Could Todd Bowles bring Cromartie Home?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by perpetualchange, Jan 14, 2015.

1. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

I've rewatched all the games, and in some cases multiple times. The offense was such a mess, that i really focused in on the D.
    you are correct that the discussion would be more fruitful if we could break down tape on here.
    short of sharing tape, i'll share with you Peyton Manning's take on the Jets defensive gameplan.
    “It’s tough to throw the ball when they have eight guys in coverage every single play, they’re disrupting some of your receivers outside,” Manning said.
    http://www.denverbroncos.com/news-a...-vs-Jets/60f47145-c006-4b4a-ba6d-dced6352d11f

If you don't think we were playing a coverage intensive, Safeties deep, gameplan against Denver, i don't know what else to say.
    I can cite other games as well. We didn't use the same game plan week in and out.
    We did still have plenty of Man coverage throughout the year, but nearly as much as years past.
    And we certainly changed personnel combinations up regularly, which you seemed to have forgotten.

you don't need 2 All Pro's at CB, and there is certainly more than one way to win in the NFL.
    you cannot be weak at CB any longer though. it is the easiest position for opposing offenses to exploit.

Teams looking to improve their corners is not some recent 'fad'.
    Corners are drafted high every year, and their FA value has been trending way upwards since Clements deal over a decade ago. it's not about to change.
    and most importantly, our coach emphasizes the position. it's time we listen to what the coach needs no?

Outside of the injured Milliner and McDougle, along with Williams, who do you propose we fill out the roster with?

2. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

You said it yourself there was plenty of man defense all year. We shouldn't have played nearly any man defense this year with all the injuries and lack of depth! We weren't talking specifically against the Broncos game in which you're right it was primarily a 3 man rush. It just shows Rex's stubbornness and inability to want to adjust to his personnel and really just force his system down everyone's throat regardless of the personnel restraints. I like Rex and all he did for us but he did not help his case at all this year.

As far as what does and doesn't work there are several ways to win in the NFL. Pouring tons of money into one position that isn't quarterback generally doesn't work regardless of where it is. It'll leave deficiencies elsewhere.

3. TonyMaC

TonyMaC Well-Known Member

at this point I pretty much EXPECT Cro to be back, and really he's the perfect auxiliary acquisition at CB.

Cro won't come at outrageous prices, probably 4 mil per at best, meaning we can easily fit another long term answer at CB.

He'd bring a necessary dose of been there done that to a CB corps whos most experienced man is the 4th year Walls. and he can conceivably start right away as easily as he can be benched. We need like 1.5 starters at CB and he's the .5.

this is an excellent signing in tandem with another, an okay one on its own.

4. BacktoQueens

he made adjustments, and altered defensive game plans based on opponents and lack of personnel, all while searching for answers to hide the secondary handicap.
    how is that stubborn? the defensive game plans we had to utilize this year were nothing like that of Rex's successful defenses in the past. he was playing something completely different, because of the lack of personnel. that's not a good position to put a coach in.

the adjustments didn't work very well either. again citing the Broncos game, we had to concede the run in order to limit the bleeding in our secondary. And Manning still managed 3 TD passes against 8 in coverage. that was all w/o man coverage.

that's what we want for Bowles? of course not.
    there seems to be this notion that simply changing coaches has improved our D. not sure if that is what your advocating, but that's the notion i find ridiculous considering the track records.
    Bowles will need help in that secondary in order to run anything similar to what worked for him in Ariz, and he's flat out said he wants good corners in order to execute his system. let's listen to him.
    We don't necessarily need to 'pour' money into CB in order to improve it, but we cant just hope for the best while sitting on a ton of cap........yet again.

EDIT: let's end the debate on what was wrong in the past, and shift towards solution.
    Who would you like to fill out the CB roster with?

5. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

Regarding the foregoing debate...

Since I am not prepared to blame the entire dependence on Smith on Idzik, the one aspect of the way that Idzik handled the team that was CLEARLY on him was the poor handling of the Cb position. Time after time after time the Jets saw other teams get Cb's they could have gotten, starting with letting Cro go with no good plan to replace him. Remember when KC cut Flowers? Nothing about the Jets trying to get him. Instead they relied on Patterson, and two oft injured players. And all for a coaching staff that relied on Cb's able to play man coverage. What a shitstorm. I have no doubt this was the single biggest reason Idzik is now out of work. I even think that if all he had done differently was retain Cromartie, he would more likely than not still be employed.

While Bowles is personality wise a different guy than Ryan, he is similar in basing his D on Cb's able to play man. NO WAY Mac does not try and get Bowles at least an adequate Cb roster. No way, Just watch, no matter what some here think who discount the importance of the position. Thankfully we can be sure Mac will not follow the logic of that path down in flames.

BacktoQueens and chris5533 like this.
  6. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I would sign Cromartie, and the likes of Patrick Robinson/Chris Culliver/Buster Skrine/Perrish Cox/Davon House. Someone you don't have to break the bank for.

Hypothetically speaking let's say we go out and sign Cromartie for between 6-7 mill and Revis for 13-14 mill. You give Mo a contract extension at about $12 mill and resign Damon Harrison to keep the run defense strong at $4-5. On the low end that's about $36 million right there with $12 mill to work with. How do we fix one of the guard spots? Inside linebacker? Outside linebacker? Where do we add another runningback and quarterback? Are we going to add another offensive playmaker somewhere?This is all before even considering resigning Powell, Jarrett, etc. And some of the special teams guys.

I am not advocating not signing a couple corners I'm advocating that we don't go give some guy a ridiculous $10-$14 million Contract On top if the given that we're bringing Cromartie back. We need to bring in two NFL caliber players. But we can't try to fix other spots on the team. I'd be much more comfortable throwing a big deal at Justin Houston than I would a corner.

101GangGreen101 and NCJetsfan like this.
  7. BacktoQueens

^ i'd be ok signing Cro and another value CB who can effectively start if need be, so long as we re-sign our own, plus sign an impact guy elsewhere on the D.

If Cro is actually looking for 6-7M though, i'd rather double down and sign Revis as that impact guy, or go after Maxwell or Williams for similar money instead. Cro for around 4-5M, would get me a lot more interested in signing him.
    unfortunately for us, this crop of FA CB's is not as good as last years.

8. NYJalltheway

NYJalltheway Well-Known Member

Well he straight up is coming back if we want him. His comments today couldn't be more clear. Make it happen Mac!

9. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

What did he say?

10. NYJalltheway

http://www.playerline.com/#nfl/player/antonio-cromartie
    "Speaking to the New York Post, Cromartie, who spent 2014 with the Cardinals, was asked about the chance of returning to the franchise he spent four years from 2010-2013 with. "It would be an easy choice, if the opportunity presented itself," Cromartie said."

11. Newyawka

Newyawka Member

Paul Schwartz @NYPost_Schwartz
    Antonio Cromartie on a reunion with the Jets: "It would be an easy choice, if the opportunity presented itself.''

Paul Schwartz ‏@NYPost_Schwartz
    Cromartie says he wants to have a chance to win a Super Bowl with his next team. "I don't think the Jets are rebuilding at all,'' he said.

Paul Schwartz ‏@NYPost_Schwartz
    Antonio Cromartie on new Jets coach Todd Bowles: "You're gonna see more blitzes, more than you saw from Rex Ryan, actually.''

12. NYJalltheway

Less than a minute too late sucka! haha

13. NYJalltheway

Also, I learned from searching Playerline, that we apparently won't be bringing Kyle Wilson back, it's doubtful we pick up the 2016 option on Coples, and we will tender Snacks as a 1st round pick. All this deserves it's own thread, but I don't feel like doing that atm.

Walt White and chris5533 like this.
  14. TonyMaC

TonyMaC Well-Known Member

playerline? whats that? is that a reputable source?

not that any of that is unbelievable. Coples can probably be had for less than the 7 million or so he'd get on his 5th year option as a LB or D-lineman. he may not even be an every down player for us… maybe.

15. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

That's a feed from espn...maybe semeni. Yeah, that 7 mil ain't happening, nor should it

16. NYJalltheway

Yeah it's an app I think @Falco21 showed me it. The original source is Cimini too. I can post it if you want to see.

#136 NYJalltheway, Feb 14, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2015