Darnold, Fields, Wilson, Jones, Trask, Lance

Discussion in 'Draft' started by NOVAJET, Dec 28, 2020.

?

Fields, Wilson or Darnold

1. Fields

22.0%
  2. Wilson

26.3%
  3. Darnold

31.7%
  4. Other - Explain

10.8%
  5. Watson: 3 1st's

9.1%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Yeah, and it is a big decision, the more I think about it. We watched Devonta Smith last night. He will be a star. Sewell looks like a great tackle. Chase is another great WR. You'd hate to pass on one of them and then Wilson or Fields busts, so they need to be sure what they are doing. Plus Sam could succeed elsewhere too, so there are many ways for this to go wrong for the Jets. Douglas needs to find a way to make it go right.

2. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

Amen. I'm pretty flexible when it comes to the #2 pick but I will be irate if Sam is the starting QB next year.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

3. MoWilkBeast

MoWilkBeast Well-Known Member

What I want is irrelevant to the Jets. What you want is too. What they need to do is build an effective offense and there are numerous models available to do it. Nobody mentioned ground and pound or run centric but you. None of those teams that were mentioned are that, but they do have effective O Lines and run games and that is a viable model for the Jets to follow. What I want above all is to win and whatever it takes to do that is good with me.

Oh and if football routinely became like the NBA full of high scoring games where all teams do is throw then that is about the only thing they could do to make me stop watching. I like the physicality of strong line play, great physical D and powerful running. The best game I watched last weekend was the Rams one, because the Rams D was utterly mesmerizing.

4. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

It's still bizarre to me that Darnold leads this poll regardless of who the other choices are..

5. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

What I want is irrelevant to the Jets, but not to me. If they build it in a way I don't like, I'm done. I won't care if they win or not. I'll go root for a team that plays in the style I like.

Yes there different offenses that can be effective. It sounded to me that you were talking about a Ground and Pound-type offense. If not, I'm sorry if I misunderstood, but I think that's basically what the Titans are. They pound Henry again and agin, and then do a play-action pass or two. I've only seen them play a few times, and maybe they were aberrations, but in those games they mostly ran the ball.

We obviously like different styles of play. That's fine. I loved the old shootouts between O'Brien and Marino and would return to those in a NY minute. They were fun and exciting. I wouldn't want every game like that, but I want an offense capable of putting up 40 points every single week. I want some payback on all the teams that have kicked us around for most of the last 30 years.

6. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I agree with most of this, except I actually DO enjoy aerial shootouts. It's why I loved the Namath Jets and the old AFL. That said, I agree that you need a good defense - that's actually how the Jets beat the Colts: ball control and stout "D", but the Jets went waaaay overboard towards defense over the past 30 years.

7. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

When NFL began changing the rules to benefit the passing game (chicks dig the long ball), teams began to explode on offense. 400 yard passing games became the norm. And defenses starting drafting lighter and more nimble LBers and safetys to better cover freak TEs, Megatrons, and the freaky fast little guys like Devonta Smith, Tyreek Hill, Barrious, Welker, Edelman. Think Darron Lee (although Lee sucked, but that's where new defenses are headed to counter the passing attacks).

Not much point in 260 LBers missing their front teeth when you can't end the careers of WRs going over the middle anymore and teams were cutting their FBs and trying to become the next Greatest Show on Turf. Teams like Jets with Rex Ryan started going with 5 DBs and 2 'cover' LBers to counter the passing attacks of Payton and Brady (that's how we beat NE in the POs).

But then teams w/o a FQB began taking advantage of the nimbler, lighter defenses by drafting FBs and top RBs again (Ezekiel Elliot, Barkley, Derrick Henry, etc). And also QBs who could run with dominance were becoming the 'thing' (RG3, Kapernick, Mahomes, Lamar, Allen, etc). If you can't beat them through the air, beat them on the ground.

So now here we are.

Obviously we want a 400 yrds 5 TDs per game FQB/WRs/TEs. But if the best you can get is a 300 yrds 2 TDs per game offense, then you BETTER have a top Oline and top Running Game that can inflict their will on the other team's lighter, nimbler defenses, and to keep the Ds honest to give your passing game a chance, move the chains, control the clock, put points on the board, and keep the Mahomes of the world on the bench. Oh, and you better have at LEAST an avg or above avg defense (top12-10). It's really your only hope.

So in closing, if Joe Douglas thinks Fields is our next Mahomes, fine! Use up our draft cap on WRs, TEs, and more pass blocking Oline.

But if joe thinks our new offense will end up more in the 300 yrds 2 TD range, then he better stock up on run blocking olines, FB, RB, and an above avg Defense, cause he's gonna need ALL of it. And he can probably get his 300 yrds 2 TD QB somewhere other than 2nd overall.

#1007 Footballgod214, Jan 12, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2021
  8. azhar80

azhar80 Well-Known Member

Thank good ole Shotty for that. Your qb is getting chased every pass play, what do you do? Call pass plays that take 3+ seconds to develop. That really fooled the Rams.

9. MoWilkBeast

That's it really. You try to do what makes your team effective as a GM rather than chase an idealistic dream. There are only so many great QBs to go around. You can win with good QBs too if you are pragmatic.

10. MoWilkBeast

I do too. But as an exception rather than the rule. If 40+ becomes the norm it becomes nothing special. And as @Footballgod214 says, a good GM/coach combo will adapt and take advantage as teams bet lighter and quicker. If you have Aaron Rodgers you don't pound the rock 30+ times a game. If you have Derrick Henry maybe you do.

11. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

This is where I will disagree slightly, if I have Rodgers, as a GM I’m still trying to find Derrick Henry as a complement to Rodgers, and the opposite is true as well.

If I have Henry I’m still trying to find Rodgers, the name of the game is having as many weapons as you can and still have the HC manage the game correctly.

Bellicheat had Brady, however the Patriots still had a top 10 rushing attack every year Brady was there, the results speak for themselves.

JD is trying to build the same thing with Jets, strong offensive line and defensive line. It gives you the ability to control the game on both sides of the ball, Bellicheat has been doing this for years, it’s a very simple concept, he just ended up with the right QB after Bledsoe got hurt.

#1011 Red Menace, Jan 13, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2021
  12. MoWilkBeast

Fair point.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  13. WoodyHarrelson

WoodyHarrelson Well-Known Member

All I’m saying is if you have questions in Fields and Wilson, you pass. Because if you do draft them and pass on these guys, who will their weapons truly be?

The Dark Knight likes this.
  14. matt robinson 17

matt robinson 17 Well-Known Member

15. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

If Jets can somehow land Humphrey with that 34 pick I’d be ecstatic, but I’d be on board taking him at 23.

Yankjetfan, NCJetsfan and Red Menace like this.
  16. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Excellent points MoWilk. It's the job of the GM to decide the perfect mix/balance of his team. If he has a QB that will never grow beyond the 300yrd, 2TD per game range, then throwing MORE recourses into the passing game at the expense of the run game and defense is money wasted. In '09/'10 we had the perfect mix. We had an avg rookie QB, but we also had the #1 run game AND the #1 defense in the entire league. And went to the ACFCG TWICE with Mark Sanchez. We defeated ON THE ROAD Payten Manning and Tom Brady. We missed the SB by 15 minutes 2 years in a row. How? With a balanced, talented team.

So ya, we'd all like the next air raid offense with the next Mahomes putting up 400+ yrds, 5 TD, and 40+ pts all on his own. That's definitely a fun way to go. But our balanced teams in '09/'10 were a ton of fun too. Watching Rex's D fuck up the best offenses and winning games fans though we had no business winning. Wow! After our first wildcard win, I LOVED Rex's joyful proclamation: "3 home teams advance, and the NY Fucking Jets!!!!".

I just pray that Joe Douglas has a great feel for what his team 'is' (determined by who and what his QB 'is') and build the right, complimentary team. Lots of fun just ahead!!!

17. The Curse of Joe Namath

^^^^^^this is the major risk Joe Douglas faces passing on a QB and banking on Darnold

don’t get cute we need a Franchise QB!

18. matt robinson 17

matt robinson 17 Well-Known Member

I agree

19. Kryoptix

Kryoptix Well-Known Member

I don't trust talent evaluator at least I take their opinion with a grain of salt.

Darnold was also ranked as the best rated QB in years and many talent evaluators thought the Jets struck gold with him. Look at us now.

The system/coach/supporting cast is way more important than another over hyped QB.

20. The Curse of Joe Namath

I’ve argued time and time again why Darnold isn’t a franchise QB. Darnolds inability to read a Nfl defense, Poor decision making, poor footwork etc goes back to USC.

On top of the 25 million dollar option decision due in May, a new coaching staff coming in, this is no brainer reset time. If Douglas hedge his bets on Darnold finally figuring it out and a first round QB taken after Lawrence turns out to be a stud...

Major scar on Joe Douglas and it will be Hackenberg, Mahomes, Watson all over again.The most logical move is to get rid of Sam this year so you can retain something back.

Hopefully for the Jets future, Joe Douglas follows the analytical approach on this one

NCJetsfan and REVISion like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.