Darrelle Mevis: I'd rather have more $$$ than be with better team

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Petrozza, Nov 4, 2013.

1. JetsVilma28

JetsVilma28 Well-Known Member

He hasn't done anything special this season. His team is 0-8. He missed an entire season in 2012.

His stock is falling, whether Revis homers believe it or not.

2. CJLang

CJLang Well-Known Member

Brady took a discount in his 2nd contract.

3. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Revis homer? Personally I would have dumped him after the first contract. However as someone who has followed the Jets since the mid 60's, Revis is clearly one of the greatest players this organization ever drafted. He performed at an incredible level for this team and while I think it was in the best interest for the Jets to part ways with him, I will always be a huge fan of his play for the NY Jets. He was great for us on the field.

4. MenOverGod

MenOverGod Well-Known Member

Lmao. I fully understand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Jets69

Jets69 Well-Known Member

An this surprises anyone? Revis has always been about the money, fuck him, he'll be irrelevant in the NFL, in a year or so, in NY he was the face of the Jets, BTW I wonder how he likes playing zone coverage? idziks greatest moment as a GM, was getting ride of him

6. Bellows1

Bellows1 Well-Known Member

Meh, his career could have ended last season with his injury, take the money while it's there.

7. NoodleArm

NoodleArm Well-Known Member

+1.

Another factor has to be Revis' advisors -- his agents. They don't necessarily get a cut from his post-playing career, so they don't necessarily care about preserving his popularity in New York or improving his image. The current system plays incentives on getting them the biggest contract that they can. So, advice based upon strategic thinking, especially about the long game (like you've done in your post), probably was not seriously advised by his agents.

8. pdxdrew

pdxdrew Well-Known Member

Revis is just in denial, he still wants us. He misses us. Like a spurned lover or a dumped bride.

"Revis, we know you wanted us, but you needed the money. That's okay. We will be together again one day."

9. Barcs

Barcs Banned

The only people that don't want to hear that are Jets fans because they are still upset that he left. People make way too much of twitter and tweets. Are you telling you've never sent a message out online anywhere and wished you could retract it? The dude was probably in a rush, saw that tweet and dismissed it with a quick sarcastic response. But of course all Jets fans seem to buy into this hype because of a half sentence tweet that he probably didn't even give his full attention to that he was a bad teammate and never wanted to win. That's ludicrous.

10. Barcs

Barcs Banned

Nah, his stock is right where it's been. He still got paid top defensive dollars even coming off a major injury. The losses aren't Revis' fault. That team actually does have a decent defense, but their head coach and offense need work. It's WAY too early to say anything definitively about Revis' stock. You have to give it at least a year. He's been playing more zone lately, rather than one on one, so we'll see what happens when he gets fully healthy.

11. Yisman

Yisman Newbie

Who would disagree?

Not sure what your point is. That the Jets are better than the Bucs?

12. JetsVilma28

Revis was a baller here in a Rex Ryan system; no doubt unbelievable player, in Rex's system. Now, he's just another quarterba I mean corner back (making $16mil). How much should Rex be credited for Revis play and brand (his payday)?

He was an incredible player, but we gave him "Revis island". We gave him Manhattan island. Rex put that young man in position and held old 24 up on a pedestal respectively to make big time plays and achieve image in the league.

old 24 gets the injury pass this year, but next year when shit still stinks in Tampa; his stock...

#92 JetsVilma28, Nov 5, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2013
  13. jdon

jdon Well-Known Member

he is just like his uncle.

14. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

making a dumb comment, or not a fully thought out comment, is not the same as making a PC comment.

politically correct is about saying what people want to hear, and in sports fans, not just Jets fans, fans want to hear that players want to win more than anything because the fans are invested in how the team performs not how much the athletes make. our emotional satisfaction is dictated by wins and losses, so we want to know the players are playing, or at least care, about those wins and making us happy. obvously we know money is important to them and it is a job.

it is ludicrous to claim that is an expectation unique to only Jets fans, and thus only Jets fans would interpret his comment to mean that.

if he mis-spoke, that is on him, but his comment can be taken at face value that he would rather make the extra $4 million than having more success this year on the Jets. Just because his comment is specifically about the Jets doesn't mean that only Jets fans would interpret it to only apply to the Jets.

or do you actually think if the question was would he rather make $16 million on the Bucs or $12 million to be on the undefeated Chiefs he would have said the Chiefs? he would have to pick the Chiefs for your argument to have any merit, and I think most people are wary that he would do so.

15. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Really stupid post. He was a great rookie corner. He had 17 PD's 3 INT's and over 70 tackles. He made the pro bowl in 08 with 5INT's and 16PD's. Mangini was the coach both those years.

When Rex was introduced as the Jets head coach, he called Revis the best cornerback in the league.

16. JetsVilma28

You think Mangini made Revis? You do realize the stats you listed double in Rex's system..? After Mangini got canned, Rex built this guys brand tenfold.

Terrible post :up:

17. Barcs

Barcs Banned

And it almost boned him in the ass. He lost all his best targets and the organization surrounded him by rookies and injury prone dudes like Amendola. Usually when you take a hometown discount it is to help keep the other people on the team, but the Patriots organization basically said, "Screw you, carry the team and take a paycut". If I'm Brady I'm heading to the Jets. The Patriots would have another 3 superbowls by now if they had a single pro bowl caliber playmaker on offense besides Brady

#97 Barcs, Nov 5, 2013
  18. Ozymandias

Ozymandias Well-Known Member

why are you guys getting so upset? can you imagine the uproar it would cause if Revis tweeted he would rather be on the Jets then the Bucs?

it's evident Revis is a product of Rex, he would love to come back. he isn't going to tweet something like that. especially with all the problems TB is having right now.

I'm sure all of their players don't want to be there right now.

19. Greenday4537

Greenday4537 Well-Known Member

The appropriate thing to do would have been to just ignore the reporter all together.

20. Barcs

Barcs Banned

Dude, it's a tweet and we don't know AT ALL that he is being honest. Guarantee, he'd give the same answer, even if it was Chiefs. To imply that he doesn't care about winning is absurd. The problem is you are trying to attribute meaning to a half sentence. To me, he's just defending his current team, and being PC without fully explaining it. I don't care what you believe it means. I said that only Jets fans would be mad about it (and perhaps rival fans of Jets). I'd love to see how many other team forums even posted this tweet / article, let alone had such a negative response. I'd bet less than 10% of NFL fans even know or care about this. It's a goddamn tweet on twitter. It doesn't matter. It's petty drama to keep the drama queens following football, nothing more.

I mean seriously, am I to believe that nobody on here has ever switched companies or relocated to another state for more money? Does that indicate that they don't care about being successful? No it doesn't. Does it mean that you didn't care about success in your previous location, since you choose not to take a paycut and go back after having a rough start in the new position? Nope. These guys are businessmen. Stop treating them like they HAVE to be blindly loyal to teams and shouldn't seek to better themselves. The hate is unwarranted, as usual.

#100 Barcs, Nov 5, 2013