Damien Woody on Becton..

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Cman68, Dec 31, 2021.

1. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

Regarding the bold - what do you expect Saleh to say? "Becton's a fatass who needs to get in shape"? He's never going to outright call his own player out. The fact that he even alluded to a problem means that there was 100% a problem.

If you need Saleh to openly bash Becton to the press before you'll believe there's a problem I don't know what to tell you.

2. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

Question for you since Mims is lazy with a bad attitude…why has he gotten opportunities to start and play meaningful snaps lately if this is true? If he was lazy or have a bad attitude, he wouldn’t have been out there. Period. Yet he’s been trotted out there…with the only time he hasn’t, was when he made those two boneheaded penalties and was benched. Then he came right back out the next game and played quite a bit.

3. REVISion

Uhhh maybe because we had 3-4 starting receivers out with injuries or COVID? Seriously?

Do you even watch the games?

#63 REVISion, Dec 31, 2021
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2021
    KingRoach likes this.
  4. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Are people really still defending Mims…

FJF, abyzmul and REVISion like this.
  5. KingRoach

KingRoach Well-Known Member

Yeah, they did great in that 2014 draft, it shoulda laid the groundwork for a better team.

6. Mogriffjr

I don’t need it but you do. I get it that you don’t like Becton and continuously call him “fat” etc and he’s a problem and an issue and I simply don’t think the staff feels the same as you do.

I surely feel he should get the opportunity as a 22 year old with a ton of potential to be this team’s franchise LT still. Move Fant back to RT/ hedge at LT and go from there.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  7. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

He was pretty good with the Seahawks and then he got hurt and devolved into a 6th lineman role because of somebody they drafted. He was pretty good in that role also. That's why the Jets decided to sign him for Gase's scheme last year. That and the fact that real LT's never hit free agency until they are stepping down.

I don't think there is a real problem with penciling him in as the LT next year as long as he is performing really well in that role. However he has to be performing really well so that if he steps down he is at least average as he steps down.

However starting 30ish and each season thereafter there is a real chance that he steps down or gets hurt and has trouble recovering his level of play. That's one of the things that marks the NFL vs other sports. 30 is a barrier for about half the players and then each year the percentage fading out goes up. Most other sports a player can play well into their mid-30's but in the NFL it's just a small percentage that manage that.

K'OB likes this.
  8. REVISion

Our own OC was calling out Becton during training camp yet you act like I have no basis for thinking the coaches have an issue with him.

I'm sorry but I don't think you even watch the games after the comment about why Mims has been getting playing time recently.

KingRoach likes this.
  9. Mogriffjr

Mims is bad, I don’t think it’s because he’s lazy or has a bad attitude. He seems to be slow off the line now, and doesn’t run good routes. Still, I don’t think the staff would trot out a guy to screw up Wilson’s development…they would simply put the next guy in there instead, especially if he has a piss poor attitude. I think he’s gonna get one more camp to show something or else he’s going to get cut.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  10. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Fair comments but mine was really just a joke tbh ;)

11. KingRoach

KingRoach Well-Known Member

NFL players careers tend to line up to how much abuse their bodies take over the years - see QBs vs RBs. I love the fact Fant didn’t step on the football field until he was 21.

FJF likes this.
  12. Mogriffjr

You’re the one who said there’s not a coach who likes lazy players. They simply don’t play, he’d be inactive if so. Play DJ Montgomery, Keelan Doss, Jeff Smith and anyone else if he’s that bad.

He played 55% of snaps, 3rd amongst the WR’s against the Jags. Guess he’s showing “something” I suppose…

13. REVISion

We've already responded to this yet you continue to ignore it. Mims got playing time recently because we were literally missing 3-4 receivers due to injury or COVID. What is so hard to understand about this?

Like I said, you don't even actively pay attention to the team or the games.

What does it tell you that Mims only got half the snaps even with us missing 3 starting receivers? He's legitimately the 6th WR on our depth chart and you're using that as evidence that the coaches see a lot of promise in him.

#73 REVISion, Dec 31, 2021
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2021
    KingRoach likes this.
  14. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

As the great Indiana Jones said, it’s not the years, it’s the mileage

KingRoach likes this.
  15. mattyd99

mattyd99 Well-Known Member

I mean he's not really a scheme fit. JD is in a tough spot. You can hold onto him, hope he comes into camp in shape for once, then hope he's improved where he can play in this offense, or you trade him and deal with this ungodly fanbase if he succeeds anywhere else.

More than likely we will hold onto him as he's cheap and there's still a good amount of hope there.

And that PFF article. Unless there is a named source in that, that is a complete pile of dog shit. Anyone of us could've wrote that after Woody came out with his quotes today.

NCJetsfan and FJF like this.
  16. Trainer

Trainer Well-Known Member

Some guys get the munchies worse than others.

17. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Yes... yes they are...:confused:

Lafleur defended the continued lack of production from Mims despite being healthy.

“He’s not having the season that any of us wanted for him, most importantly, himself,” LaFleur said. “I know what he wants from this league, I know what he wants from himself and he’s going to be resilient.“We’re going to continue to work with him. He’s fun to coach because you look at him, he hears you, he sees you, there’s eye contact and it’s just continuing to develop him and making him the best he could be. This is not the end of the story for Denzel.’’

https://nypost.com/2021/12/30/jets-mike-lafleur-rags-on-himself-for-lineman-td-play-call/

18. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Sounds like Mims has mastered the art of standing still and giving the appearance of listening.

Maybe that's what they meant by fundamentals.

19. AndyDrums

AndyDrums Well-Known Member

Becton and Mims are the only 2 picks from 2020 that I really wouldn't hold against Douglas. It's not JD's fault that Becton is lazy and fat, and Mims just doesn't give a f**k. The rest of it was a huge whiff.

20. REVISion

It's absolutely JD's fault...or do you think that a GM isn't responsible for analyzing the character of the guys he drafts?