Darnold, Fields, Wilson, Jones, Trask, Lance

Discussion in 'Draft' started by NOVAJET, Dec 28, 2020.

?

Fields, Wilson or Darnold

1. Fields

22.0%
  2. Wilson

26.3%
  3. Darnold

31.7%
  4. Other - Explain

10.8%
  5. Watson: 3 1st's

9.1%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

It was not a shot at you, I may not agree with your take on some things but I still respect your right to have it. It’s what I’m reading in the posts. It seems like the contaminated air from political thread has somehow permeated the board as a whole.

In everything we do in life, none of us here unless they are brain surgeons, have the stress and responsibility that a GM of a professional football team has.

We make things sound simple when we post about what JD in particular should do or not do. The truth is it’s not as simple as we make it out to be.

He’s dealing with financial responsibilities none of us can dream of unless we have a hedge fund manager on the board.

You don’t hear me saying he should be fired for not taking Sewell. I believe it’s @Bellys Lies who hates everything JD has done till this point.

We are all just sharing opinions not governmental mandates. The intolerance that has taken hold of the board is what is aggravating, not the disagreement on opinions.

It seems to me that we don’t read other people’s posts with open minds to try and understand where they are coming from, they are read to get ammunition to counter strike their posts.

Or I could just be completely wrong and need to adjust my views, which I have no problems doing if it means it will contribute to a more positive outcome on the TGG.

Ralebird, Rockinz, AJW and 3 others like this.
  2. Losmeister

Losmeister Well-Known Member

thats why he got hired.

Footballgod214 likes this.
  3. apjbfc

apjbfc Well-Known Member

I do wonder if we trade down and keep Sam. Them we take one of the other 3QBs in the teens somewhere.

We have a QB friendly scheme incoming and could be a fire under Sam to perform for us, whilst a rookie sits.

Jeeeeez it's a long way until draft day.

Sent from my M2007J20CG using Tapatalk

Rockinz likes this.
  4. Losmeister

as for @Red Menace and @NCJetsfan those long posts.

Jets fans are fatigued AF with shitty QB play. About 3 or 4 above abverage years in the last 25.
    Sam was sposed to be THE MAN. INstead, he's soft and THE WORST. so, *sigh* No one hates Sam. Nice kid, blah blah.

Also, in general people are fatigued AF. Covid. Election/INsurrection.

Peeps would been pissed we stand pat w/ McClown who was actually slightly above average that year-2017.

Even though I'd be annoyed AF if we dont do SOMETHING about QB. I'd pay attention to whats what cos new HC and staff and offseason and who we draft et cet.

matt robinson 17 and NYGANGGREEN like this.
  5. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

Just to chime in, actually the facts would suggest you are wrong. deferring a QB and building a team 1st has shown to be more effective overall.
    KC - built the team 1st, signed a stop gap (alex smith) he played a year, they drafted mahomes, sat him a year, he took over a good team and won a SB
    Hou - went for the QB 1st, did hit on the QB too (watson is great) didn't have a team around him, traded away assets to quick build and not waste his cheap years, failed and now they suck with no assets

other teams that deferred a QB were the seahawks where they took a flyer on wilson in the 3rd but didn't use a top pick for 1. got lucky with wilson as he won 1 but he wasn't as good then. the team won it with a top 5 defense and run game
    rams - built the team 1st, then drafted goff haven't won a SB but been competitive every year and made a SB
    Steelers - built a team, then drafted ben. got by with medicore QBs for a few years and were still good. ben won his rookie year but didn't play too great. they've been great ever since though
    bills - deferred to build a team 1st, then drafted allen and continued to add to that team. now they are 1 game away form the superbowl
    dolphins - built a team 1st, then drafted tua, went 10-6 despite him playing poorly thanks to the veteran stop gap

many teams hit on good QBs but failed to build around them and never won. the colts with andrew luck, the chargers with rivers
    raiders - drafted carr with no team around him. carr is good. not great but good, hasn't won shit
    stafford - a top 10 QB easily and a top 5 QB statistically every year, but no team around him. never had a defense or run game
    browns - deffered and built a team then drafted baker. baker hasn't been good but the team is good enough. if baker starts playing well they can be a SB team. if not they can replace him and be good. if stafford goes there that's a SB team

drafting a QB without anything around him is putting the cart before the horse. we did it with sam and it hasn't turned out well. we did it the right way with sanchez and despite sanchez sucking we did make back to back AFC champ games.

6. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Deaf ears. He already knows he's right.

7. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

You have to get a good QB when you can. Browns got one with shit team and went to play-offs in a couple of years after not winning a game. Chargers were a shit team, got good QB, won more, and now most desirable spot. Murray turned Arizona around. LA Rams were shit with 4 wins, got Goff and went to SB. Luck turned Colts around. Even for Giants, Manning turned them around - they picked them when they were weak. There are countless examples. And your own example of Watson actually proves the opposite: Texans were a play-off team when they got Watson! Had 3 winning seasons in a row. And even with Watson went to play-offs. Their problem was that they were mismanaged.

The point is, there are many examples when you get QB early or late, if it is a great QB, ultimately you are more likely to succeed. You get a great QB when you can. This draft according to pretty much every analyst is considered rich in QB talent with 5 expected to go first round. Aside from Lawrence we will have opportunity to pick the next best guy. This is a chance to get that great QB in the second year of rebuild - and on a rookie contract. Definitely a no brainer, unless unheard of opportunity to get Watson presents itself.

8. JetsKickAss

JetsKickAss Well-Known Member

You take Fields or Wilson IF and ONLY IF you are convinced they are BETTER ON DAY 1 than Sam...and have upside behond that. Same reason for taking Trevor Lawrence, though with more doubt/risk.

I don't envy JoeD. Could be one of the toughtest decisions on what to do in the NFL draft in years.....certainly FOREVER in Jets history.

NYGANGGREEN and Jets79 like this.
  9. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

Ya I’ve said since we lost 1 overall that JDs job became one of the toughest in the league. Now you add the whole Watson scenario into the mix out of left field. I really don’t know how this is going to shake out... before it was either take Fields at 2, trade back and take Lance/Wilson, trade back and keep Darnold as the 3 realistic options. Now throw Watson in the mix and the compensation involved. It’s just going to be a wild off season.

10. Losmeister

this says we need a different qb.

11. Losmeister

JD shoul be licking his chops

matt robinson 17 likes this.
  12. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

This is a great thread

so what can we all agree on?

1. Sam has been a terrible QB and has failed to develop
    2. We have not given Sam enough around him....terrible OL for most of his three years, below average running game and receivers
    3. Sam has had two terrible HCs in Bowles and Gase
    4. We need MUCH better QB play

All those are points that I think most would agree upon

the issue is really now down to what we think about Fields, Wilson, Lance, etc. and that’s where we seem to mostly disagree

common thinking out there would rank them Fields, Wilson, Lance, then who knows

we’ll see what JD and Saleh think ... personally I’m not super high on Fields or Wilson, but then I’m no expert QB evaluator. I think Fields comes from a school that, while a football powerhouse, NEVER develops NFL QBs...that’s a red flag for me. Wilson has some injury concerns and plays at D2 ... no idea how serious those injuries are, and there are plenty of good D2 QBs in the NFL, so again, not sure how much those matter.

so I’m not convinced that any of these guys are franchise QBs....certainly could be wrong about that, and history says at least one of them should be good.

if JD believes Fields is legit, then draft him at 2. If not, then maybe trade down a few slots and take Wilson or Lance. They can trade Darnold or keep him and let him compete with a rookie, even without exercising his option.

this will be so interesting, but the crux of it comes down to how they feel about Wilson, Fields, Lance,etc

13. matt robinson 17

matt robinson 17 Well-Known Member

Can't post in the Deshaun Watson thread for some reason....
    Deshaun Watson is currently the NFL's all-time leader in completion percentage.

14. matt robinson 17

matt robinson 17 Well-Known Member

100%

15. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

He probably is. I know I would be! It’s all about the right path now

16. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

Would a team risk a top 10 pick on a QB who has a season worth of experience? Something tells me Lance might be available in the teens or later.

17. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

I'm really tired of talking about Sam, I just think the evidence is overwhelming that he's REALLY bad and anyone denying that is doing so for emotional attachment reasons. I would just add, regarding the two bolded points, that there are advanced metrics that account for surrounding talent and they still have Sam rated very poorly. Sam was the only QB in the NFL with a negative EPA from a clean pocket last season. If your QB passing from a clean pocket is a net negative for your team then nothing else really matters. Regarding Gase, it's telling that Tannehill performed significantly better under him than Sam has. Tannehill did not have a strong supporting cast on the Dolphins, either.

#1297 REVISion, Jan 19, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2021
  18. Losmeister

did any ofthe above teams spend 4 high draft picks to get a FQB and then have that QB be the WORST starting QB in the NFL over the next 3 years

and then have the #2 pick in the draft as well as the #23 pick and then..... BUILD THE TEAM?

SOMETHING MUST BE DONE about the QB position. Darnolds play makes us more likely to lose on a consistent basis over 3 years.
    SOMETHING MUST BE DONE.

19. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

I can't understand how willy-nilly some people are acting about our QB situation. "We'll just get a QB next year or the year after, wait until the roster is ready for a rookie QB."

Being in a position to draft a top QB prospect is rare. There's a run on the quality guys very early and you're usually picking up scraps by the 5th pick. It's possible to get a FQB later in the draft, yes, but it's extremely unlikely. Most QB prospects bust, that's true as well, but the bust rate for guys selected early is way lower than for guys selected later.

If you think we'll be in a better position to take a top QB prospect in a draft after this next one you are most likely very wrong. It's a combination of the prospects not being as highly rated in 2022+ and the reality that we will likely also be drafting considerably later in the draft.

20. Losmeister

next years crop looks pretty damned thin @ the QB position.

also. look at this. this is nightmare stuff. our QB doesntthrow the ball properly alotta the time. look at this shit. all arm thros from tyhe pocket w/o pressure?
    this is terrible. rarely using his lower body/torso/toque to drive the ball.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.