Darnold, Fields, Wilson, Jones, Trask, Lance

Discussion in 'Draft' started by NOVAJET, Dec 28, 2020.

?

Fields, Wilson or Darnold

1. Fields

22.0%
  2. Wilson

26.3%
  3. Darnold

31.7%
  4. Other - Explain

10.8%
  5. Watson: 3 1st's

9.1%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Get me the Damn Ball

Get me the Damn Ball Well-Known Member

If LaFleur comes then I can see us taking Fields or Lance. We’re going to become a running team and what better way to do it by starting a dual threat QB in Fields or Lance. Harris becomes a possibility with the Seattle pick.

matt robinson 17 likes this.
  2. JohnnyP123456

JohnnyP123456 Well-Known Member

someone mentioned this in the other thread but I found the clip of Schefter in the past hour

The Dark Knight likes this.
  3. Get me the Damn Ball

Get me the Damn Ball Well-Known Member

He’ll be here next year playing out the final year of his contract

#1083 Get me the Damn Ball, Jan 14, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2021
    matt robinson 17 likes this.
  4. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

The classic pump and dump before they take the QB at 2.

5. baalworship

baalworship Active Member

The match with Lafleur is Wilson.

matt robinson 17 and REVISion like this.
  6. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

I wouldn't read too much into that or that they are going to keep Sam, because they are "better fit" for some system. These are young QBs - whoever has more talent will be taken. It's hard enough to predict who will be a good QB in this League, now they must also fit into some specific system? A good OC will modify the system for the best talent they can get, and youngsters can be molded as well and taught a system.

7. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I guess it depends upon how one defines "upside" but I define it as raw potential, still room to grow/improve, but the raw talent is there. I think Kurt is right that Lance has more upside due to Fields playing at a higher level of competition, he's more NFL ready, whereas Lance has the ability to play against higher levels of competition yet, but hasn't.

I think Fields is the better athlete, is faster, and a better runner. I need to watch more video of Lance, but in what I've seen already, he didn't impress me as a runner. He just doesn't seem as fast or elusive as Fields. That said, I think Lance is already a better QB than Fields in terms of reading Ds, processing quickly, making good decisions and I believe that he already has the ability to look off safeties and do some other things that I haven't seen many other collegiate QBs do.

Lance not playing this season and only having played one season is a concern, but then so is Wilson's small frame, previous shoulder surgeries, his 3/4 delivery which puts more strain on his shoulder, and only having one really good year; and Fields slow progressions.

and

IMO Lance seems to have had better coaching than Fields. I don't know if it is NDSU vs OSU, or if Lance received great coaching in high school or went to some QB camp, or just does some things naturally/instinctively. I just know that I was very impressed watching games from last year.

I have to disagree with you regarding Lance being a better ball carrier than Fields. I just don't see it based on the video I've seen so far. Maybe he looks a lot better in other games from last season that I haven't seen yet, but he looks somewhat slow and stiff to me. Fields is faster, more elusive, and seems to have better vision imo. That said, that doesn't make me like Lance any less. If he can pick up some 1st downs and TDs with his feet, that's gravy. I'd love to have a running QB, but first and foremost I want a QB who can read Ds, make great decisions, has great accuracy and ball placement and a strong arm to make throws that other QBs cannot. Lance checks off all those boxes.

I think it likely that all three of these QBs would be better served by sitting for at least the first half of their rookie season, and maybe the entire season. I still believe that the Jets should draft one of these three QBs and trade Sam.

At this point, I would be very happy with Fields, Lance or Wilson in roughly that order, but the order could easily change before April. Already Fields and Lance are pretty close to even imo, and Wilson is a little behind them.

8. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I disagree. I think Wilson is the weakest prospect of those three. I like him, but he has more red flags and areas of concern than Fields or Lance. All three are mobile QBs with strong arms. Wilson and Lance may go through their progressions faster than Fields at this point, but that doesn't mean that Fields won't be able to catch up. I don't see what makes him such the great fit.

Losmeister likes this.
  9. Losmeister

Losmeister Well-Known Member

i think alot of it is a sorta semiunconscious bias. the "eye test"... a feel of vibe on gets watching a player play.

went back and watched sams film @ usc. never felt that. saw ljs and was like..."why not just stick with #6 and take him? he's electric."

would be happy with any of the big 3 after TLaw.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  10. Losmeister

NCstate said sumpin about Darnold not wanting to change his throwing motion. i have no idea of that is legit.
    but he has stayed the same crappy mechanics guy since his 1st year at usc.

on the other hand....
    "Josh aLLEN
    the same guy who completed only 53 percent of his passes as a rookie -- and faced heavy skepticism that he would evolve into an elite thrower -- spent countless hours this past offseason refining his throwing motion. Allen realized he had a glitch in his release that caused his passes to either sail or dive when his mechanics weren't on point. So he worked at unleashing the ball more like a pitcher in baseball, where he's trying to drive the ball into the strike zone with the follow-through of his delivery.

Allen accomplished this by watching endless tape of Brady and Rodgers. He admitted there were many days spent frustrated by some of the changes because "they just didn't feel right," but he did what he's always done: He kept plugging away at it."

"

REVISion likes this.
  11. Losmeister

i heard urban meyer wants to trade down from #1
    cos Gardner Minshew hasnt been given enough chance to show what he has got

12. baalworship

It's not that they will try to find a system fit it's that the offense Lafleur runs highlights all of the strengths of Wilson. Shanahan offense is all about robotic precision, quick processing upstairs. Wilson read the field well, can create but stay within the system, ball placement.

Lance is a fit in a Daboll/Arthur Smith offense where the pre-snap read gets a guy open and then Lance can use his superior arm talent.

BTW, I do think most NFL teams will see Wilson as a top ten pick and will value Lance more in the mid 1st and beyond if you are asking about talent evaluation in a vacuum.

The other QB fit for Shanahan is Mac Jones but he is not a true 1st round pick talent, IMO.

ColoradoContrails and Losmeister like this.
  13. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Looking forward to the full analysis but:

https://www.jetsinsider.com/jets-land-big-win-with-robert-saleh-hire/

“We will have an article up later about what this means for Sam Darnold and the Jets second overall pick, but right now, despite any noise you’re hearing, it means nothing. You’ll hear some about how this system is perfect for Darnold, but the reality is this system is perfect for almost any quarterback. It is indeed the exact system that Darnold needs, but it’s a system that Justin Fields could easily run, a system that could absolutely get the most out of Zach Wilson and it’s a system Trey Lance was made for.”

GQMartin, ColoradoContrails and Borat like this.
  14. baalworship

Sorry, that's BS. There are some elements that could help Lance but overall the qualities that Shanahan looks for don't match at all with Lance.

15. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

16. Losmeister

was just pondering this. mac, i mean. how he is perceived (by me as well)
    put up some really solid #'s. this year compares favorably to Tuas only full year. of course tua splashed in the natty with a relief win as a frosh,
    went nuts his 2nd year.... but played poorly in his full year natty getting rolled by clemson.
    continued inpressive his jr. year but got badly injured on a dumb play.

this year mac rolled the team that rolled clemson... made the guy opposite (JF) look bad, after that guy had made TL look bad 2 weeks b4
    anyway... not drawing any hard conclusions but... mac may surprise. smart. accurate.
    people may be overlooking him too much.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  17. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

You are telling me that if Buffalo calls in to offer Josh Allen for #2 pick, Saleh is going to loudly scream at them to shove it up his and draft Zach, because that fits his system more? I don't think so. And Fields is a guy not unlike Allen who brings a lot of the same qualities. The truth is that the Jets and any other team will draft the young QB who they think has with best talent, as simple as that. Nothing his changed with LeFleur coming as OC.

18. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

This is such a crapshoot after Lawrence. He's the only QB in the first round group who has 3 years starting at the college level. Wilson had 2 and a half, everybody else is basically at 2 years or under.

I'm not sure there is actually a 1st round quality QB in the draft after Lawrence. Several will likely get taken but we are probably looking at an abnormal number of failed 1st round QB's as a result.

19. Losmeister

this is the public perception.

time will tell.

for me, the more its said, the worse it smells.

and the more i hope all the ones who have had no doubt and rooted for ourteam to lose games, are proven fools.

20. matt robinson 17

matt robinson 17 Well-Known Member

The game has changed qb’s that can use their legs are in demand. Darnold is not a runner and he’s the worst ranked qb in the nfl enter Wilson or Fields

HomeoftheJets likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.