not been impressive. I get it, they are young and that was the right call to help Zac but was hoping for Moore (no pun ;) Moore is a gimmick WR. Everyone knew that end around was coming and now he's going to be out i'd guess with a major concussion. You need to be able to stretch the field to use him effectively.
    5. OL FA signing. I get it, good OL don't always make it to the market. All I am saying is GVR (who was an imbecile for calling out Zac btw), Fant, and McGovern have been putrid. I don't think those guys will be in the NFL much longer. It wasn't enough. Drafting AVT was not enough.
    6. Corey Davis. Already appears to be a bad signing. I get it, we don't have our choice sometimes but wooof.

So with the above being said, as a GM, to only win 2 games in two full year will 100% get you fired. I think JD had the right plan but ultimately, the points shown above show it's just not enough. He needed to build heavy on the OL. Moore, while may be good in time, is no different than a healthy Crowder right now. We needed OL help. We can't run the ball and that's all it comes down do. What can you do with no ol? not a lot.

Lefleur:
    Unfortunately, his offense is not working. WR's dropping passes, no OL help, and complex routes just aren't the answer right now. He needs get Zac on the move more. If they dont want to play Mims, fine. But when they all get fired from going 0-12, don't feel sorry for yourselves. I just don't see it with his play calls. But, again, no run game so what can they do? Still feel like blame has to fall above.

It's tough but you can't give up on Wilson already since no other rookie QB looks good. But, with the Mims distraction, GVR calling out his QB to the media, and the way we lose, I wouldn't be so quick to move Saleh up here eventually if he doesn't get a hold of the situation.

At the end of the day, you need talent to win. The brown went 6-8 after their o-16 season. We may have 2 wins in 2 years. Nobody, not even a Gm on a 5 year contract, can survive that.

2. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

Well it’s tough to be balanced when the team is playing so damn shitty.

I don’t know if JD is feeling the heat from the Johnsons yet, but I gotta believe it’s getting warm. Losing was expected…being SO not competitive and getting shut out…not so much. Still…I don’t think he’s going anywhere. The Johnsons gave him control, he has new everywhere…coaches, QB, youth on the field, etc. I think we all expected better progress, but I just think the Johnsons are going to give him time.

agree on the points about JD….the OL should be better than it is. No question. Hard to evaluate the offense as a whole when the QB is leading the league in sacks and there’s no running game. I think JD saw that core issue but so far, his changes have not made the unit any better, and that’s on him.

Zach has looked every bit as terrible as Sam looked here…bad form, throwing off back feet, inaccurate….it’s all coming from complete lack of faith in the OL. Don’t know why our receivers keep dropping passes but it feels like we much else leading the league in drops…how about Corey starts catching balls that hit him in the hands…that would be nice. Zach has not been good, but he’s getting zero help from anyone on O.

the D has been a bit better than I expected considering all the youth…as we all knew, losing Lawson really hurts, as we don’t have any kind of consistent pass rush. I think we need help at LB for sure, but pass rush needs to be drafted….hard to manufacture without the horses, and good ones don’t get to free agency.

As for the coaching, I think we’ve all been banging on the OC….and it’s not unwarranted. This offense may be a good one, but either we are too young or not talented enough but whatever the reason, we aren’t able to run it. I’m seriously starting to get vibes of Paul Hackett, where he always went on about how it takes 2 to 3 years to learn it because it’s so complex. That’s just wrong. If that’s true, then find a way to simplify. I don’t think the playcalling has been helping…need to find some easy completions for a rookie QB behind a shit OL. And for the love of all that’s holy, I still refuse to believe that sitting Mims is the best option. Not based on what we’ve seen on the field. If these genius coaches can’t find a way to draw up like 5 plays that he can’t run, then they’re idiots.

so where do we go from here? I think this team probably will get better as we go…the OL should gel a little bit as they get more familiar and we get Becton back. Zach may start to pick it up if we don’t get him killed. We’ll see.

likely a 2-4 win team, even though right now it’s hard to see even one. But it’s a long season.

SOJAZ and Borat like this.
  3. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Was Davis this bad in Tennessee? I didnt follow his career

4. WoodyHarrelson

WoodyHarrelson Well-Known Member

I mean, he was let go on a playoff team. He was not better than AJ Brown.

5. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

He was good at contested catches.

[​IMG]

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  6. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

Corey Davis and AVT would both be solid starters on most NFL teams.

JD has been stingy with his cap space and made lots of mistakes but those two players were nice pickups.

You could argue that they are not worth the money or draft capital but they are both doing their jobs.

PJ4Ever likes this.
  7. RochesterJet

RochesterJet Well-Known Member

What we're seeing (I wont watch many more games as it's a re-run of last year) is a franchise that is clueless in terms of developing young players.

The good teams draft, develop and resign their core. The Jets lack an identity, other than a franchise who refuses to get it right.
    Truthfully, it's been this way since Rex and since Parcells before him.

This franchise is a fucking joke and deserves all the snark they get from the media.

8. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

He’s not wrong. Of course you shouldn’t say it in public, but who knows what goes on behind closed doors and during practice? Maybe Wilson rubs players the wrong way. Guys like that do ok when they produce, but Wilson’s obviously not producing.

And to be fair, Wilson’s been doing the same things since camp. Remember when he was seeing what he could get away with? He seems to be playing like he practiced.

Pepsiguy5 likes this.
  9. Pepsiguy5

Pepsiguy5 Well-Known Member

I think the thing that makes this all so rough is that Zach, AVT, and Moore (and I guess we could even throw Becton in there) as well as Corey Davis our biggest FA, and Saleh our exciting new head coach have ALL performed poorly and looked bad doing it so far.

I mean... without even getting into blame, I told you so's, we shoulda done x insteads, or radical fire whoever plans.... it just simply is what it is. And that is pretty disappointing. My feeling is at this point there isn't a whole lot that can be done aside from giving them all more time to get it together. I don't think its impossible that they can turn things around as a group. But it sure has been a disheartening start to the season.

10. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

Copied from the other LaFluer thread:

A few things come to mind here.

1. Saleh may have foreseen some issues with bringing Zach along which could be why Knapp was brought in.

2. There may be communication issues between LaFluer and the offense in general. The comments made during the Becton weight saga gave me the impression that LaFluer may have said some things to the media before talking with Becton himself. If that’s the case then it’s a great way to have players tune you out. Just speculation though and I could be misremembering the situation.

3. The players really aren’t executing. Between Wilson’s bad decisions/throws, receivers dropping passes, and blockers missing their assignments and just flat out getting beat, it doesn’t really matter if the game plan would effectively take advantage of an opposing defense. The crazy thing is if they make a handful of makable plays week 1 (and even week 2) they’d probably 1-2 and nobodies ready to fire anyone yet.

- If your game plan focuses on every weakness the defense has but you don’t have the personnel to run it then your game plan sucks.
    - If you’re players think you’re a prick because you have poor communication skills, they’ll tune you out.
    - Regardless of the first 2, if a player routinely misses a block or runs the wrong route, find someone who won’t.
    - LaFluer may just be in over his head, but as is so often the case, and argument can be made that he was setup for failure.

SOJAZ likes this.
  11. legler82

Most of his INTs have not been under pressure.

Jets81 and Pepsiguy5 like this.
  12. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

I agree they deserve the criticism until they show that it’s different now. I agree that we have been shitty at drafting overall, and then we have also been shitty at retaining the few good players we do draft. That’s been true for a long time. We always seem to have a reason why they are not worth paying. You can say that about most of our good players….going back to Farrior (not great for us, but went on to become a pro bowl player for the Steelers, so what did we do wrong?), Keyshawn (selfish?), Abraham (injury prone?), Santana Moss (one dimensional?), Revis (selfish), Adams (distraction)…we can go on and on. Again, not a super long list of quality drafted players, but these are players that went on and had success. Not saying they were all the wrong moves….for example, based on where we are now as a team, I think trading Adams was the right move, but still…the track record is what it is. We’re doing it now with Maye…he’s been a good player and deserves to be part of the solution, but we’re finding reasons to not do it (age?). It’s who we are.

I get JD had nothing to do with those prior decisions, but there’s something in this team’s DNA that we just keep making the same mistakes over and over and over.

13. Sack exchange

Sack exchange Well-Known Member

He is not off point, but this is rookie. All the “not ready” rookie QBs this year are holding the ball. As rotten as van rotten has played! He should keep his mouth silent. He has sucked since he has come here. Another not great JD signing. But to be honest it is hard to find good OL in FA for reasonable $. Wish we would have signed an upgrade this year!! It was readily evident he was marginal at best. If he was all pro, or highly regarded leader in locker room, then that would be ok.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  14. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

yes hard to find….I hear we had interest in Conklin and Thuney but they chose other spots…smart by them. But maybe we are going to need to overpay at first.

sad part is that Tanny fixed our OL in one offseason. Hit on two draft picks in Brick and Mangold and signed two quality free agents in Woody and Faneca. Boom. Done.

I was hoping JD was going to have similar results, maybe not one offseason, but still. But after two offseason, this OL is no better than when he got here. The cheap free agent route is clearly NOT working.

SOJAZ and K'OB like this.
  15. Pepsiguy5

Pepsiguy5 Well-Known Member

Yeah I hate to say this. And as the last Darnold supporter on the planet I've been trying to stay calm and unbiased. But I have to say at this point I'm pretty worried that I'm not seeing a lot of magic in Zach. Not ready to give up or pronounce him the worst QB ever or anything but I think we all have a right to be concerned.

I'm not saying its not in there.... but thus far I haven't seen it.

16. legler82

I’ve seen good and bad. Hopefully, as he progresses we see a lot more good than bad.

ColoradoContrails and Pepsiguy5 like this.
  17. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

He struggled getting separation but caught everything through contact. Which is bizarre that he's dropping balls like he has. He has to be leading the league in drops.

Cman68 likes this.
  18. cval

cval Well-Known Member

It is a sign of overthinking. When you have to think instead of play mistakes happen. We think learning an offense just falls on the QB but that is far from the case. When you start pushing because you are behind you end up making more mistakes.

I did not know that about Davis so I am a bit more optimistic about Davis. It is even more obvious that All the offense of players are drinking from a fire hose and struggling to learn this offense.

19. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

Good thoughts. Here are mine.

JD - His job is to bring talent to the roster and I think he has done that, it's the coaches job to get that talent to perform. I don't see why JD gets the criticism for this bad start and Saleh seems to get none.

Drafting - I don't see the value of going through "what ifs." You can't go back in time. What's done is done. JD and Saleh made the choices they thought would be best for the Jets. It's their jobs on the line, so they're the ones who have to make it work. I didn't agree with many of those choices, but I'm not hired by the Jets.

Lafleur - I think he became intoxicated with Zach's BYU game film. He's got to simplify the passing game to short field throws. We all know what that looks like, throw to backs, throw WR, TE screens, crossing patterns, short outs, etc. I think he tried to do that in the Broncos game. Zach looked good on the one drive that almost resulted in a FG. He needs to keep doing that, even if the Jets fall behind by a lot. Zach's picks were the result of trying to come back from a big deficit through the air. When you fall behind by a lot, the other team knows you have no choice but to throw, and can just rush the passer with abandon. Those two picks didn't bother me. The four he had last week did.

Defense - is playing well. Good to see Q come alive. Love the Mosely hit on Gordon at the goal line.

20. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

We like PFF again now? It's hard to keep up.