Criticize Chad today???

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by John127, Dec 26, 2006.

1. John127

John127 New Member

Actually, I was happy to had drawn out others who felt like me early on in this thread, which was my intention. I very rarely start subjects, no other motive but to voice my opinion, believe me.

I certainly don't want to argue with anyone after a big win, but did you even enjoy the victory? I mean, I had a stomach ache and felt more relieved than happy afterwards, but I am enjoying it today.

Your screenname and 99% of your posts are negative - you don't "discuss" football. I just can't understand what pleasure you get out of being the "downer" on a message board?

#81 John127, Dec 26, 2006
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2006
  2. Dinobot 2

Dinobot 2 Active Member

Hahaha. Well you are negative 3rd. :beer:

3. fake_crs

fake_crs New Member

We beat a good defense last night. We also beat our arch rivals on MNF. A lot was on the line. We won. Life is good.

4. Dinobot 2

Dinobot 2 Active Member

I'm still busting. This is great! :martin:

5. Exit 117

Exit 117 Active Member

And I'm sure next year when CP has 5 TDs and 10 INTs and the Jets are 2-5, or this year when he throws 3 interceptions and less than 200 yards in a playoff loss, everyone will be singing a different tune.

6. ShadeTree#55

ShadeTree#55 Active Member

Got the lotto numbers? Mr soothsayer.

7. fake_crs

fake_crs New Member

question: 3rdanddraw, what would you say if Chad won a SB for us? Just wondering.

8. Exit 117

Exit 117 Active Member

Go ahead and keep making your sarcastic posts that involved ZERO football insight and just bash the realists after the Jets win. Pennington is bad for the Jets, and you know it.

9. ShadeTree#55

ShadeTree#55 Active Member

I know Chad is a Jet legend.

Some insight...LOL

Predicting a 2-5 Jet start without seeing the schedule.

That is being a realist? Wake up dude.

10. 3rdAnd15Draw

3rdAnd15Draw Well-Known Member

Probably the same thing you'd say if Clemens came in and won a SB for us.

11. silent scream

silent scream Well-Known Member

Last night was a huge win and I'm enjoying the hell out of it.

Chad wasn't good but he didn't lose the game for us either, and when it came down to it he made the throws he needed to make. The first down runs were nice as well.

We won the game which is great, but Chad is certainly not immune from criticism as far as I'm concerned.

12. John127

John127 New Member

I need to state that if Clemens is the second coming of John Elway, overtakes Chad as the starter, and wins a SB that will obviously be fine by me. However, since we know nothing about Clemens and Chad is winning ,I find it ridiculous to criticize him right now.

13. Exit 117

Exit 117 Active Member

It's an example. I'm predicting that Chad Pennington will not be able to get away with all of the horrible throws like he made most of this season for his entire career.

14. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

cmon guys - i am enjoying this "surprise" season as much as the next guy but you just cannot sit here and be ignorant to the fact that pennington may eventually be the limiting factor on this team......

the CP sunshiners are absolutely right in their assessments. he is a very good QB for a ceratin type of system and team which allows you to be successful against at least 1/2 of the NFL teams on any given sunday.....

HOWEVER - the CP darksiders are also correct in SOME of their assessments about CP not being able to win a superbowl. Well, unless the jets build a juggernaut around him that is probably true. If the jets can infuse more talent at the skill positions on offense and upgrade the front seven on defense - they will be expected to compete with the elite teams that own very aggressive defenses and will eat CP alive - as we have seen a glimpse of over the last few years.

bottom line - for the jets to step up into the next level their offense needs to step up and IMO, pennington unfortunately is not physically equipped for that leap. - unless the jets do build a juggernaut on defense than i would be happily proved wrong.

jil

15. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

Tony, I think you almost have it all right there. The only thing I would add is that there are those among us who doubt that Pennington (given his strengths and weaknesses) will be able to lead this Jets team to the Super Bowl, since we believe that it would only happen if the Jets had a dominant running game and a dominant defense (the Trent Dilfer / Baltimore Ravens model), and that is unlikely to happen in the next couple of years. This is the QB version of the Herman Edwards debate - not whether he's good enough to get a team to the playoffs (which Herm obviously was, and Chad obviously is), but rather would his limitations make it almost impossible to get to the Super Bowl.

I have said many times that IMO the "true fan" arguments are ridiculous, so I'll leave that alone. I doubt that there is ANYONE on this board who thinks that Clemens or Ramsey would have led the Jets to as good a record as Chad has this year. I never expected this year to be this much fun, and Pennington gets plenty of credit for that. That, of course, has nothing to do with whether Pennington had a good game yesterday or not. Count me among the people who think that a horrible pass that should have been intercepted does count against a QB, and a two-yard shovel pass that the RB takes 64 yards is a sign of the runner's abilities, not the quarterback's. To me, the stories of yesterday's game were Washington making several big plays, and the Jets defense shutting down the Dolphins offense almost the entire night. And let's also not forget Saban doing the Jets a big favor by kicking that FG on 4th and 1 from the 7 yard line with 2:09 to go. I thought that was an insane decision for the coach of a 6-8 team to make, particularly since Ronnie Brown averaged more than 6 yards per carry in the game.

16. fake_crs

fake_crs New Member

wrong, if Clemans came in a won a SB for us I would be just as happy. See? Thats where you and I differ. I am a Jet Fan. You are not, or only when it fits your agenda.

17. Exit 117

Exit 117 Active Member

Yeah, what he said.

18. Exit 117

Exit 117 Active Member

I don't think 3rdand15, or any of us Chad realists, would be unhappy with a Jets SB win led by Pennington.

19. 3rdAnd15Draw

3rdAnd15Draw Well-Known Member

Well, that's what I said. Or are you now not only telling me that I'm not a Jet fan but that I don't know how I would react in a hypothetical situation?

20. John127

John127 New Member

I hope you're wrong, only because it's hard to sit through growing pains with a young QB, but you make some very fair points.

I just would add that I, and most of you I suspect, never thought he'd be this good physically this year. Who knows how is arm will be next year? Remember, when Chad was being compared to Joe Montana (before the injuries)? He didn't have a rocket arm then either. If he can get back to where he was (he may already be there) we could be set at QB for a few years.

I'll reserve judgement until he has a running game to play with.