Darnold, Fields, Wilson, Jones, Trask, Lance

Discussion in 'Draft' started by NOVAJET, Dec 28, 2020.

?

Fields, Wilson or Darnold

1. Fields

22.0%
  2. Wilson

26.3%
  3. Darnold

31.7%
  4. Other - Explain

10.8%
  5. Watson: 3 1st's

9.1%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

What about Daniel Jones? There's a cautionary tale when it comes to Wilson.

2. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

What about him? I feel like Jones falls into the same category as Haskins honestly. There was only one team that was going to spend a first round pick on them. And I also think the Giants fell in love with Jones because his personality is nearly identical to Eli's. Nonchalant, kind of awkward, smart, etc.

REVISion likes this.
  3. JetsAreBadForYourHealth

JetsAreBadForYourHealth Well-Known Member

Winters was always a looks like Tarzan, plays like Jane type. But he had some use...even though he wasn't that good

NCJetsfan likes this.
  4. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

Huh? They are very different as prospects.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  5. westiedog1

Don't agree with you at all on this one. Jones came out of nowhere (Duke) impressing scouts with his pro-days and private workouts. There was tremendous buzz about how he was the sleeper of the draft. I don't think for a second that the Giants would have taken him in the first round if other teams weren't interested as well.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  6. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

I think if we take Wilson it is a must we sign CJ Beathard to help him learn the offence. Would be a perfect fit.

7. westiedog1

In what way? The only difference is the college programs they came from. Otherwise, they pretty much have the same traits:. big, pocket passers, somewhat mobile but not their main weapon, big arms, can make all the throws, smart, good leaders, etc.

8. baalworship

baalworship Active Member

Can we stop with the Wilson came out of nowhere storyline? I remember a friend telling me he was going to be an NFL starter in 2018 when Zach was a freshman at BYU.

9. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

As I said, I haven't seen enough of his tape to say for certain is this "not seeing the field" issue is a real thing or not, I just mentioned it because I've heard it several times. I disagree that Wilson is that same - I think Wilson is more advanced, although I also think he should sit for a while too ideally.

Where I see a difference between Wilson and Fields - and this is more subjective than anything - I think Wilson just has a "feel" for making plays more than Fields does - I hate to keep saying it, but when I watch Wilson I see a "poor man's Mahomes". Maybe that's because that's what I want to see? But other evaluators have said the same thing so I don't think I'm imagining it altogether.

I remain openminded, but I'm pretty comfortable in saying they should take Wilson at #2. And I would take Lance before Fields.

Borat and REVISion like this.
  10. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

This is the thing that Colorado Contrails, I and others have been discussing. They obviously were rating QBs as the NFL did 20 years ago (or at least 10-15). Today, most teams want more mobile QBs who are more athletic, can hurt you with their legs, and throw accurately on the move. IMO anyone that rated Rosen ahead of Watson and Mahomes has no clue what they're doing and should look for a new career, maybe in Tiddly Winks or Beach Volleyball or something. They were fixated on one aspect of QB play, and ignored leadership, coachability, ceiling/floor, athleticism, mobility, fit, creativity, and other aspects.

#2370 NCJetsfan, Feb 21, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2021
  11. REVISion

One of the knocks on Wilson is that he's not that big, it may actually be the primary knock on him (along with injury concerns). He's also way more accurate than Jones ever was in college. Wilson is known for being very good at throwing on the run if anything, not that he's a bad passer from inside the pocket but that's not his defining trait. Wilson is a lot more of an improviser than Jones was. Jones was considered solid everywhere but not really exceptional anywhere, that's quite a bit different than Wilson who is regarded as boom or bust by some.

Borat and NCJetsfan like this.
  12. NCJetsfan

Lance either has the same issue or the CS at NDSU has taugh him some weird shit.

13. REVISion

I generally agree with this. I would also add that if Fields' weakness is indeed being able to process the whole field I'm not sure that can be fixed. I'm not saying I think that's his weakness, just that I've heard that take from a concerning number of scouts.

We've all seen firsthand with Darnold that he just cannot process the game quickly enough in the heat of the moment to consistently do the smart thing with the ball. I hate to say it but when I've watched Fields I've definitely seen some moments that reminded me of Darnold. Refusal to give up on plays even when giving up is the smart thing to do, trying to play hero ball and forcing passes into double and triple coverage, etc.

Again, I really like Fields as a prospect, but these are some things I've noticed while watching his tape.

Borat and ColoradoContrails like this.
  14. NCJetsfan

The two aren't even comparable. I'm a huge Duke fan, and I never thought Jones was that good at Duke. He was well coached, smart, and knows how to play the position, but imo just doesn't have the arm, the creativity/playmaking ability, or elite talent that Wilson has. Huge difference between the two.

15. NCJetsfan

Not true. Another team, I think San Diego, was going to take Jones if the Giants didn't. They admitted as much.

westiedog1 likes this.
  16. Jonathan_Vilma

Wilson has a far superior arm than Jones had off platform coming out. He also had more mass coming out of college.

He wasn't a top rated prospect coming into the season. He didn't reach catch any fire as one until the end of the year. Hence the 'came out of nowhere,' label. Your evidence is anecdotal dude.

17. NCJetsfan

You couldn't be more wrong imo. Wilson has 10, maybe 100 times the arm talent of Jones. He is more accurate, more athletic, more mobile, has a stronger arm, has better field vision, and more of a playmaker. They have totally different personalities. They're both white and pretty smart. That's about where the similarities end.

18. Jonathan_Vilma

19. NCJetsfan

But isn't Shanahan's offense supposed to remove the need to see the whole field? I thought one the things that make is QB friendly is that they only have to see a part of the field, and the pre-snap movement makes reading the D much easier.

20. NCJetsfan

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.