Darron Lee Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Charlie Kelly, Aug 16, 2018.

?

Darron Lee

1. lol

19 vote(s)
    38.0%
  2. lmao

13 vote(s)
    26.0%
  3. MaineJet is bad

17 vote(s)
    34.0%
  4. rotflmao

8 vote(s)
    16.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. PennyandtheJets

PennyandtheJets Well-Known Member

I don't really understand the point of trading D. Lee. We could absolutely use the depth. Makes little sense in my mind. I realize he almost certainly walks after this year, but are we really going to get anything in return?

stinkyB likes this.
  2. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

Lee might not be a starter but he should still get a lot of use as a situational player. We can use Lee on passing downs for Williamson. If we let Lee go as a FA next year we might be able to get a comp pick in 2021equal to or better to what we would get in a trade.

LAJet and stinkyB like this.
  3. GWjet

GWjet Well-Known Member

Lee is so cheap as long as he’s not going to be a problem in the locker room you gotta keep him. Whether it’s for depth or situational ( 2 &long, third down ) or even when we switch over to the 4-3 he’s your perfect weak side LB

Royal Tee likes this.
  4. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

I'd keep Lee. It wasnt like he was bad last year. Plus they may play some weird hybrid defense where Lee gets more time then we think.

dmarz45 likes this.
  5. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

It makes no sense at all to keep Lee.
    He's at most a situational player (who is not even that good in coverage) and will definitely walk at end of season.

Trade him now for whatever value he has left (prob a 4th or 5th).
    There is always some team that thinks they can reclaim the value of a former 1st rounder, which is the only reason we'd even net that pick.
    There is no shot at a comp pick. Lee won't command a big contract, and we'll be spending again next season.

Would also be better for Lee to move on at this point.

tomdeb and westiedog1 like this.
  6. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

https://www.dawgsbynature.com/2019/3/22/18275033/should-the-browns-still-try-to-trade-emmanuel-ogbah

There is definitely talks of Ogbah being traded.
    I'd pull the trigger on that.
    Maybe they can take Lee like they took Pryor off our hands. We got D Davis back on that sly move.

7. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

I don't get the lee hate TBH.
    PFF ranks him as above average overall and ranked him as 3rd in coverage for LBers as well
    I wouldn't trade him unless we can get at least a 2nd rounder personally. otherwise id 'rather keep him this season and get a comp pick when he walks. Alsow e won't be spending next season. we don't have much room. we are in good shape but i already did the numbers and we need to resign robbie and leo and we'll need a LT (beechum is off the books and could be resigned if we don't get a replacement) so there won't be any big bell/mosley signings next off-season for us. it'll mostly be draft + keeping talent we have in house

There is also the option that we option him for 2020 (we'll find out 2 months from now) and keep him over avery williams. I think gase and greg will want to evaluate what we have this year and make a decision. avery's contract is also up in 2021 and has an out in 2020 so maybe the jets decide to keep lee over avery?

Honestly i don't get the mosley signing. it's a ton of money for an ILB which was a position we were already young and strong at. here is the PFF rankings for all 3 (note all 3 are above average)

Williams, age 27, grade 74.13, rank 18, 2019 cap 8mil
    lee, age age 24.4, grade 72.4, rank 24 (ranked 3rd in coverage though as well) 2019 cap 3.1mil
    mosely, age age 26.7, grade 73.6, rank 22 2019 cap 13 mil

8. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

Interesting. I wonder if it's Lee or some other team that grabbed him.

PennyandtheJets and jilozzo like this.
  9. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

I'm not sure what those PFF statistics say, but to quote the great Groucho Marx: "Who are you going to believe, me or your own eyes?" To be sure, Lee makes plays in coverage and occasionally tackles runners behind the line of scrimmage when they are running wide. However, he is an inside linebacker and I rarely see him stuffing a run that's right at him. He is often easily blocked out of inside runs. The Jets would be better off with an ILB that's stronger at the point of attack. Hopefully, Mosely can fill that bill.

10. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

i get that for sure. lee is much like vilma as in much better suited to play in a 4-3 as a MLB then a 3-4 ILB. he's a smaller faster guy who is best using his speed to go sideline to sideline, but doens't have the size to shed off blocks. really wasn't a good fit for our defense but has still played well all things considered. Mosely has been playing great in a 3-4 for many years so he's a nice upgrade i get that just saying is he 15 million a year better then lee? i don't think so but hope i'm wrong.

11. I think maturity is a major issue w Lee. Now we’re gonnna expect him to be Ok and not be a disruption being a situational player?

Hes not a fit in this defense..hes questionable off the field & hes gonna walk next year. Get what we can for him when the team needs all the picks they can get

tomdeb and Harpua like this.
  12. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Tom Carvel was a dope.
    Ray Kroc tried to get him to go in with him on McDonalds but Tom said no - hamburgers and shakes don't go together. Then, a few years later, he tried this...[​IMG]

13. GWjet

GWjet Well-Known Member

Anybody know if DLee showed up for OTAs today ?

14. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

He was there today.

15. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

EDIT: Arg! Tweet already deleted. Some dude trolling for viewers claiming Lee was traded to the Raiders.. Ah well.

16. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

Matt Miller claimed a trade with the Raiders was gonna happen either yesterday or today, that's likely where he got the rumor from.

17. macbk

macbk Well-Known Member

18. ConcordeChops

ConcordeChops 2018 International Poster Award Winner

That’s the sort of trade I’m expecting for Lee although I don’t know why it would need to wait for draft day.

I think this is Mac’s “Plan A” so that we can draft the BPA EDGE in Round 1 and then address OL in Rounds 2 and 3. “Plan B” involves a trade down to address OL but missing a blue chip edge rusher.

KurtTheJetsFan likes this.
  19. Think the best way to justify moving Lee is in a player for a player scenario that fills a major need like edge,OL or corner. Thats one way out of this mess.

The jets shouldnt be passing on supreme talent bc of poor planning or filling holes..thats the exact opposite of what the draft should be.

Eliminate one of these needs & perhaps staying at 3 becomes more managable

CotcheryFan, FJF and ConcordeChops like this.
  20. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

Agree totally. In addition to all your points, if he's not starting he is on special teams. As Kurt noted, Lee is somewhat immature anyway, and I would doubt he would have the same energy for special teams as an undrafted free agent who is working hard to stay on the team. Most former first round picks are lousy special teamers, once relegated to that. Of course Lee could be the exception, but I agree take what you can get for him now.