Darrelle Revis?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by wildaces, Dec 15, 2012.

1. wildaces

wildaces Banned

I believe so, but that is being debated. It will depend on the voidable years. As it stands in the discussion right now is that the bonus was prorated over 6 years. $18 Million / 6 is $3 Million over 6 years. However, after the 2013 season, Revis becomes a free agent, and we are still on the hook for $9 Million. I believe that there is offset language to compensate. In this scenario, Revis could sign with New England, and we would still have a cap hit of $9 Million for him in 2014.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...her-top-picks/2012/07/17/gJQA78aerW_blog.html

2. The Uniform Bomber

The Uniform Bomber Spivey's Agent

Thanks for the summary and clarification.

3. AbdulSalam

AbdulSalam New Member

hopefully the Jets sign him and we can stop w/the trade talk. Trading your best player is quite dumb on several levels.

4. wildaces

wildaces Banned

So is Paying $25 Million in your secondary.

5. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

That blurb from the post has nothing to do with Revis situation. It's about the terms of players drafted under the new system where player salaries are capped by the rookie wage scale. One of the things the owners had to do to make that work was to create a real guaranteed salary structure for rookies on their first contract.

The blurb is about how teams are protected from paying outer year salaries on guaranteed contracts when they release a player they drafted before his contract is up and another NFL team picks him up.

The Revis prorated money on the cap doesn't fall into that category in any way. It's just normal prorated bonus money, like any NFL player accumulates on the cap over time. The hangup with that cap charge is that it is over two different periods of time. As it stands Darrelle Revis is playing under a 7 year contract with the Jets that runs until 2016. The prorated cap hit from his accumulated bonuses is 3 million a year under that contract.

However if Revis does not hold out between now and the end of the season in 2013 the last 3 years on that contract automatically void. At the point that they void all remaining prorated charges on the contract will accelerate forward and the Jets will take a 9 million hit on the cap on the first day of the league season following when they have to account for the cap charges for that season.

There's no actual money involved and no offset to deal with. An offset is when a player is owed money by a club through guaranteed salary mechanisms but another club then agrees to pay him some portion of that salary. If there is an offset provision in the contract then the previous club can gain relief by not having to pay the amount covered by the new club.

6. wildaces

wildaces Banned

That blurb was to explain offset to the previous poster that was confused. You are correct, it was taken from an article specific to a rookie, but has been around forever. It has come full swing and highly talked about now due to the rookie contracts.

That being said, please address the post where I broke out the situation. If you disagree with anything, that has nothing to do with offset, please let me know.

Secondly, do you really believe any GM would put them in a position of taking a serious cap hit, without having any control? If Revis plays out his contract, without holding out, he is able to walk in 2014. The only position we have is to match or beat out an offer (unless we get a home town discount). If we can't or won't we are still taking a $9 Million dollar hit. Not likely. That being said, in this scenario, even if we sign him, we still have a $9 Million dollar hit, but now we have to add his new contract in.

7. Barcs

Barcs Banned

They might want to trade Pou'ha or Holmes to clear cap space. That could be part of our way into the top 5. I think Ellis is going to be better than him down the road. If they get rid of Revis they are getting rid of Rex. No chance he allows that nonsense.

8. wildaces

wildaces Banned

I don't see anyone taking on the salary of either Holmes or Pouha. We would have to take a significant cap hit. The difference in the two cases is, I believe that Revis would bring offset money, and/or Revis might renegotiate.

9. NFL

NFL Active Member

Not the way this league is coming to.

10. wildaces

wildaces Banned

Is there any precedent as of yet for that kind of spending?

11. thirtyoddfreestyle

thirtyoddfreestyle Well-Known Member

I don't see how we have the cap space to keep him and sign our other guys. But hey, tanny has done it before

12. DevTeam

DevTeam Well-Known Member

Tanny might have "pulled it off" before, but we'll have to wait and see whether he can pull off staying on as the GM after the season.

13. wildaces

wildaces Banned

It is being debated that we will have a $9 Million dollar cap hit in 2014, with a player we will have to compete for. If that is the case, Tanny should be put in a mental institution.

14. wildaces

wildaces Banned

Has there been any clarification of what will happen if we retain Revis for 2013, and he walks in 2014? I can not believe that we would take a $9 Million dollar hit for a player that we can't retain if the player doesn't want to stay.

15. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

The truth is trading Revis may be exactly what this team needs, it will free up cap space for a free agent signing of a proven OLB like Shaun Phillips from the Chargers, then we hopefully end up with 2 first round picks in the 2013 draft. We have Cro who is playing the shutdown corner and wilson who is playing well. We can sign Landry back, which will make part 3 of a #2 pass defense and strengthen our secondary against the run. We have a 1st rounder to use on BPA and one for team need. Resign Bell for 2 years hoping that Antonio Allen can maybe take over starting in 2014. Cut pace as well, and Bart scott, and that leaves our D in the shape of... Wilkerson, Ellis, Coples on the line. McIntyre, Harris, Davis, Phillips for LB's. Wilson, Landry, Bell, Cro for the secondary. That sounds pretty nice to me. The entire D from this year is pretty much still there, except Phillips is added.

For Offense, we now have Holmes, Edwards, Kerley, and Hill at WR, so that's set for a year. We have Brick and Mangold, so I say re-sign Slauson and use one of our first rounders on an OG. Use the other first on BPA, a big time RB would be great. to finish out the line, bring back Austin Howard at RT. Sign Alex Smith!!! He and Sanchez can compete. for TE, we have Cumberland and (re-sign) Keller, he won't cost much. So with this done, we have need at RB, TE (Maybe Hayden Smith steps up?) #3 CB, S, LB. Nearly all of those needs are simply for depth, except the big one of RB. We need a solid 1-2 Punch at RB. so, let Greene walk, grab Steven Jackson. Find a back somewhere in the draft that can be the #2 guy (remember that 1st round BPA we have) and fill out the rest of those depth needs with our draft. Solid team, no Revis. BTW Revis is my favorite player in the League, but I'd rather have #24 in another color than watch another embarrassing season like this.

Someone tell me where they think I can make improvements in this scenario.

EDIT: Nothing wrong with grabbing a WR in the draft for depth too.

#95 MaximusD163, Dec 24, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2012
  16. tanknyc

tanknyc Active Member

Only way we should consider trading Revis is if it was for a proven almost can't miss franchise QB like A Peyton or Andrew Luck Caliber players coming out of College. Can't Say Brady because we didn't know Brady would do so well. We don't Trade to move up for a Defensive player we been burnt and Scarred by Gholston

17. tanknyc

tanknyc Active Member

Wilson is complete Garbage and he will be getting toasted for years to come if he is a Jet...

18. tanknyc

tanknyc Active Member

If Revis Signed To NE we would be In a world of hurt... Talib(who we should of signed when Revis went down) and Revis would form the best cb Tandem. Plus NE is young at LB and they have a good D Line. This would be a nightmare