David Harris Extended

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by franzman9, Aug 2, 2011.

1. MessyJet

MessyJet New Member

perhaps that's what matters in the present, but down the road this deal could be one that makes us all cringe

2. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

Harris is a consistent player, so I'm not worried about his play dropping off...especially because he's still fairly young.

I just think it's too big of a contract for a 3-4 inside linebacker.

3. GA Jets

GA Jets New Member

The average is $9 mil per year, but I bet Tanny wrote the contract to be cap friendly deal for this season and grow each season after this one.

4. Steve032

Steve032 New Member

Only 6.5 million is not guarenteed. I think Tanny was making a point that if you sit back and wait, you'll be taken care of.

5. Montana

Montana Member

I'm hoping the opposite, I hope Tanny ate every bit of remaining cap space for this year by front loading this deal, so we have more room in future seasons.

I'm happy going into this season with who we've got.

6. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

The rookie wage scale will also help us out in the future - this team will be good for a long time, so we'll most likely have late first rounders after most seasons.

...not much money invested in top picks. No more Vernon Gholston type deals ever again.

7. Pavlus53

Pavlus53 Member

JennyVrentas Jenny Vrentas
    Harris' agent, Brian Mackler, said Jets wanted to go longer than 4 but -- "there's no reason we can't get another bite at the apple." #nyj

8. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

If you haven't figured it out yet the only year that matters is the present year, that's how you end up with 18 FAs and two retirees like we did this year.

9. GA Jets

GA Jets New Member

The cap will grow each season, we still have some holes on the roster to fill (Ellis, TE, OLB, ILB, Safety)

10. ........

........ Trolls

Yeah, that's a disgusting deal. And we just guaranteed Bart's 2012 salary. Ugh.

11. IEightOne

IEightOne Member

Yeah but we still have a Mark Sanchez type deal. When is he gonna restructure? It seems imperative after dishing out this kind of pay for harris.

12. Mambo9

Mambo9 Well-Known Member

translation (veteran backup DE, backup TE, BT replacement, ILB depth, maaaybe a S).

13. Rockefella

Rockefella Trolls

The guy deserves it. I have a feeling its maxed out for this season to lessen future years too.

Would've preferred 7 or 8/year but the details aren't out yet.

14. Mambo9

Mambo9 Well-Known Member

All teams have to be under the cap by August 4... so if needed it will happen soon.

15. ........

........ Trolls

Bingo. I'm hoping we don't sign anyone else or acquire new contracts. We're going to lose some solid role players next year. Holy shit. Tanny has some huge magic to work next year. Thank God we have him. No other GM could dole out the kind of contracts we have. Our top 12 next year will be hitting the cap for about 100 million.

16. WW85

WW85 MOCKERATOR

Jet's just set the bar for ILBs.

I'm a big Harris fan and glad he got his payday, but it's a lot of coin for a ILB.

17. JCotchrocket

JCotchrocket Active Member

That's a bad idea. We need to pay Sanchez his money this year because of all the guarantees we've delivered to our linebackers in 2012.

18. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

Where's all of this money gonna come from?

Tight End is the only "hole" I agree with. An all-around tight end is a must.

Emanuel Cook and Dwight Lowery are pretty good depth players behind Eric Smith and Jimmy Leonhard. I'm still hoping James Ihedigbo re-signs, because DeJuan Morgan isn't going to cut it.

We're fine at defensive end - Mike DeVito, Muhammed Wilkerson, Marcus Dixon, and Ropati Pitoitua make a nice rotation. If Shaun Ellis wants to come back on the cheap, then I'm fine with it...but we definitely don't have a hole at defensive end.

Inside linebacker? David Harris and Bart Scott are locked in. Nick Bellore signed as a UDFA and Josh Mauga is incredibly underrated as a depth player. Jamaal Westerman can also play some ILB.

OLB - Jamaal Westerman is ready to step up. Rex has been praising him for quite some time. Garrett McIntyre is a player that Rex mentioned during today's presser.

19. Jets n Boys

Jets n Boys Banned

No, not all. I always thought he'd get around $8mil, and he did.

20. Jets n Boys

Jets n Boys Banned

Not really. over 80% of it is guaranteed anyways.